Julia Child (Penguin Lives) by Laura Shapiro

Julia Child (Penguin Lives)

by Laura Shapiro

I really, really admire Julia Child more than ever and I want to learn more about her! ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
I enjoyed what I read of this book, but then I realized that it was essentially the same stories I read in My Life in France--which was a really wonderful book. And I read My Life in France too recently to feel like re-reading these stories, you know? ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
Delightful short biography of The French Chef. I had no idea Child was in the OSS, but she was- and she kept her signaling mirror in her kitchen drawer ever after, just in case. Lots of fascinating facts, warmly told. Too short by half. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

A biography of Julia Child from the award-winning author of Perfection Salad

One of the most beloved figures in 20th century American culture was Julia Child, the bouyant "French Chef" who taught millions of Americans to cook with confidence and eat with pleasure. With an irrepressible sense of humor and a passion for good food, Child ushered in the nation’s culinary renaissance and became its chief icon. Unlike the great cooking teachers who preceded her, she won her audience through the revolutionary medium of television. Millions watched as she spun threads of caramel, befriended a giant monkfish, wielded live lobsters, flipped omelets and unmolded spectacular desserts. Her occasional disasters, and brilliant recoveries, were legendary. Yet every step of the way she was teaching carefully crafted lessons about ingredients, culinary technique, and why good home cooking still matters.

Award-winning food writer Laura Shapiro describes Child’s unlikely career path, from California party girl to cool-headed chief clerk in a World War II spy station to bumbling amateur cook and finally to the classes at the Cordon Bleu in Paris that changed her life. Her marriage to Paul Child was at the center of all her work. Unlike much of what has been written about Child, Shapiro portrays a woman who was quintessentially American, and whose open-hearted approach to the kitchen was a lesson in how to live.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:15 -0400)

One of the most beloved figures in 20th century American culture was Julia Child, television's bouyant "French Chef." With an irrepressible sense of humor and a passion for good food, Child ushered in the nation's culinary renaissance and became its chief icon. Millions watched as she spun threads of caramel, wielded live lobsters, flipped omelets and unmolded spectacular desserts. Her occasional disasters, and brilliant recoveries, were legendary. Yet every step of the way she was teaching carefully crafted lessons about ingredients, culinary technique, and why good home cooking still matters. Her open-hearted approach to the kitchen was a lesson in how to live. Food writer Shapiro describes Child's unlikely career path, from California party girl to her marriage to Paul Child, to cool-headed chief clerk in a World War II spy station, to bumbling amateur cook, and finally to the classes at the Cordon Bleu in Paris that changed her life.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible