Antioxidants: And Other Stories by Terry…

Antioxidants: And Other Stories

by Terry Bennett

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers (whitewavedarling)
    The Beach by Alex Garland (whitewavedarling)
    The Best Seats In The House And Other Stories (Western Literature Series) by Keith Lee Morris (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: If you enjoy one of these collections, you should enjoy the other---both are full of unique worthwhile stories, varieties of believable characters, and solid atmosphere-inducing writing that reminds you why short stories can be such nice quick vacations. Neither collection will leave you feeling as if the author can only deal with one theme, character, situation, etc. Both these authors create many worlds in their pages, and all are worth delving into if you're interested in short stories.… (more)

This collection of short stories is worth the read for any fan of short fiction. Bennett has created in each story a unique and believable world with characters, emotions, and situations all of its own. This is Not one of those collections where you quickly become aware that the author constantly reuses a particular theme, character, or setting---instead, the variety here is astounding and intoxicating, each story a small page turner in itself. Every story surprised and delighted, and I was never disappointed in any of the content.

Structurally, I only have a slight grumble; someone should have considered putting the title story in a different spot in the collection. The title is a fitting title for the full work, but my only warning is that the title story, "Antioxidants", simply doesn't fit in with the rest of the stories. It's a strong and worthwhile story, but it's also something of a false start to the book. This is the only story that doesn't deal strictly in realism, and it wouldn't have stood out so much had it been later in the book, but as is, I'm afraid some readers might read this first short short story in the book, and put it down instead of venturing further. I know I often judge a book of short stories on the first story while sitting in a book store, and it was just luck that I picked this one up at a discount store before reading any of the stories, and so was committed. As is, I'd just ask that you read at least the first two before you judge the book. As I said, the first is also a solid worthwhile story, but it's not so reality-based as the others.

That said, I can't recommend this book enough to readers of contemporary fiction and/or short stories. On a side note, if you're interested in sports related literature, the last short story (though it's nearly a novella) in the work is a tight story about a boxing trainer and his life, and well worth the while. The full book, though, is worth reading, rereading, and passing on. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote whitewavedarling | Aug 12, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,188,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible