A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by George R.R. Martin

Title:A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 1040 pages

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

English (351)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (370)
The Good: The characters in this series continue to amaze me. They are so wonderful. Or horrible, depending. So many secrets, lies, hidden pasts waiting to be uncovered. I never know what was going to be revealed next. The political intrigue plays out in often scandalous fashion. The more I read these books, the more I see the series as primarily historical fiction with a hint of magic thrown in now and again rather than straight high fantasy and that really works for me. A little easier to put down than the last one, but still a very quick read considering the length of the book. Can't stop, have to keep going, have to know what happens next.

The Bad: Thing dragged a little more here than in the first book. There seemed to be a decent amount of unnecessary filler and not as much plot progression as I would have liked for a book of this size. ( )
  TequilaReader | Sep 16, 2015 |

This is where it starts to go wrong. The plot slows down and we're pouring in new characters. Some storylines are still interesting (Imp, Jon, Daenrys) but this second book is not up to the stanard set by the previous book. ( )
  StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
"This is a very difficult book to review. I feel like everyone already said all that can be said about this book. The only thing that remains for me to write about is my own particular experience of reading it.

Picking up where Game of Thrones left off, Clash of Kings jumps right into the action. Following the lead of A Game of Thrones, this book reads like it's a unified whole with its predecessor, separated only to feel less scary to the readers (and to prevent back injury, for those who read physical books, I suppose). This feeling of wholesomeness is actually what drove me to take up book three immediately after finishing this one. That, by itself, says tons about the quality of this series – more than two thousand pages and I was still desperately hungering for more. Anyway, I enjoyed this book more than the first one. Its breadth, as well as the new POVs, allowed for a much greater character development than A Game of Thrones. The result is that, at the end of A Clash of Kings, there were enough plots and subplots to full several books. Regardless, Martin is such an expert when it comes to writing that he managed to balance and interweave the story lines almost perfectly. All the subplots are sufficiently connected to the main plots; they all, together, make the fantastical world created by the author seem more alive - the suspense is tangible, but not overwhelming.

Regarding the characters, there were many minor characters being introduced which, actually, added little to the story. There were additions though, that contributed to make the A Clash of Kings a much more entertaining book:
Ygritte: it was really cool to see her influencing John in ways I wouldn't think possible, shaking his honorable character to the very core. It was also by the introduction of Ygritte that I got to see more of the wildlings and began to understand a bit of their culture. So, yeah, welcome, Ygritte!
Shae: her interactions with Tyrion were priceless - plus, despite being a common prostitute, she is very cunning; one of those girls who know what they want and work their asses off in order to get it (no pun intended).
Gendry: at first, I didn't really like him because I though he was going to be one more of those mean boys who were making Arya's life harder. Then, when he started interacting with her and I saw that he was actually I real nice guy, I gave him a little more credit. Now I really like Gendry and the ""chemistry"" between him and Arya; I just hope he doesn't die.
Brienne: another really interesting, albeit old-fashioned, character. I love her deep sense of honor and loyalty to those she loves, even though I think that honor will be her demise, at some point. But who cares?! The girl can fight better than anyone and that is an accomplishment!
Melisandre: she is the incarnation of mystery. Melisandre is one of those characters that leave you confused. She can be really scary, but also wise. Really gentle, but also self-driven and unyielding. I don't know what to expect of her only by the information given on this book. For now, though, she is a truly exciting character to read about.
Stannis: despite some people hating him because he plays dirty, I have to admit that, besides Daenerys, he is the one that I am really rooting for in the whole Iron Throne ""game"". He is a strong, experienced guy and I think he has what it takes to control the seven kingdoms.
Davos: one of the funniest new additions, in my opinions. His mental conflicts about what his king expects of him and his true beliefs are just priceless. He is like and Eddard Stark 2.0 - same honorable mentality and spirit, but Sir. Davos knows when to act behind the curtains.
Osha: at first I really hated her, especially because of the threats she made to Bran. Then, when I understood her despair, I couldn't judge her that harshly anymore. I came to really appreciate the scenes when she appears, for they are filled with fantastical folklore about Free Folk culture.
Jojen and Meera: the green brothers, as I call them, were really great additions to Bran's group. Jojen brings in even more subtle magic and mysticism to the story and Meera acts as his shield. Also, her interactions wit Osha were really funny.

Besides the new characters, though, some of the already known ones provided entertaining story arcs that dragged the narrative forwards at moments when the quagmire of detail threatened to spill over and ruin several chapters. I particularly enjoyed, for the same reasons I liked them in A Game of Thrones - in no particular order - the story lines relating to John, Arya, Daenerys, Bran and Tyrion. But they are not the only ones. I also enjoyed getting to see Sansa starting to be more aware of her surroundings, both physical and political; I was starting to get extremely pissed of about her being dumb, but now she seems to be growing up. A little. Her pseudo relationship with The Hound was also kind of weird to see, but in a good way. Ah! And Theon! I was almost forgetting how awesomely well developed his story was in A Clash of Kings; we get to see a lot more of the Iron Islands, as well as his own family and how they interact with each other. The events of the end of the book prove that Theon is an utter moron, but the journey to find that out was highly enjoyable.

Unlike some haters and detractors of this series, I don't mind following the intricacies of certain characters and then having to face their untimely demise. On the contrary, I appreciate it, for it turns the experience of reading this books much more real. Nothing is more natural than death, actually. Everything ends, eventually.

Overall, I loved almost everything about this book. The subtle injection of magical elements presented on A Game of Thrones is still very much there, even though things are steering faster now that dragons are around again. There was a lot of character development, including the ones I don't like, but life isn't perfect, is it? At the time I read this book I was still fairly newbie on the series, but it had really impressed me already. A Clash of Kings only contributed to the process of shaping up A Song of Ice and Fire to be my favorite fantasy story, if not my favorite story of all.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
People often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served up.
Power resides only where men believe it resides. [...] A shadow on the wall, yet shadows can kill. And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow.
The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow.
The night is dark and full of terrors.

The Last Passage
The stone is strong, Brand told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I'm not dead either.
" ( )
1 vote AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
A song of ice and fire
  IICANA | Aug 31, 2015 |
It took me ages to read this, I reckon that is because I had already seen season 2. ( )
  Gustavo_Penha | Aug 19, 2015 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)
Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Candeias, JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)

Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis

New guys ev'ry page

Don't even try to keep track

They're going to die

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

4 2047

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,850,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible