A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) (original 1996; edition 2000)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:Elektrelf
Title:A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 1040 pages

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1996)

English (422)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  French (2)  All (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (443)
I had to read this one twice. I got to Ygritte and stopped the first time, but the second time I pushed through. It was a little slack during some of Theon's chapters, and I find him to be quite the character. One should always choose family over honor/pride/arrogance. I think my favorite aspect of the world so far is the maesters. They always seem to surprise me with their chain, their wisdom, and their intricate pasts/involvement in the world. I still don't like Sansa very much. If she would just do as she was told, she would have hundreds of less problems. I also don't like the meddling Catelyn. It has been about a year from Robert's journey to Winterfell to ask Ned to be the Hand, and it's interesting how news spreads so quickly. I almost couldn't believe how quickly some of the information spread to Catelyn at Riverrun, but then again ravens are interesting birds. Overall, very good, would recommend. ( )
  kamikaze2011 | Jun 20, 2017 |
i wanted more of dany's chapters there were only like 4 of them
I HATE JOFFREY SO MUCH HE IS SO EVIL
i have started to like sansa
TYRION IS THE BEST I LOVE HIM SO MUCH
this series has taken over my life and i can do nothing about it ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Second book in Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. The story is told from many different characters' perspectives; the perspective changes each chapter making this both a good read that you don't want to put down and a good read that you can take chapter-by-chapter over a long period of time. There are so many characters it is difficult to keep them straight if you haven't read one perspective for a while, though. The story in and of itself is good, if complicated. There is war, death, magic, dragons, treachery, sex... you name it, this has it. Definitely a book for adults. ( )
1 vote J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
This was a fine book with the continuing saga of a hundred different characters in this fantasy land. A lot of terrible things happened. People got a little closer to their goals only to have more setbacks befall them.

I read this only because my Harry Potter meetup group was doing a book discussion about it; otherwise, I would have given up after book 1. I earread this on audio as well, and I'm still not really a fan of the reader; his pronunciation of names was vastly different from the tv show, so it made it difficult to follow the discussion we had at times.

I'm going to give up on this series until it's finished and someone can tell me who ends up on the throne. I don't like having to decide for myself who I want on the throne; I want an author who tells me who to root for. I want good and evil clearly defined for me. So I really don't enjoy these books at the moment. There are some characters I like (just a few, but they exist) and a LOT of characters I dislike, even if my friends say they "get better." I feel entirely indifferent about these books in the end, and I honestly think it's because the author doesn't tell me how I'm supposed to feel, just presents all the different sides. I just don't think it's worth it to read such long books I don't enjoy at all. So I'm officially giving up for now.

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge: A book that's more than 800 pages ( )
  katekintail | Jun 3, 2017 |
Wauw. Wat een boek. Een aantal (hoofdrol) figuren blijken de dood te vinden in dit boek. Of... misschien toch niet. Wie weet. We lezen dat vast wel in boek #3.

"De winter komt" ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Roy Dotrice rises to the challenge, providing each character with his or her own unique voice.
added by readysetgo | editAudiofile (Jun 1, 2004)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Dette er den andre av to deler av boken "A Game of Thrones" i serien "A Song of Ice and Fire". De har utgaver med forskjellig tittel på omslaget og tittelsiden. (Henholdsvis { Bok I Del II} & {Bok 2})
Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis
(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page
Don't even try to keep track
They're going to die
(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible