My Sister Annie by Bill Dodds

My Sister Annie

by Bill Dodds

Having a sibling with a disability and realizing it is okay to be jealous and irritated sometimes must be liberating. I’m a legally blind ventilator-dependent quadriplegic. At different times I received the majority of the attention from family. This resulted in little flares of jealousy from the children. It is not uncommon for a child to have these feelings. The book portrays an honest glimpse into the mind of a child that has a few issues with a disabled sibling.

The book teaches a couple lessons. After doing a couple things that he does not agree with to fit into the Bombers, he decides on his own that the group is not for him. Never does it come right out and say it, but the message is relayed. If the “in-group” is doing things you know are wrong, then you should not be part of the group. Take a stand against peer pressure. The message that a disabled sibling should not embarrass the “normal” sibling is very subtle, too. I would have liked both messages to be spelled out more clearly, but in a way that is not too pushy.

I recommend this book. ( )
  jadaykennedy | Jul 16, 2010 |

Dealing with an older sister who has Down's syndrome is the toughest challenge that eleven-year-old Charlie has to face.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible