A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings (original 1996; edition 1999)

Member:1hundredprojects
Title:A Clash of Kings
Authors:
Info:Bantam Spectra (1999), Paperback
Collections:2012 Reading List
Rating:***

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1996)

English (418)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  French (2)  All (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (439)
Wauw. Wat een boek. Een aantal (hoofdrol) figuren blijken de dood te vinden in dit boek. Of... misschien toch niet. Wie weet. We lezen dat vast wel in boek #3.

"De winter komt" ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |
Slow starter (lots of recapping and scenes the series skips, interestingly). Compulsively readable. ( )
  beaujoe | Feb 24, 2017 |
Any fear that A CLASH OF KINGS would seem lesser next to GAME OF THRONES and the explosive series of events that was the first book's finale was quickly put to rest the further I read on. The first half read like a chess match between houses, in which we see the various pieces on the board being shifted about for the oncoming clash of armies - only in this chess game, there's more than two players and loyalties are not as they seem. The main focal point is still that of House Stark versus House Lannister but several other houses are quickly rising to the occasion, including House Greyjoy whose banner bears the image of a kraken (come on that's awesome!), and all the while on the other side of the world the khaleesi of House Targaryen is coming to claim the Iron Throne with her own growing army of men and beasts alike.

The second half of A CLASH OF KINGS is a whirwind tour de force of drama both on and off the battlefield - and don't think for a second any character is safe from the author's killing pen. As Martin has proved already in GAME OF THRONES as well as this book, he is perfectly content in killing his darlings to serve the story's end - or in some cases, horribly maim them to the point of no return. The fact that throughout these battles Martin is able to deftly juggle his trademark multiple-POV storytelling style without overly burdening one storyline over another means that the reader never feels like they are stuck on one subplot for too long or for too little before they are whisked off to yet another location for another - wait for it - clash of kings and soldiers.

Overall, A CLASH OF KINGS is the mark that this series is an absolute winner in the current field of fantasy stories being published. After marathoning through the first two books, however, I feel like I need a break before starting the third ASOIAF book; I love this series but I'd rather not have "winter" come too soon before I have nothing left to read. ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
I love the tv show and love to read, but I had put off reading these books because I thought they might be difficult to understand. For me, they flow easily, and I enjoy every word. I do think watching the show first helped because I know many of the characters and lands in my mind already.

Tyrion is one of my favorites on the show, but somehow I love him even more in the books. Also, somehow, I don’t hate Cersei as much So Far, but my hate for her is steadily growing. I feel more sympathy for Catelyn because the books really let the reader in her head. I didn’t realize how young many of the main characters were during these times either. Daenerys and Jon are barely teens and have both been living in separate wilds. They’ve witnessed dark magic. Arya is barely middle grade age and has killed men. Joffrey, Sansa, Bran, Robb, etc, they’re all children making decisions difficult for adults.

Obviously I loved this book and can’t wait to start the next one.
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Obviously I loved this book and can’t wait to start the next one.
1 vote ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Roy Dotrice rises to the challenge, providing each character with his or her own unique voice.
added by readysetgo | editAudiofile (Jun 1, 2004)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Dette er den andre av to deler av boken "A Game of Thrones" i serien "A Song of Ice and Fire". De har utgaver med forskjellig tittel på omslaget og tittelsiden. (Henholdsvis { Bok I Del II} & {Bok 2})
Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis
(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page
Don't even try to keep track
They're going to die
(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,370,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible