The Doctor Who illustrated A-Z by Lesley…

The Doctor Who illustrated A-Z (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Lesley Standring (author and illustrator)

Series: Doctor Who

Member:JalenV
Title:The Doctor Who illustrated A-Z
Authors:Lesley Standring (author and illustrator)
Info:London : W.H. Allen, 1985. Edition: Hardcover, pictorial cover, 122 p. [only pages 7-121 are numbered], ill. (some color). Published by W. H. Allen & Co. PLC, 44 Hill Street, London W1X 8LB. Typesetting and origination by Avocet, Aylesbury, Bucks. Printed and bound in Great Britain by Anchor Brendon Ltd, Tiptree, Essex for the publishers. There are two copyrights given. The first, for the text and illustrations, is 1985 and held by Lesley Standing. The second, for the 'Doctor Who' series, is 1985 and held by the British Broadcasting Corporation. The back cover labels this book as a 'TV Tie-in'. The cover price is 8.95 pounds.
Rating:***
Tags:Doctor Who

The Doctor Who Illustrated A-Z by Lesley Standring (1985)

This dictionary goes up to the sixth doctor. The entries are short and include 'see' and 'see also' entries. The cover gives a good idea of the kind of illustrations to be found here. From the shading, I suspect that Mr. Standring made all of them in color, but most have been published in black and white. I wish that more of the entries had illustrations and that the illustrations were labeled. As it is, the illustrations are good reminders if the reader has seen the episode. There are a lot of episodes I haven't seen, though, so I'm having to guess which of the illustrations on a page go with which entry. For example, page 5 is the first page with entries on it. There are three illustrations to the right, in an overlapping column. The entries are 'Adrasta,' 'Adric', and 'Aggedor'. I guessed the top illustration is the Aggedor. The Tardis Wiki comfirmed my guess. I knew the bottom illustration was Adric because I've seen him before. The middle illustration shows a big bald head with one huge eye, a gathered neckline (?) falling in what may be a long robe with slits for two arms. Adric's head partially blocks the view of one of the arms. The other one ends in something like a lobster's claw. I thought this person or creature must be Adrasta, but her photo at the Tardis Wiki shows she's human. So who or what is that middle illustration?

Page 6 has the same problem: there are two men illustrated, one a full-figure shot, the other from the middle of the chest up. I have no idea who either man is, but I suppose they belong to some entry or entries on pages 6 and 7.

Still, collectors should enjoy it. If nothing else, the book may be used during a power or internet outage, or if a fan of the first six doctors is being dragged to an unelectrified cabin in the woods by his or her unsympathetic family. ( )
  JalenV | Dec 3, 2012 |
To my mum for typing out the manuscript
and surviving Longleat
ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN
See Yeti

Artist Lesley Standring brings together for the first time in pictorial form some of the most fearsome creatures the Doctor has ever encountered in all of his six lives.

In a series of beautifully executed illustrations, many in full colour, she takes us on a journey through time and space, reintroducing us to such memorable monsters as the Daleks and the Cybermen, and to old friends like Romana and Jamie.

Packed with little known facts and figures, The Doctor Who Illustrated A-Z forms the definitive illustrated handbook to all the Doctor’s travels.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible