The Toynbee Convector by Ray Bradbury

The Toynbee Convector (1988)

by Ray Bradbury

Just-average Bradbury; too many obvious and derivative stories. But, this is only in comparison to his masterful works like The October Country. If this is the first Bradbury you read, you ought to like it just fine. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
I like his earlier work better, when he wasn't so (apparently) self-conscious. This seemed like he was trying too hard, or something - more forced than natural & sincere. I wish I could remember it better so I could explain what I mean better. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This volume of short stories runs the gamut from sweet love tales to wild sci-fi yarns. Some are extremely funny and others are downright creepy. There are a few that I just didn't understand but for the most part I enjoyed this book immensely. I loved "Trapdoor" - after living in a house for 10 years the occupant suddently notices an attic trapdoor they'd never seen before.......hmmmm. In "One for His Lordship, and One for the Road" a group of Irish workmen find their way around a rich man's last will and testament and the dispensation of his wine cellar. "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" is charming and "Junior" defies description but I laughed out loud. This is my first book by Bradbury and it won't be my last. ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
This collection of short stories was originally published in 1988. At the time I heard an interview with Bradbury – probably on NPR – and one story in particular was mentioned. A tender love story titled The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair. I was surprised, knowing, and loving, Bradbury as a science fiction writer. I shouldn’t have been; Bradbury’s writing has always tapped into emotions, and love and regret are two that we all come across in our lives. I’d forgotten the name of the collection, but remembered the story and last year I decided to find it again. I’m so glad I did.

Most of the stories are the type that we more typically associate with Bradbury – time travel, science fiction, paranormal, horror. A couple of the stories reminded me of Something Wicked This Way Comes, with a lurking evil and a tension that made me want to jump into bed so whatever lurks under there couldn’t grab my ankles.

Some of the stories combine genres. The Love Affair has a lonely Martian willing to face certain doom for the sound of music and the hope of companionship. Colonel Stonesteel’s Genuine Home-made Truly Egyptian Mummy gives us a wonderful young/old generational story combined with adventure, wonder and fright.

One completely delightful surprise was Junior featuring a group of senior citizens with healthy libidos. But for me, the star of this book remains The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair. It’s the story that forced me to look at Bradbury with new eyes and to appreciate his skill at crafting a story that engages, entertains, and kindles the reader’s emotions.

NOTE: Second reading 07January2016 ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 14, 2016 |
Not among Bradbury's best, but this still has some interesting stories, and his prose is as lively as ever. My two favorite stories are probably the funniest ones: "One for His Lordship, and One for the Road!", a comic rebuke to wine snobs who don't want to share (even after death), and "Colonel Stonesteel’s Genuine Home-Made Truly Egyptian Mummy", which is as good an explanation as any for Bradbury's birth as a writer. ( )
  bostonian71 | Mar 3, 2013 |
And this one, with love, to my grand-daughters JULIA and CLAIRE and GEORGIA and MALLORY
Good! Great! Bravo for me!

A collection of twenty-three short stories by Ray Bradbury.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible