A Feast For Crows by George R. R. Martin

A Feast For Crows (2005)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (4)

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (370)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  French (2)  All (1)  Polish (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (392)
The 4th book in the Game of Thrones series takes us pretty much to where the TV series ended in the next to last season. There were some minor deviations from the book, and one major deviation (well maybe, this might still happen), but nothing that blatantly contradicts what happens in the tv show.

Anyway, the books are really bogging down now. I'll read the last published (as of March 2017) book in the series, just because I hate leaving things unfinished--I know that's a stupid reason, but when you've gone this far in a series...

All the faults of the prior books are present here too, and a reader can take only so many lists of family members and their nicknames and yet another description of a castle, another scene where people are maimed, etc., etc.. before one starts skipping paragraphs. And, really, if I read another sentence that starts something like: "In the game of thrones, you...." "if playing the game of thrones, ...." We get it already. In the first couple books, the author would throw in this trope once a book, now it's every few chapters. Ay, yai, yai! ( )
  Marse | Mar 23, 2017 |
Cersei and Brienne become narrators here.
  beaujoe | Mar 20, 2017 |
Rarely have I ever been as frustrated with a book as when I reached the end of A FEAST FOR CROWS - I didn't want it to end so soon! I can only imagine how that frustration would have grown had I read it when it was first published and had to wait years and years for the next book, but thankfully that won't happen! Probably my favorite book in the series so far due to Cersei Lannister's delicious antics in King's Landing as well as seeing more character development for everyone's favorite atypical boy from the Wall, Samwise. Plus, Brienne! (Also: Brienne! ;___; Maybe? Who the hell knows in this series...)

Thank goodness Martin promises a hell of a lot more Dany (and Tyrion!) in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS; they were sorely lacking in this one! ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
This is about the audio edition...

The same narrator did this book as did the first three books, however in this one he decides to pronounce names differently than he did in the other three. i.e. 'Kate-lynn' Stark instead of 'Cat-lynn' Stark. The one that really confused me for a bit was 'Peter' Bailish where in the first three books he called him either 'P'Tah' or 'P'tire'. There were sone others, too, but those stick out in my mind. He also changed up some of the voices, notably Aria and Bryenne. All I'm saying is that with the same narrator it should be consistent. In nearly 100 discs the narrator brought to life this world, then he changes the fundamentals in the middle. Not cool. It did hamper my enjoyment of the story because I had to keep reminding myself who was who.
  sailorfigment | Feb 12, 2017 |
I still really liked this book. I'm invested in the characters and want to read about them more and more. But, this book is nowhere near as great as the others. Especially the way the last one ended I expected to be blown away by this one. I will definitely continue reading the series though. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.
Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,257,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible