A Feast For Crows by George R. R. Martin

A Feast For Crows (2005)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (4)

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (330)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (351)
Interesting and fun, like all the books from this saga, although I missed most of my favorite characters. ^^ ( )
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is probably the worst book in the series up to this point. The pace is overwhelmingly slow, in a good 80% of the book. It's so highly political, with very little magic, if any at all, that it's an exceptional bore. The very first part of the book starts strong introducing you to the Drowned Prophet, the Four Shields and the Greyjoys. Then it gets slow, only to peak with the Greyjoys in the middle of the book, then slows down to cold molasses on a winter day with Cersei and Sansa/Alayne. It ends strong, for sure. The last 8 chapters really bring a lot of the story to good points, but overall, this book is a struggle to get through.

Even worse, knowing that now I get to read "A Dance with Dragons", and start off with book 5 where book 3 left off, means I'm not looking forward to this next book. GRRM really is not a good author. This series is a serious struggle to get through. There are several problems with this story:

* It's not clean, morally or ethically. There is a lot of rape, child sex, and incest. I don't care if "that is what it was like back then". I don't want to read about it.
* Martin throws around characters like they're going out of style. Every chapter, it seems, some character or family name is mentioned. It's hard to stay on top of.
* The momentum is amazingly slow for very long stretches of time, to the point of boredom. Then, jarringly enough, it picks up quickly, only to slow down fantastically slowly again.
* It's very stereotypical fantasy. There really isn't anything unique magic-wise.
* Characters can go several chapters before being discussed again, while other characters are discussed frequently.
* The prologue is never flushed out in the story, which is just strange to me.

And now with this book:

* I am looking for a maid of three-and-ten with blue eyes and auburn hair. Ugh.

Even though those are my negative reviews of the book, there are some saving graces:

* Imagery is fantastic. There is no doubt in my mind as to what people or things look like.
* It's a political story firstly, magic second. However, the magic isn't neglected, and it's slowly introduced through the story, enough to keep you reading.
* There really isn't any "good vs evil" story. Everyone has their own agenda, good or ill. So in that case, it's very much NOT a stereotypical fantasy.

The only reason I'm reading the series, is because the HBO series seems to be doing so well. Even though I haven't seen any of the episodes, I'm interested in what HBO sees in the story. After reading the series in full, I'll checkout HBO's interpretation. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
Not Martin's best, but still better than most. I understand why he chose to focus only on half the characters, but a Song of Ice and Fire book without Tyrion just doesn't feel right. I'm hoping the story as a whole will sit better for me once I finish the next one. ( )
  cvalin | Jan 24, 2016 |
I'm grading this based on the quality of the other "Song of Ice and Fire" books, meaning I'd normally give a book like this four stars, based on its complexity and realistic characters. But Martin has already demonstrated he can do that well with his other books, so I'm left grading this on the plot. And the plot felt a little too "reality TV," in a weird way: it was only enjoyable if you like watching someone vain and greedy and not terribly bright stumble around until all their mistakes come back to bite them on the ass. And then you can roll delightfully in your schadenfreude.

There are more compelling stories going on with the other characters--one character that I solidly hated in "Game of Thrones" has slowly been redeemed, and I'm in awe of how Martin managed that. But the above story is dominant, and I did not enjoy being inside this unlikable character's head for so long.

Still, the book is far better than most books out there, and I'd still recommend it. Just not my favorite in the series. ( )
  Malora | Jan 18, 2016 |
Great addition to the series, however, I was disappointed that many of the principal characters from the first three books were not included in this one (or only briefly mentioned). I'm eagerly awaiting book five and can't wait to find out what happens next. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,123,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible