Firebird by Susan Gates

Firebird

by Susan Gates

201515,329 (3)None

For the most part, I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't what I expected, though. I thought it was going to end up be some huge shocking secret but it really wasn't. The narration was also a bit inconsistant but not terribly soon. I like the characters, though. Firebird was strong be intelligent and Ford was also very believable. It was interesting to see how the twins reacted when they got old enough to realize they were being fooled by Carol-Ann and Trapper. It was a fun, easy, mysterious read and I really like it- it just didn't have the depth that I was assuming it would have based on the description. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0141319046, Paperback)

Set in a dystopian vision of the future, Firebird and her brother Ford live in a swamp on the edge of the city with their father and grandmother. They make a living by trapping eels - or so they believe until they discover that the eel smokery has been closed for a year, and that the family's money comes from the bags that Firebird makes from dried eel skins. Their shock at discovering that their whole lives have been based on lies - of which the most shocking is that their mother is still alive - coincides with a cataclysmic storm which destroys the swamp and kills their father. Slowly the family has to reassess their whole way of life and, indeed, who they actually are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

Two children find that their isolated existence in a swamp is threatened by outside circumstaces and family secrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,745,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible