dismiss

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin

A Clash of Kings (1998)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (2)

A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who hold sway over an age of enforced peace are dead, victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel ... and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.… (more)

English (462)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (482)
Another awesome book by RR Martin. Loved the way he writes giving importance to those characters which are going to stay alive most part of the series excluding catleyn stark and others like Tyrion Lannister Sansa stark, danereays targarian, Jon snow, Arya stark, Davos. Reading the book is like watching the series again. There are many differences in the book and the series first is in the series only Renly is killed by the shadow but in the book one more person dies through the shadow and another one is Arya stark serves Tywin Lannister in the series but in the book she serves Roose Bolton. Also a important character is introduced that is Ramsay Bolton. In this book Joffrey, Stannis, Renly, Balon and Robb declare themselves as King stating others as userpers. Overall would say it's a awesome Goodread... 😊 ( )
  ShriVenne | May 14, 2020 |
A remarkable achievement again. Generally, I think people would cite this as the weakest of the opening trilogy in "A Song of Ice and Fire", and this is true, but that's not a damning claim when you think about how good the first and third books are. "A Clash of Kings" is also very good, particularly coming off my second read. The first time around, I think I was overwhelmed by the depth of the world's politics, and the hundreds of characters, who often cross over between storylines.

"A Clash of Kings" has all the depth, colour and character treatment that made [b:A Game of Thrones|13496|A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)|George R.R. Martin|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1239039164s/13496.jpg|1466917] such a wonder, but in some ways I prefer it. The 11 characters who have points-of-view are - for the most part - scattered between 10 locations, making for a wide-ranging world. All of the characters are exquisitely rendered, the locations believable, and - most important - that beautiful grit that comes from a realistic treatment of what is effectively the Wars of the Roses. Characters live or die depending on plot, not on whether they're the "good" or "bad" ones. Beautiful characters are brutally deformed, as are the ugly ones. More than I remembered, most of the storylines move along quite quickly, while the few that don't - Bran and Arya, really - are still filled with great character development for their protagonists, and are some of the most vital chapters. The new points-of-view are marvellous, and the book is filled with stunning scenes.

I can only think of two possible issues, both of which I'd claim are redundant. It IS very hard to keep track of all the secondary and tertiary characters, for one, although close reading should eliminate most of this (besides, it allows for great fun on re-reading). Second, some characters do get all-but forgotten, appearing at rare intervals throughout. This becomes a challenge in the series' fourth book, but for now, there's so much going on, that it's always a nice surprise to return to someone you've left in the back of your mind. Besides, you can (and should) just race on to the third.

I've already started re-reading the third book, and hopefully it will provide just as many lovely surprises as this re-read did. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
I finally finished the second volume of A Game of Thrones!!! Everybody knows what these books are about at this point so I'm not going to waste any time summarizing them. What I will say is that I don't know of any author that has continually frustrated me more than George R.R. Martin. When I'm reading the books, I'm completely drawn into the world, feeling the characters' emotions and loving the world he's built and then he goes and kills a character I love. When I finished the book, I didn't know whether to throw it at Martin or rush out and buy the third book. Since Martin's world doesn't intersect with mine, I guess I'll have to settle for buying the third book. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
The second in the Song of Fire and Ice series does not let up the intensity of the first.

Following Roberts death, the legitimacy of Joffery's claim to the throne is questioned as the rumours spread as to his father actually was. Tyrion Lannister arrives at Kings landing having been appointed the Kings Hand by his father, much to the wroth of his sister, and he sets about developing his network of informers and strengthening the city and developing allegiances with other influential families.

In the South, Daenerys Targaryen is seeking allies to bolster her claim to the Iron throne. She has little success, as she refuses to pas ownership of one of her newborn dragons on to buy an army.

In the North, Jon of the black watch is seeking the wildings, a scattered people who are gathering under the leadership of the 'King-beyond-the-Wall' Mance Rayder, as they try to find them, they become the hunted.

The starks are scattered across the kingdom, Arry is a serving wench, Robb is the King of an army now and Bran and Rickon are on the run.

As the players in the game of thrones jostle for position, the stakes are raised higher and higher, until battle lines are drawn. And crossed.

Martin continues this tale with no let up in the scheming and intrigue, plotting and double crossing as before. The characters, scotched out in the first book, have some light and shade added to them now, and you start to feel who you can trust, and most importantly, who you can't. He has written a story of medieval land, with its hard and often brutal existence, but with that extra spark of magic and dragons.

Cannot wait for the next book. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
The second in the series was a little less enjoyable mostly because it revolved around war in the kingdoms. So there were even more characters (many of whom died quickly so I didn't have to remember who they were) and lots of war strategies and alliances that didn't keep my interest. I'm hoping the next one returns to the personalities and lives of the characters more than about impending war. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Roy Dotrice rises to the challenge, providing each character with his or her own unique voice.
added by readysetgo | editAudiofile (Jun 1, 2004)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Dette er den andre av to deler av boken "A Game of Thrones" i serien "A Song of Ice and Fire". De har utgaver med forskjellig tittel på omslaget og tittelsiden. (Henholdsvis { Bok I Del II} & {Bok 2})

Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis
(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page
Don't even try to keep track
They're going to die
(mazeway)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,531,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible