A Clash of Kings (HBO Tie-in Edition): A…

A Clash of Kings (HBO Tie-in Edition): A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two (original 1998; edition 2012)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:epixpivotmaster
Title:A Clash of Kings (HBO Tie-in Edition): A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 1040 pages

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

English (449)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (469)
Excellent book can't get enough of Westrus and all the characters. ( )
  Kelly.Dodd | Nov 21, 2018 |
Can't wait to start book #2!
  InnahLovesYou | Nov 16, 2018 |
A remarkable achievement again. Generally, I think people would cite this as the weakest of the opening trilogy in "A Song of Ice and Fire", and this is true, but that's not a damning claim when you think about how good the first and third books are. "A Clash of Kings" is also very good, particularly coming off my second read. The first time around, I think I was overwhelmed by the depth of the world's politics, and the hundreds of characters, who often cross over between storylines.

"A Clash of Kings" has all the depth, colour and character treatment that made [b:A Game of Thrones|13496|A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)|George R.R. Martin|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1239039164s/13496.jpg|1466917] such a wonder, but in some ways I prefer it. The 11 characters who have points-of-view are - for the most part - scattered between 10 locations, making for a wide-ranging world. All of the characters are exquisitely rendered, the locations believable, and - most important - that beautiful grit that comes from a realistic treatment of what is effectively the Wars of the Roses. Characters live or die depending on plot, not on whether they're the "good" or "bad" ones. Beautiful characters are brutally deformed, as are the ugly ones. More than I remembered, most of the storylines move along quite quickly, while the few that don't - Bran and Arya, really - are still filled with great character development for their protagonists, and are some of the most vital chapters. The new points-of-view are marvellous, and the book is filled with stunning scenes.

I can only think of two possible issues, both of which I'd claim are redundant. It IS very hard to keep track of all the secondary and tertiary characters, for one, although close reading should eliminate most of this (besides, it allows for great fun on re-reading). Second, some characters do get all-but forgotten, appearing at rare intervals throughout. This becomes a challenge in the series' fourth book, but for now, there's so much going on, that it's always a nice surprise to return to someone you've left in the back of your mind. Besides, you can (and should) just race on to the third.

I've already started re-reading the third book, and hopefully it will provide just as many lovely surprises as this re-read did. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Well I am reading the trilogy or the quadrology or whatever George RR Martin is doing now- These are fun- mix Redwall with Lord of the Rings and you pretty much nail it- but maybe not quite as detailed as either of those series. Nevertheless I am enjoying them immensely as escapist fiction. ( )
  Darragh4444 | Oct 22, 2018 |
The ending wasn't as strong as the first, but I still quite enjoyed the proceedings. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Roy Dotrice rises to the challenge, providing each character with his or her own unique voice.
added by readysetgo | editAudiofile (Jun 1, 2004)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Dette er den andre av to deler av boken "A Game of Thrones" i serien "A Song of Ice and Fire". De har utgaver med forskjellig tittel på omslaget og tittelsiden. (Henholdsvis { Bok I Del II} & {Bok 2})
Publisher description for A Clash of Kings;

Time is out of joint. The summer of peace and plenty, ten years long, is drawing to a close, and the harsh, chill winter approaches like an angry beast. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who held sway over an age of enforced peace are dead...victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns, as pretenders to the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms prepare to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war.

As a prophecy of doom cuts across the sky--a comet the color of blood and flame--six factions struggle for control of a divided land. Eddard's son Robb has declared himself King in the North. In the south, Joffrey, the heir apparent, rules in name only, victim of the scheming courtiers who teem over King's Landing. Robert's two brothers each seek their own dominion, while a disfavored house turns once more to conquest. And a continent away, an exiled queen, the Mother of Dragons, risks everything to lead her precious brood across a hard hot desert to win back the crown that is rightfully hers.

A Clash of Kings transports us into a magnificent, forgotten land of revelry and revenge, wizardry and warfare. It is a tale in which maidens cavort with madmen, brother plots against brother, and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside.

Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, the price of glory may be measured in blood. And the spoils of victory may just go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when rulers clash, all of the land feels the tremors.

Audacious, inventive, brilliantly imagined, A Clash of Kings is a novel of dazzling beauty and boundless enchantment--a tale of pure excitement you will never forget.
Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis
(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page
Don't even try to keep track
They're going to die
(mazeway)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579908, Mass Market Paperback)

How does he do it? George R.R. Martin's high fantasy weaves a spell sufficient to seduce even those who vowed never to start a doorstopper fantasy series again (the first book--A Game of Thrones--runs over 700 pages). A Clash of Kings is longer and even more grim, but Martin continues to provide compelling characters in a vividly real world.

The Seven Kingdoms have come apart. Joffrey, Queen Cersei's sadistic son, ascends the Iron Throne following the death of Robert Baratheon, the Usurper, who won it in battle. Queen Cersei's family, the Lannisters, fight to hold it for him. Both the dour Stannis and the charismatic Renly Baratheon, Robert's brothers, also seek the throne. Robb Stark, declared King in the North, battles to avenge his father's execution and retrieve his sister from Joffrey's court. Daenerys, the exiled last heir of the former ruling family, nurtures three dragons and seeks a way home. Meanwhile the Night's Watch, sworn to protect the realm from dangers north of the Wall, dwindle in numbers, even as barbarian forces gather and beings out of legend stalk the Haunted Forest.

Sound complicated? It is, but fine writing makes this a thoroughly satisfying stew of dark magic, complex political intrigue, and horrific bloodshed. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Five separate factions vie for control of the realm of the late Lord Eddard Stark, while an ancient form of magic, an everlasting winter, and an unearthly army threaten to return.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,800,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible