Prep: A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld

Prep: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Curtis Sittenfeld

Member:laurelosterkamp
Title:Prep: A Novel
Authors:Curtis Sittenfeld
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 448 pages

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (2005)

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart (cataylor)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (citygirl)
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (SqueakyChu)
    Moo by Jane Smiley (sweetbug)
    sweetbug: Moo is also a coming of age novel, but it is set in a Midwestern college town at an ag school (hence the title). More humor and less drama than Prep, but a similar feel.
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (SqueakyChu)
    College Girl by Patricia Weitz (cataylor)
    Conversion by Katherine Howe (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Prep is realistic fiction written for adults and Conversion is a YA mashup of suspense and historical fiction, both books detail the complex social interactions of elite Northeastern prep schools with intense, sometimes gut-wrenching, precision.… (more)
    The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach (ominogue)
    If I Knew You Were Going To Be This Beautiful, I Never Would Have Let You Go by Judy Chicurel (charl08)
    Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (eenerd)
    Crush by Jane Futcher (veritas)
    veritas: Prep is a far more sophisticated novel in a lot of ways, but Crush evokes a very similar feeling.
    Whores on the Hill by Colleen Curran (jbarry)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (derelicious)
    Testimony by Anita Shreve (kirsty)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (amyblue)

English (124)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (128)
Wow! What a ride! I thought this was going to be your typical "boarding school" story but it went much deeper. I'm not sure I enjoyed it but it intrigued me intellectually. I'd be interested to read more by this author. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
My views on this novel are extremely ambivalent. Ms. Sittenfeld is an excellent writer. Her prose is well-crafted, her characters are complex, and the conflict is gripping. The story of what transpired with her crush during Lee's senior year is painful to read. I can't say too much without a spoiler, but I was disappointed in the resolution.

The story gripped me in parts, but dragged a bit in others. Although I enjoyed the large cast of minor characters, I think a slightly tighter edit would have helped keep the tension that was built around Lee's relationships with her peers, and her conflict with her parents and the private school where she struggles to find her place.

CathrynGrant | Nov 20, 2014 |
Sittenfeld, Curtis
Prep: A Novel
2005. 448 pp. $12.99 pb. Random House. 081297235X. Grades 9 and up.

Tags: novel, fiction, coming of age, teenager, boarding school, high school, young adult, prep school, relationships, friendship, self-doubt, loneliness, insecurities, social status

This coming of age novel will resonate with any current or former teenager whose high school experience was filled with insecurities and self-consciousness. As a scholarship student from the Midwest, Lee attends a prestigious boarding school located in Boston. The book spans her four years at Ault Prep School, written from Lee’s now 24 year-old point of view. Lee’s initial experience at Ault shines a spotlight on her middle class family status, which often embarrasses and continually haunts her. Throughout her high school career, Lee experiences the ups and downs, crushes and heartaches of a typical teenager while set in the atypical backdrop of extreme wealth and social status. Lee’s loneliness and quest to belong is intensified by her self-doubt, yet she still remains an entertaining and likeable narrator. Readers will find Lee’s character both relatable and relevant. This book contains both mature themes and profanity, but would nonetheless make a good addition to a high school or young adult library collection. ( )
  ginawilliams | Oct 22, 2014 |
Interesting - the first half worked, but it seemed like the book dragged on for too long and perhaps got bogged down in needing to have a full four years of school. ( )
  ericasmithx | May 6, 2014 |
For my parents, Paul and Betsy Sittenfeld;
my sisters, Tiernan and Josephine;
and my brother, P.G.
I think that everything, or at least the part of everything that happened to me, started with the Roman architecture mix-up.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 081297235X, Paperback)

Curtis Sittenfeld's poignant and occassionally angst-ridden debut novel Prep is the story of Lee Fiora, a South Bend, Indiana, teenager who wins a scholarship to the prestigious Ault school, an East Coast institution where "money was everywhere on campus, but it was usually invisible." As we follow Lee through boarding school, we witness firsthand the triumphs and tragedies that shape our heroine's coming-of-age. Yet while Sittenfeld may be a skilled storyteller, her real gift lies in her ability to expertly give voice to what is often described as the most alienating period in a young person's life: high school.

True to its genre, Prep is filled with boarding school stereotypes--from the alienated gay student to the picture perfect blond girl; the achingly earnest first-year English teacher and the dreamy star basketball player who never mentions the fact that he's Jewish. Lee's status as an outsider is further affirmed after her parents drive 18 hours in their beat-up Datsun to attend Parent's Weekend, where most of the kids "got trashed and ended up skinny-dipping in the indoor pool" at their parents' fancy hotel. Yet even as the weekend deteriorates into disaster and ends with a heartbreaking slap across the face, Sittenfeld never blames or excuses anyone; rather, she simply incorporates the experience into Lee's sense of self. ("How was I supposed to understand, when I applied at the age of thirteen, that you have your whole life to leave your family?")

By the time Lee graduates from Ault, some readers may tire of her constant worrying and self-doubting obsessions. However, every time we feel close to giving up on her, Sittenfeld reels us back in and makes us root for Lee. In doing so, perhaps we are rooting for every high school student who's ever wanted nothing more than to belong. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:50 -0400)

In the late 1980s, for reasons even she has difficulty pinpointing, fourteen-year-old Lee Fiora leaves her middle-class, close-knit, ribald family in Indiana and enrolls at Ault, an elite co-ed boarding school in Massachusetts. Both intimidated and fascinated by her classmates, Lee becomes a shrewd observer of, and ultimately a participant in, their rituals and mores, although, as a scholarship student, she constantly feels like an outsider. By the time she's a senior, Lee has found her place at Ault. But when her behavior takes a self-destructive and highly public turn, her hard-won identity within the community is shattered. Lee's experiences, complicated relationships with teachers, intense and sometimes rancorous friendships with other girls, an all-consuming preoccupation with a classmate who is less than a boyfriend and more than a crush, are both a psychologically astute portrait of one girl's coming-of-age and an embodiment of the painful and thrilling adolescence universal to us all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible