A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

A Clash of Kings (original 1998; edition 2000)

by George R.R. Martin (Author)

15,394None118 (4.36)443
Member:katiekrug
Title:A Clash of Kings
Authors:George R.R. Martin (Author)
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 1040 pages
Collections:Your library, Wayne
Tags:Fiction, fantasy, medieval

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

2011 (77) 2012 (47) A Song of Ice and Fire (727) adventure (71) dragons (201) ebook (119) epic (234) epic fantasy (261) fantasy (3,137) fiction (1,198) Game of Thrones (49) George R. R. Martin (96) high fantasy (111) intrigue (61) Kindle (114) magic (76) medieval (89) novel (124) own (90) paperback (64) politics (78) read (241) read in 2011 (60) read in 2012 (59) science fiction (73) series (291) sff (118) to-read (140) unread (53) war (142)

English (296)  Spanish (5)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (310)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire is so different from any other fantasy epic. Martin's writing is eloquent, his story is completely original and unpredictable, and the plot is dark and gritty (often gross). His characters are some of the best in fantasy literature because they are so complex. You often can’t decide whether a character is a “good guy” or a “bad guy,” which is very different from most other fantasy literature, but not so different from real life.

But I've got a problem with GRRM. I get upset when favorite characters — who I’ve come to love — have terrible, terrible things happen to them, or they ... DIE. Martin has no mercy and this is distressing. I mean, I really get upset. I like heroes, and there aren't any in ASOIAF. There's nobody to safely stand behind, knowing that whatever happens to them, they'll still be standing in the end.

Martin is taking his time finishing this saga. I chuckled when I read this statement on his website: “you guys read a lot faster than I can write.” I’ll try ASOIAF again when it's close to being finished. Now that I know not to get attached to anyone, it will probably go better for me.
Read more George R.R. Martin book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Fantastic novel, of George RR. Martin.
Fourth part of the saga "Game of thrones" which is also in a TV series right now. ( )
  marinavin | Mar 25, 2014 |
A Clash of Kings is infused with magic, dragons, dreams, sex and of course war, as the title implies, all of which was scarcely found in the first book, if in there at all. I really loved the tricks and twists of the different battles as well as the new characters, and the further character development of the Starks. As usual, Tyrion Lannister and Arya became the stories that most caught and held my interests, but Sansa has started gaining my attention more as well. I'm very much enthused to get a start of A Storm of Swords to see how A Clash of Kings cliffhangers pan out. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
I enjoyed the first a lot more, but this one still kept me on the edge of my seat, starting A Storm of Swords right away! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Candeias, JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
La cola del cometa rasgaba el amanecer; era una brecha roja que sangraba sobre los riscos de Rocadragón como una herida en el cielo rosa y púrpura.
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)

Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis

(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page

Don't even try to keep track

They're going to die

(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:33 -0400)

A medieval fantasy on the land of the Seven Kingdoms, chronicling the intrigues of its ruling families as they jockey for power. By the author of A Game of Thrones.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible