Mosquito by Roma Tearne

Mosquito (2007)

by Roma Tearne

A beautiful book that explores with insight the impact of the senseless violence of civil war on communities, families and individuals through the medium of a love story. It is very well written, capturing the beauty of the land, of friendship and the art of the main characters whilst also communicating the sense of impending doom as tensions rise. Its weak point is the portrayal of the love story - the basis of the love between the two lovers is rather ephemeral and the idea that it will survive, more or less untouched by the long separation and the experiences of the two, seems somewhat sentimental. I was captivated by this book as I read it but my enjoyment on reflection after finishing it was somewhat weakened by this fairy tale ending. 22 June 2016. ( )
  alanca | Jun 24, 2016 |
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
Mosquito by Roma Tearne is written in lush descriptive words that paint a vivid picture of n exotic land caught up a violent civil war. Unfortunately the love story that was at the heart of the story lacked emotional depth and I found the book a rather tedious read.

The author, being from Sri Lanka captures the pain, suffering and brutality that this small country was enduring during the 1990's. Where I felt the book lacked believability was in her handling of the complicated relationship between the two main characters. A mature thirty-something year old writer falling in love with a seventeen year old schoolgirl needs delicate handling to evoke sympathy and allow the reader to feel the emotional innocence and poignancy that was needed. As the story dragged on I found myself much more interested in the events that were happening around the characters than in their personal story.

This is the author’s first book and although I found Mosquito to be rather flawed, her writing at times was both rich and expressive and I would certainly not hesitate to try another book by her. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Oct 10, 2013 |
...they are places that don't belong to geography but time.
Saul Steinberg, Reflections and Shadows
For Barrie, who understood, and for Oliver and Alistair and Mollie
The catamaran, its blue-patched sails no longer flapping, its nets full of glistening catch, came in after the night's fishing
He knew nothing about art but even he could see the astonishing things that were conjured up by her hands. They were the hands of a magician. Like shadow puppets they illuminated other dimensions of the world, probing the edges of things and those corners where drifts of light revealed all that had been concealed from him until now.
You may say this is a little ridiculous of me. To come all this way back home to pain with grey? But, grey has no agenda. And that's what really interests me. Its neutrality.
Bone-white and beautiful and all that remained of her home.
Only in Rohan's paintings, strange, elegiac and ghostly, could it be glimpsed. Threadbare like a carpet, all his memories showed in his pictures with a transparency that Giulia found at times unbearable.
Somehow it had never happened. The small difficulties, the shifts and changes in their relationships, all the minutiae of everyday, had made her reluctant to disturb the past.

After the death of his wife, novelist Theo Samarajeeva leaves London and returns to his native Sri Lanka where he finds himself in the middle of a civil war and unexpectantly finds a new love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,426,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible