Pocahontas: Princess of the New World by…

Pocahontas: Princess of the New World

by Kathleen Krull

Other authors: David Diaz (Illustrator)

informational ( )
  tmr273 | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book revolves around a Native American Princess who seeks out the world at the age of 11 and learns about others and their ways of living. They made a Walt Disney Movie that is a really good movie for children to watch for "A famous Princess Unit" ( )
  lannersvalerie | Nov 6, 2014 |
I didn't really like this book. The reasons I did not like this book is because the plot wasn't very organized and the material in the story, I think, wasn't very age appropriate. Each page of the story contained a lot of detailed information but the information on each page made a jump from one page to the next. There was no organized flow within the story. For example one page talks about Pocahontas being a princess and then the next page jumps directly to the English men and what they hope to accomplish. There is no organized transition. I don't think that the book was very appropriate for 4th or 5th grade level readers because in one part of the book it talks about how the English men ate their shoes and after they ran out of shoes, they started to eat each other. I think that is not an appropriate topic that 9,10 or 11 year old students need to reading or learning about. The main message is making a difference. Pocahontas made a difference befriending colonists in her journey to the New World. Pocahontas is able to keep peace between the Powhatan and the colonists. ( )
  Shardy2 | Oct 2, 2014 |
This is a very informative book on the life of pocahontas. The author threw out the disney spin and told the story as it really was. She held my interest till the very end by keeping the pace fast and keeping the language simple.
I do however find the book a little harsh for the target audience. I do not agree with sugar coating the truth when it comes to adults, but with children some of the facts could be removed or said in a less blunt way.
I would use this book to get children interested in history, maybe as a way to open a discussion with the differences between hollywood and true history. Disney is a wonderful film maker but a horrible history teacher. ( )
  Dyne001 | Jul 18, 2014 |
Pocahontas: Princess of the New World is a biography that follows the life of Pocahontas from age eleven until her death at age twenty two.

I liked this book. It read less like a biography, and more like a fairytale, which made reading more entertaining. I also loved the vivid, whimsical illustrations.

1. Have students make a timeline of Pocahontas' life.
2. Visit a Native American museum to learn more about the historical Native American way of life.
3. Have students act out the story of Pocahontas in a short skit.
  JenniferSaville | Apr 21, 2014 |

Kathleen Krullprimary authorall editionscalculated
Diaz, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

She was the favored daughter of the Chief of the Powhatan Indians, and a girl in motion; always laughing, teasing, and dancing. But from the moment John Smith and the colonists of Jamestown set foot into her world in 1607, her life would change forever. She soon became an ambassador and peace keeper between the Powhatan and the colonists.  Because of her curiosity and courage, Pocahontas became the bridge between the two worlds.

Four hundred years after this world-changing clash of cultures, the true story about America's original "Founding Mother" is finally revealed.  Reunited for the first time since Wilma Unlimited, Kathleen Krull and David Diaz deliver a visually stunning, fascinating birth-to-death account of this true American Princess.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

An illustrated introduction to the life of the Indian princess Pocahontas and her contact with English settlers, especially John Smith.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,902,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible