A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

A Clash of Kings (original 1998; edition 2000)

by George R.R. Martin (Author)

Member:katiekrug
Title:A Clash of Kings
Authors:George R.R. Martin (Author)
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 1040 pages
Collections:Your library, Wayne
Tags:Fiction, fantasy, medieval

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

English (314)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (333)
I'm not nearly so thrilled with the second book of this series, especially now that I know it could be years before the whole story is finished. I'm starting to get tired of so many characters that I can't keep track of them, lengthy descriptions of lesser characters, not to mention endless and similar scenes of violence. I intend to read the third book, since I'm still interested in what happens to Danaerys and the Stark kids. But I'll be skimming a lot of it.
[a:Maggie Anton|79249|Maggie Anton|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1337899260p2/79249.jpg] ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
Here’s another five star of the year, even if it’s a reread. I needed to reread this series though before heading into the fifth book, because it’s been a long time since I went through this series. The story is so complicated and involved and LONG – it’s a lot to remember. Also since I have become an avid fan of the new HBO TV show based on the series I needed a refresher on what really happened in the books and what was just in the show. Surprisingly, or maybe not so surprising was the amount that the TV show changed. I think it goes back to the fact that this is a freaking involved story. I love watching characters grow, so this is right up my alley. At least those characters that don’t die that is. I love how realistic the story is – the gore and fifth and evilness alongside the glory and success. This is how I imagine the medieval era felt like – the rich play their games and the poor and innocent suffer for it, as one example. This IS fantastic story-telling with a lot to offer to the reader. It is also depressingly depressing, so beware that fact. It’s also a very long series with long books and long waits in between the books – another warning. There’s flaws, there always is, and different flaws for different readers. But the good rules out in my opinion. But if you are a fantasy fan and have not read this series it definitely deserves your attention. This will be a series that goes down in history, I can promise. ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 17, 2014 |
Although this series requires true dedication as a reader because of the length, I always feel better when I read it. I can never put them down. The characters are so well-written and thought out. They feel like real people with relatable problems and human flaws. Martin is one of my favorite authors. This book took me about a month and a half to read, but I loved every page. I love watching the transliteration with the television show and seeing how many little details they remember. There are additional scenes in the show, but both are excellent. I have the next two books in the series on my bookshelf, but I will read some nice short novels before I tackle the next monster. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Incredible build up of the story of the kingdoms and the detailed history of this world. It really is fantastic to follow the characters. They are believable. ( )
  midwestms | Jul 12, 2014 |
Another masterfully done book!

I'm hooked. I'll admit that I have never been interested in this genre of books but with such hype about the TV show I had to pick this series up and read at least some of it...WOW! While there is a lot of people to keep track of I find that the way the book is written it makes that quite easy. ( )
  gopfolk | Jul 11, 2014 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Candeias, JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
La cola del cometa rasgaba el amanecer; era una brecha roja que sangraba sobre los riscos de Rocadragón como una herida en el cielo rosa y púrpura.
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)

Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis

(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page

Don't even try to keep track

They're going to die

(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:33 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible