Lee: The Last Years by Charles Bracelen…

Lee: The Last Years (1981)

by Charles Bracelen Flood

209555,966 (4.35)13

This is the story of General Lee's last five years, when he shaped Washington College. The author makes you really want to like they guy.by presenting personal perspectives and stories about him. His strategic impact is clouded by the tactical stories of love and affection for the family, the college and others. For instance, he liked little children. Who could hate a guy who likes little children? But, he smothered his own children so that most of the seven did not get married and carry on their lives, except to serve him. The book also ignores his impact on the nation as a whole; yes it discussed Southern adoration and Lee's "influence" on the nation, but ignored the impact of his support of slavery and the southern way of living. I'd like to see an alternate history book written where Lee makes a different decision in 1861 and becomes a Union general??? ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 22, 2016 |
Excellent, well written and researched
  ohmichael | Mar 7, 2014 |
This book made me look forward to meeting REL one day and just chatting. A great man who made a horrible choice. ( )
  PhillipTHopersberger | Jun 18, 2013 |
I am not a Civil War historian. I read this prior to taking up history as a grad student and have not had time since to revisit it - so my remarks are by memory.
Flood presents a very likable, respectable Lee. One is drawn to him. We want to like him and cheer for his small victories after the war. But Flood presents a lop-sided, hagiographic view of his subject. Indeed, there was much to respect in Lee. It would have seemed the more so if Flood had addressed some of the very real issues that are inescapable in dealing with Lee, first and foremost, his role in perpetuating slavery. Also, I recall not liking the lack of documentation. It seemed there were no notes or sources at all (I could be wrong in this.) ( )
  AlexTheHunn | Aug 14, 2007 |
General Lee spent the last five years of his life shaping Washington College into a tremendous University. ( )
  jwalton | Mar 14, 2007 |

After his surrender at Appomattox, Robert E. Lee lived only another five years - the forgotten chapter of an extraordinary life. These were his finest hours, when he did more than any other American to heal the wounds between North and South. Flood draws on new research to create an intensely human and a "wonderful, tragic, and powerful . . . story for which we have been waiting over a century" (Theodore H. White).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible