A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by George R.R. Martin

22,20847298 (4.33)531
Member:and22polarbears
Title:A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 1040 pages

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

English (452)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (472)
Can't wait to start book #2!
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
Getting really into this series now! I started the third one right after finishing this one. I think this one is better than the first, as well. The only parts I didn't like were the Theon parts, because it was just too bleak and hard for me to handle. Dany's story got better than in the first book. The Stark (and Snow) children are the awesomest (especially Arya -- GO ARYA!). The battles continue to be the least interesting part. Davos was also kind of boring, but I suppose his POV was useful for some things. Ditto Catelyn. Cersei became more interesting. Tyrion was rad again. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
This book was a bit slow-going for me at first, so much so that I got about thirty percent into it and then set it aside for like a year. But then I picked it up again, thinking that I would only read a chapter or two, and ended up devouring the entire book within five days.

Reading these books are painful to me, because I've watched the TV series and I know that so many of my favorite characters who are still alive in this book are about to meet bloody ends. Robb is one of my favorite characters in the series, and I know that he has a date with destiny at the Red Wedding, which KILLS MY HEART.

I wish that I could write a more thorough review of the book, but I seem to be at a loss for words. To say that this series is addicting is putting it mildly. I'm already looking forward to starting the third book in the series tonight. ( )
  schatzi | Mar 29, 2019 |
This is book two in the Game of Thrones series. At this point, King Joffrey is the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms. Because he is still a boy, his mother remains Queen Regent. Joffrey remains cruel and is holding Sansa hostage at King's Landing. Now that Sansa's traitor father is dead, Joffrey and his mother refuse to let her go home. Sansa's sister, Arya is posing as an orphan boy and trying to get back to Winterfell. Sansa's brother, Robb - King of the North - is battling to rein the seven kingdoms. Danerys is trying to get to Kings Landing so she can become the rightful Queen of the seven kingdoms.

This book was as good as the first. RR. Martin is a very talented writer. There are 1000 characters, and you sometimes get a little lost on who belongs to you, but it doesn't distract from the story. Even though he writes about a fictional world, he doesn't make up words just to make them up. He makes those 1000 pages fly by.

I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next. If you haven't tried this series yet, I highly recommend it. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
The Lannisters may have won round one and with it the throne, but it looks like the latter is far from secure, as several new claimants to the honor appear, including Robb Stark and dead King Robert's brother, Stannis. The imp is preparing to defend King's Landing against an inevitable assault and the Starks regroup north of the Trident. Meanwhile, across the bay, the blood of the old Dragon Kings begins stirring ...

The second, equally brilliant volume deals with complications of a broken realm after the abrupt ending of the rule of King Robert. Another good thing about this series is that is relatively light on magic, avoiding the usual everything-is-possible plot holes in the process. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Roy Dotrice rises to the challenge, providing each character with his or her own unique voice.
added by readysetgo | editAudiofile (Jun 1, 2004)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Dette er den andre av to deler av boken "A Game of Thrones" i serien "A Song of Ice and Fire". De har utgaver med forskjellig tittel på omslaget og tittelsiden. (Henholdsvis { Bok I Del II} & {Bok 2})
Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis
(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page
Don't even try to keep track
They're going to die
(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,543,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible