A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 1040 pages

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

English (446)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (466)
Wish I would not have waited so long to continue reading the series. So many characters I got confused. There is so much political machinations going on, that I have become bored with the brutal, crude, selfish and egotistical boy kings. Their emotions and impulses allow them to make mistakes that create some dangerous enemies that will come back to bite them. I am not sure if I like any of them and I’m not sure if they would survive anyway.

I checked this out from the library and I don’t know if I will continue the series or not.

See more at http://www.fundinmental.com ( )
  sherry69 | Aug 6, 2018 |
The second instalment in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, A Clash of Kings starts out where the prequel has left the readers. The battle for the seven kingdoms of Westeros is underway and there are currently four men proclaiming themselves king. First there is Joffrey, officially the son of the former king Robert Baratheon but actually the son of Queen Cersei and her brother Jaime Lannister. Then there are Renly Baratheon and Stannis Baratheon, both brothers of Robert. Finally there is Robb Stark, heir to Lord Eddard Stark who was killed at Joffrey's command, who proclaims himself king of the north. The novel is largely about how all those people plot and fight their battles for the throne. One should however not forget Daenerys Targaryen, who actually has a rightful claim to the throne that was stolen from her family when her father was murdered by Jaime Lannister before Robert Baratheon became king. In another strand of the plot Jon Snow, bastard son of Lord Eddard Stark, and the men of the Night's Watch, try to protect the whole realm from seemingly undead creatures that live north of the wall, the only protection between them and the realm of the seven kingdoms. As one can see there is a tangled web of characters which makes for a multi-faceted story.

As with the first instalment in the series I like the structure of the novel, that is that each chapter is told from the perspective of one of the characters. As a reader you get a more or less omniscient view on the story and this makes the otherwise probably slightly complicated plot more easy to follow. The character (and hence the chapters) I like most is Tyrion Lannister, the dwarf brother of Queen Cersei and Jaime the Kingslayer. Although he is part of a family that is highly unlikeable I find him easy to identify and sympathize with. Shunned by most members of his family, Tyrion slowly and cleverly makes his way to the top and is quite successful in making the best out of his life.

I would recommend reading the novel only if you have read and liked the first one in the series. Otherwise it would probably be too many pages of incomprehensible relationships and a story that is simply unfollowable. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Jul 23, 2018 |
GRRM is one hell of a good storyteller. I read the first ASOIAF book and loved it before the show began years ago, but never continued with the rest of the volumes. I've always thought the second season is the slowest-moving, but was necessary to approach it like that so that the rest of the series could move along briskly. I feel the same way about A Clash of Kings. The character development is first rate. I disagree with any reviewer who bitches that GRRM isn't a good writer. His style may not be that of James Joyce, but it's clear, crisp, natural, and contains some of the best dialog a reader can encounter (more impressive since it's written in Old World parlance while the author is American). I highly appreciate the way GRRM is able to take on drastically different viewpoints and view his world and events through the eyes of different characters. There's something of To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout in Arya, albeit grittier and more fantastic.

Despite the fact that I highly recommend it, I do feel that I need to mention my annoyance with GRRM's handling of medieval religion. I'm a religious guy myself (a liberal, Obama-type rather than a conservative fire-and-brimstone type), and I've become sensitive over the years to misrepresentations or sloppy and stereotyped presentation of religion and religious people. GRRM does a good job of presenting analogs of true medieval religious life to his world. The Faith of the Seven and the Great Sept capture Thomist theology and Vatican City, the religion surrounding the Lord of Light captures Christian witch-burning (while simultaneously reflecting the so-called witchcraft itself), the Night's Watch takes on the role that monasteries played in medieval Europe, and the divide between the Old Gods of the North and the New Gods of the South captures both the Presbyterian-Anglican divide on the isle of Britain and the Lutheran-Catholic divide on the continent. The North's rebellion has analogs in Reformation politics.

What GRRM doesn't do well is capture the character of the religious mindset of medieval times. Every single point-of view character expresses nothing but pure doubt when it comes to religion. Every single point-of view character seems to witness some awful tragedy, and then reflect by suggesting that no gods actually exist. This is at odds with the reality of medieval records, and I'm going to go on to say that it's at odds with the reality of humankind. People who more often face tragedy and atrocity (such as medieval Europeans) are more likely to believe in deities because it helps them digest the shit-smelling reality of the nasty world we live in. It's modern society, with its air-conditioning and 24-hour entertainment and 40-hour workweeks and cheap clothing and dishwashers and universal literacy and long-distance communication, that is more likely to turn from religion. Modern, spoiled mankind doesn't deal with tragedy in the quantities that it used to, and therefore doesn't do as well handling it as ancient or medieval mankind. Therefore, when GRRM goes off on his tangents having his characters denounce gods, he is placing a contemporary mindset on medieval peoples. There are other anachronisms as well (most children appear to survive childhood, people live into old age, venereal disease doesn't seem to exist), but these don't recklessly contribute to irresponsible public perceptions of a subgroup of society. I am in every way a religious individual, but I also have the right to demand that I not be categorized along with the Mike Pences and Jerry Falwells of the world. The only character whose religious dimension GRRM presents responsibly is Ned Stark, but that guy's dead in this volume.

Aside from this one concern, I highly recommend this book and this series. I'm looking forward to starting Book 3. ( )
  Sylvester_Olson | Jul 1, 2018 |
Things started to change a bit from the series, so it was better than the first, but still not there. ( )
  Rose98 | Jun 21, 2018 |
The second book is significantly more engaging than the first. While the first was primarily focused upon War of the Roses style political intrigue and the like, the second book delves into the actual battles and the motive behind much of what has been happening. In this book, we finally range beyond the Wall and into the Haunted Forest. We encounter wildlings, get Theon centric chapters, and learn just what Stannis has been up to all of this time. Further, we are introduced far more in depth to the lore of ASoIaF. We even, for a brief moment, spot the horror that is the Boltons. What is not to enjoy?

This book was a faster read than the first, and with the exception of the Battle of Blackwater Rush was pretty difficult not to enjoy. Blackwater Rush was a bit of a letdown for me - for while it's gorgeous on screen, the action in the book is split between Tyrion and Sansa centric chapters that mars the overall grandeur of the fight. On the bright side, the Dany chapters were far more compelling than her plot in the second season the show, and even involves a prophecy that has had fans scratching their heads for ages... and wasn't present in the show at all. Oops.

This book didn't blow me away, but the Theon chapters were fantastic and by far the best written out of everything [a: George R. R. Martin|346732|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1351944410p2/346732.jpg] has set down. I look forward to finishing the series soon and then being deeply disappointed as the wait for [b: The Winds of Winter|12111823|The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire, #6)|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1465341854s/12111823.jpg|6570035] continues to stretch on.

Oh well. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Roy Dotrice rises to the challenge, providing each character with his or her own unique voice.
added by readysetgo | editAudiofile (Jun 1, 2004)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Dette er den andre av to deler av boken "A Game of Thrones" i serien "A Song of Ice and Fire". De har utgaver med forskjellig tittel på omslaget og tittelsiden. (Henholdsvis { Bok I Del II} & {Bok 2})
Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis
(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page
Don't even try to keep track
They're going to die
(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,023,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible