A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:Kelsey-C
Title:A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 1040 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Rating:*****

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

Recently added byJarratt, preplibrary

English (333)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (352)
This was a bit of a slog. I didn't care for it at all. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 18, 2014 |
Long read, but worth every fantastic page. Outstanding characters abound in this volume, but Martin's story of how Tyrion Lannister the dwarf is manipulating the realm to his advantage is by far the most riveting sub-plot going. I loved the first book (and the subsequent HBO mini-series), and this book picked up the plot of the first and threw it to much higher levels. I will probably wait to see season 2 on DVD before I read the next volume, but I am already anticipating great things for this series. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 15, 2014 |
This is the second book in the Game of Thrones series, and much like the first it was full of details and a richness in the writing. This book picks up just where the first one left off. The Seven Kingdoms is in a civil war with five declared Kings and one declared Queen. Jeoffery at Kings Landing, his bastard status hinted at, but unconfirmed. Robert's brothers Stannis and Renly both declaring they are the rightful heirs as Jeoffry is not. And Robb Stark is "King in the North" and wants to separate from the Seven Kingdoms. Meanwhile Theon Greyjoy has declared himself King on the Iron Island and has mounted an attack on the North.
The Night's Watch is mounting a reconnaissance mission to investigate the Wildlings. And Daenerys continues her plan to reconquer the Seven Kingdoms now that she is the Mother of Dragons.
I do like that the books give more depth to Ayra's story than the show did, since I really like her, I always felt the show really glossed over her parts. Bran I also find is a much deeper character than the show gave him credit for. The show focused too much on Robb, Sansa, and Daenerys, and ignored the other characters. Their stories were there but not as richly .
I'm glad that Sansa is finally getting some brains and not wearing the stupid rose colored glasses, she is still at fault for her father's death in my mind but at least she is not as naive.
In the introduction chapter I found it interesting that Shireen has a disease called grayscale that makes her scaly like a dragon, I hope that she becomes a bigger part of the story.
Speaking of minor characters, I hated Davos's chapters, they were just so dry and boring to me. I hope he died at the King's Landing battle so I don't have to read any more of him. Shae in the show is much better than in the book, in the book she comes across as a shallow stupid whore, whereas in the show she is cunning and a real asset to Tyrion, whereas in the books she seems more of a liability.
I still love Tyrion by the way, which is probably why I don't like Shae's character in the book as much, she harms him I think. He is crafty and sly, but he is smart and despite it all he is honorable, he protects Sansa and the city, and he gets no thanks only disrespect and is despised. But he is honest and the only one that I think actually cares about the people of seven kingdoms.
I think there is too much inbreeding in the Seven Kingdoms, all the men are stupid! Renly, Stannis, Theon, Robb, Jeoffrey. They have no concern for the people, only their stupid puffed up egos, and are too prideful to do anything or the greater good. In the end I hope either Daenerys or Tyrion sit on the throne, and actually care for the kingdom as a monarch is supposed to do.
What is up with the wolf dreams, and it seems everyone is having them? Bran had them in the show, but he was the only one, this is a fun new twist.
For more reviews please see my blog: http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Nov 1, 2014 |
In my judgment as a reader, A Clash Of Kings got its 5 stars barely, on a technicality. Its immediate predecessor is comfortably better. I thought Arya and Tyrion and Catelyn and even Sansa bore story lines that were more worthy than Jon Snow. Perhaps by saying this I'm exposing my disappointment of Snow not chasing after the Others in a more direct way.

Catelyn's electrifying little chat with Jaime was, I'm sure, thrice welcome, and a big surprise. Since pushing Bran, Jaime had barely gotten a mention. This, has been rectified. Perfect. What a villain. You can barely dislike him, vile as he is. A Clash Of Kings has deaths, and also..."deaths". Those of certain inhabitants of Winterfell contributed in no small way to the 5 star rating herein.

I thought Tyrion's character suffered from the author's indecision - or was that lack of inspiration - to use him more deliberately. I thought that the plot need not unravel too fast, that both the plot and Tyrion will not suffer overexposure, but maybe the author feels both things are together, impossible.

Finally I hail the ambition of George R.R. Martin for conceiving such an interesting story. Reading the rest of the three books may convince me otherwise but as things stand, I won't begrudge the author for dying leaving this series incomplete. Since he set the ball rolling, few arcs have been resolved. I await reading the next book with stamina, and diligence, and joy, of course. That's the whole point of it all. ( )
  Jiraiya | Oct 30, 2014 |
This was the second book of the series. With Ned dead his son Robb goes to war and his men crown him as king. Roberts brothers both claim the crown. Stands believing he is the rightful heir kills his brother. Stanislaw reveals the queens secret. Jamie is caught by Robb's men and held captive. Theo takes over Winterfell. No more spoilers. ( )
  bwhitner | Oct 29, 2014 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Candeias, JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)

Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis

(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page

Don't even try to keep track

They're going to die

(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:33 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

4 1919

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,430,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible