A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin

A Feast for Crows (2005)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (4)

13,290302166 (4)406
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (KingdomOfOdd)
    KingdomOfOdd: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (286)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (303)
I'm in love with the Song of Ice and Fire series. I (thankfully) didn't start reading the series until recently, so I didn't have to suffer the VERY long waits between books. If I had, I wouldn't have continued with the series. In contrast to some people believing this book receives the title of 'weakest' book in the series due to the long wait: I agree that this book has been the most disappointing so far. I actually took a few months off from reading it, in order to 'forget' all the questions I was dying for answers for, and all the characters I was hoping to hear from. We read series because we fall in love with the characters and their lives. To have whole books that don't include the characters we've fallen in love with?? THAT was a poor decision on Martin's part. ( )
  cabracrazy18 | Nov 26, 2014 |
A Feast for Crows is the fourth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. And you absolutely must have read the first three before starting it. So if you haven't read the first volume, head over to A Game of Thrones.

While writing the fourth book, George R.R. Martin realized that it was much too long. What to do? He split up the story based on the regions of characters. Thus, A Feast for Crows carries over the stories of only four POV characters from the last book: Sansa (now sometimes referred to as Alayne), Arya (now sometimes referred to as Cat), Jamie, and Samwell.

The rest of the space is taken up by two new major POV characters and an assortment of minor ones. I felt that the minor POV chapters weakened the book. While they did show what was happening in Dorne and on the Iron Islands, they took away from the flow of the story and never were able to develop their narrators to the level of the repeating POV characters. Generally, whenever there’s a large number of POV characters in different parts of the world with their own plots, the book will have trouble pulling together. Feast of Crows suffered from that. Characters would be left hanging for hundreds of pages only to ultimately end on a cliffhanger.

The major new POV characters are Brienne and Cersi. I’m glad Brienne got her own sections as I really like her, but I did find some of her chapters rather boring. She’s got an aim in mind, but for most of the book she seems to be just wandering around Westros.

Cersi, I did not like. She might have provided a viewpoint at King’s Landing, but I hated reading her chapters.

My previous reviews brought up some aspects I found problematic with the series. Well, this book gives us a second non-lesbians having lesbian sex scene. You’d think that a prerequisite of a lesbian sex scene would be, you know, lesbians, but apparently not. And neither of the POV characters involved in the scenes were bi either. It’s sort of creepy when there’s an apparent pattern of straight women having lesbian sex…

What with the missing POV characters, the draggy pace, and the cliffhanger endings, I’d say this is my least favorite in the series so far. Hopefully the next will be better.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Nov 12, 2014 |
There has been a lot of controversy surrounding this book, with many calling this the weakest of the five published thus far. I disagree with that assessment, but can understand it. It's the publication dates that matter and mold a lot of opinions.

Book Three: A Storm of Swords was published in 2000, and left the readers in quite a pivotal point in the story. So five years later, here comes the next book in the series, A Feast for Crows. Fans flocked (pun sort of intended) to stores and online, feverishly read the book, only to be shocked that there wasn't a bit of story about some of their favorite characters whose lives hung in the balance from A Storm of Swords. Imagine the indignation, the frustration. Five years, and not a word.

*****This paragraph contains minor spoilers:
But to those fans in an uproar, Martin threw them a bone… at the end of Book Four, he semi-promised them the rest of the story within a year, give or take. He also explained why the story was published this way. Basically, there was so much story to tell he split it in two and instead of telling half the story of each of the characters, he choose to tell the entire story for half the characters and would follow up with the entire story for the other half. Many fans thought he picked the "weaker" story lines for Book Four as a way of guaranteeing the sales of Book Five, which may be true, but I disagree that the storylines were weaker. I feel that Arya, Brie, Jaime, and Cersei are just as strong and just as compelling stories as the others characters.
*****Spoilers end here

No big deal, though, the fans had waited five years, they got a bit of the story to whet their appetites, and although they were not happy about it, they could wait another year with a minimum of grumbling.

So…. the first year passed, the second year passed, jokes began to emerge – the most memorable of which was: "Is Winter Coming?"
Third year, fourth, etc.

YEAR SIX!
A Dance with Dragons (2011) was released. So not only did fans have to wait six years for the story to continue, they had waited a grand total of eleven years to find out the fates of characters they hadn't read since 2000.

So it's easy to see why Feast of Crows is considered the weakest of the books to date, but in a general overall view, and when read back to back, it neatly fits into the plot gears and does much to propel the plot forward. ( )
  Michael_P | Oct 7, 2014 |
This is a tough one for me. While the first three books sucked me in despite my uneasiness reading about extreme violence, rape, etc., this fourth book was exactly as many others described it: too much. It felt like it went on far to long, and could have used some serious editing and better thought about what was integral to the story. So many chapters were dedicated to Cersei's character, yet they all felt like they were just rehashing her character. There was no need to dedicate so much time to reinforce a despicable character who we already understand well from prior books. Unfortunately, I'm unsure if I even want to move on to book number five after this one. Some day I may come back to it, but I definitely need a break. ( )
  brianinseattle | Oct 1, 2014 |
Still interesting...
Still loving this series and do not know where it is going! I have been drawn in and so far have been able to root for the right deaths to come...just never see them coming in the way that they do. I was told early not to have a favorite character and it is truly hard to do that because well $h1t happens and boy does it in this series!
I need to get the next book!!! ( )
  gopfolk | Sep 30, 2014 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,045,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible