Little Children by Tom Perrotta

Little Children (2004)

by Tom Perrotta

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (writemeg)
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (Cecilturtle)
    Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unexpected disruptions to everyday routines cause otherwise comfortable suburban communities to unravel in these witty, character-driven novels. However, one shocking catalyst drives the plot of Big Little Lies, whereas various factors contribute to the drama in Little Children.… (more)

English (90)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (91)
I wasn’t sure how I was going to like this book when I picked it up for many reasons. A huge one being that the only other book by Tom Perrotta I’d read was The Leftovers, which I had really high hopes for, but it left me completely unimpressed. On the other hand, I really enjoy reading family dramas and wanted to give Tom Perrotta another shot. Little Children left me with a much better impression. Although there were still things I didn’t enjoy about the book, it was a good read overall.
Sidenote: WHAT'S WITH THIS GUY AND OPEN ENDINGS? Seriously. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jun 8, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book, for the most part; though, I can't say I was all that thrilled with its WTF ending. I thought the conclusion of the movie version was more fitting. ( )
  AMANDALAWR3NCE | Jun 14, 2014 |
This book was fun and entertaining until the last 20 pages. There is no resolution to any of the "dramas" of any of the characters. This I found to be annoying. ( )
  zmagic69 | Feb 19, 2014 |
This was quite an easy quick read. Set in modern American suburbia, two bored parents begin an extra marital affair. This is very much a character study. Thought provoking rather than earth shattering. ( )
  cathymoore | Oct 20, 2013 |
This book was suggested as discussion material for the upcoming Yale Reunion. I read it quickly; I usually do not favor novels of the current time. The first chapter had amusing comments on the background noise of child rearing and suburbia in the recent past, then the author concentrated on his characters, all of whom are sexually obsessed. The handsome stay at home dad, Todd, "the Prom King" enthralls the ladies at the playground, and starts an affair with one of them, Sarah. He almost elopes with her but is injured at the end of the novel. His wife Kathy is a film maker, and makes him regret losing her sexuality. The prison released sexual pervert is harrassed by an ex-cop, and at the end, there are resolutions, hugs, and relief. Characterization is deft, and the motives, thoughts and feelings are true to life. Often, in these novels, one thinks the main character is too stupid or blind not to notice what is happening in the plot, but that is not the case here ( )
  neurodrew | May 11, 2013 |
"I have a lover! I have a lover!" she kept repeating to herself, reveling in the thought as though she were beginning a second puberty.
--Flaubert, Madame Bovary
In memory of my father, Joe Perrotta
The young mothers were telling each other how tired they were.
Not everything is God's will. If your VCR's broken, you don't take it to a priest. You take it to the VCR guy.

Tom Perrotta's thirty-ish parents of young children are a varied and surprising bunch. There's Todd, the handsome stay-at-home dad dubbed "The Prom King" by the moms of the playground; Sarah, a lapsed feminist with a bisexual past, who seems to have stumbled into a traditional marriage; Richard, Sarah's husband, who has found himself more and more involved with a fantasy life on the internet than with the flesh and blood in his own house; and Mary Ann, who thinks she has it all figured out, down to scheduling a weekly roll in the hay with her husband, every Tuesday at 9pm.

They all raise their kids in the kind of sleepy American suburb where nothing ever seems to happen-at least until one eventful summer, when a convicted child molester moves back to town, and two restless parents begin an affair that goes further than either of them could have imagined. Unexpectedly suspenseful, but written with all the fluency and dark humor of Perrotta's previous novels, Little Children exposes the adult dramas unfolding amidst the swingsets and slides of an ordinary American playground.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:38 -0400)

A group of young suburban parents, including a stay-at-home dad, a former feminist, and an over-structured mom, finds its sleepy existence shattered when a convicted child molester moves back into town and two of the parents have an affair.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,918,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible