A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings (original 1998; edition 1999)

Member:1hundredprojects
Title:A Clash of Kings
Authors:
Info:Bantam Spectra (1999), Paperback
Collections:2012 Reading List
Rating:***

A Clash Of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

English (419)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  All (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (439)
I love the tv show and love to read, but I had put off reading these books because I thought they might be difficult to understand. For me, they flow easily, and I enjoy every word. I do think watching the show first helped because I know many of the characters and lands in my mind already.

Tyrion is one of my favorites on the show, but somehow I love him even more in the books. Also, somehow, I don’t hate Cersei as much So Far, but my hate for her is steadily growing. I feel more sympathy for Catelyn because the books really let the reader in her head. I didn’t realize how young many of the main characters were during these times either. Daenerys and Jon are barely teens and have both been living in separate wilds. They’ve witnessed dark magic. Arya is barely middle grade age and has killed men. Joffrey, Sansa, Bran, Robb, etc, they’re all children making decisions difficult for adults.

Obviously I loved this book and can’t wait to start the next one.
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Obviously I loved this book and can’t wait to start the next one.
1 vote ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I don't want to give away anything so I'll just say it's a great sequel, and that the author insists in making us suffer. 4 Stars! ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
It's Biblio-blasphemy to say so, but this volume adds depth to the HBO series produced from it; and seeing a slightly different version emerge from the page leads to lively discussions about edits and alterations with other fans. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
While I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the first book in the series, it’s still a very interesting and gripping story at times – even if I know the outcome of how things are to play out.

I did find myself to be bored with this book, while there are some interesting plot reveals and important plot devices, there’s also a lot of nothing, or parts I find to be boring. Perhaps because I’ve watched the show and have a vague idea about what’s happening in the story, it’s affecting how I read it, although book two is where there are some more noticeable differences in the story from the show, (which I don’t understand why they changed certain things, but I’ll leave that out). Mostly for this book, I felt it dragged in a lot of parts, and felt it was somewhat repetitive.

I still don’t like Bran and Daenerys, and I find they are two characters that are forced on us, I know Daenerys is one of the most important characters in the series – but I can’t stand her. She’s well written, but I find her whiny and repetitive, and while she grew more confident since when we first met her, I find her growth hasn’t changed much. She still has the heir she knows best because she thinks she’s the heir to the throne. I really like Arya and I want more of her, she’s such a fun character, her growth and development come naturally and I don’t feel she’s pushed onto us.
Overall, a good book but the first in the series was better, I am looking forward to the rest of the series, and seeing how it all turns out.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - A Clash of Kings ( )
  bookwormjules | Dec 28, 2016 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis

(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page

Don't even try to keep track

They're going to die

(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,826,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible