A Kiss for a Wart Hog by Wende Devlin

A Kiss for a Wart Hog

by Wende Devlin, Harry Devlin

205515,329 (4)None

A Kiss for a Warthog is a book about two rival towns who must learn to work together in order to please a warthog named Allegra. I personally did not like this book. I felt as if the ideas were very jumbled and that it would be difficult for a child to read and comprehend the main idea. While the story is silly and fun, it is not until the end where everything comes together. As an adult, I had a hard time fully understanding and I can only imagine how difficult it would be for a child. The book also contained a lot of big words that children may not be able to understand. "The zoo in Oldwick has birds as fine as the birds in the zoo at Quimby, and logical Oldwickians thought their alligator was every bit as fierce as the alligator at Quimby. However, the Quimby zoo had a warthog- a great, whiskery, warted, walloping African warthog." ( )
  CassieLThompson | Oct 5, 2016 |
"A Kiss For A Wart Hog" is a fiction book about how two towns forgive their differences do to an occurrence of love at first sight. I enjoyed this book because of the plot. It was very well organized and understandable. I feel that children would be able to follow the plot easily which is good for when they are trying to practice comprehension skills. I also enjoyed the language of this book. All of the sentences weren't over simplified, but they were concise and to the point. Overall this book's big idea is about how people should put their differences aside for the greater good, or in this case Wart Hog love. I thought this book was humorous and silly, I would recommend it to many young children.
  jessclark | Oct 2, 2016 |
This was a cute book. I liked the book because of the illustrations and the plot. The illustrations in the story were very colorful and helped depict the story very well. It showed the differences and struggles in the towns and how they ended up working together to find common ground. The plot in this story was well organized and kept me engaged throughout the whole story. The concept was silly but the book had a deeper meaning. The Warthog coming to this town from Africa brought the two towns together when the warthogs kissed. The towns were able to put their differences behind when they needed to help one another. The towns were able to combine their zoos so the warthogs could be together. The towns became friends and they realized that the rivalry they had between them was silly. The big idea of this story was that it benefits everyone when you put your differences behind and focus on the big picture. ( )
  tsmith44 | May 11, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book because it was a cute story with a deeper message than it gave off. The plot was a little confusing as the story was coming together but it developed into something great. The story is about two competitive towns that are constantly trying to be better than each other. One town gets a warthog, so then the other town feels as though they need a warthog as well so they send for one. When their warthog arrives, all she wants is a welcome kiss, so in order to satisfy the warthog, the town asks for the other town’s warthog. The two warthogs are brought together and cannot be separated, and as a result the two towns are brought together. The central message of this book is that intense competition does not lead to happiness but rather when you are joined together with an enemy good can come out of it. ( )
  bkling1 | May 10, 2014 |
A fantastic book about two opposing towns and the warthogs that bring them together. Great retro art and a very cute story make this an excellent tale. ( )
  GeniusBabies | Apr 17, 2008 |

Wende Devlinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Devlin, Harrymain authorall editionsconfirmed

If the warthog destined for the Oldwick zoo had not had a mind of her own, the rival towns of Oldwick and Quimby might never have become friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,553,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible