A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by George R. R. Martin

14,208338143 (3.99)428
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Spectra (2005), Hardcover
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (319)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (338)
The Good: I think this is where the TV show veers sharply away from the books. This book has a ridiculous amount of surprises, even for the avid show fan. You go in expecting one thing, or if you watch the you are expecting something different, what you get is something completely off the wall unexpected - and that's sort of amazing. Huge, HUGE, shocking revelations in this book just blew my mind. Sansa and Jaime really shine here, their stories fleshing out and growing their characters. The book slowed down a lot on the action and replaced it with political intrigue and setup for future events. The pace was slow but completely engaging.

The Bad: I hadn't noticed while reading, which probably says something, but this book only covers half of the characters. The last section of the book mentions that this installation in the series focuses on those close to King's Landing and that the next book will focus on those farther away like Stannis, Daenerys, Jon and Tyrion. So, while very long, the book only covers half of the current story. The next book is supposed to cover the same exact time period, which really should have been covered here. I would have rather had half the time covered, but all the characters - all the story lines playing out at once. ( )
  TequilaReader | Sep 24, 2015 |
To be honest, I was let down by this book. The first 3 were strong, well written, and somewhat concise. In these latest two books, Martin seems to get lost in his characters. Which is great when it's great, but most of the time, it's slow and doesn't appear to have value. ( )
  Adam_N_Rabenstein | Sep 16, 2015 |
This book is not very well written.

It is very much in Wheel of Time territory. Characters turn up, spend some time getting up to speed and we are then quickly sent to a new character for the same set-up.

I loved the first book in the series when I first read it, but by book four all the initial magic is gone. There's endless repetition, characters that that change personality, far too many characters that we don't need to read about and far too much description of detail we don't need to know about. In fact, one of the better characters in the series is Westeros itself, since it has been painstakingly described. Martin must have name-dropped every single knight and described their coat of arms by now.

StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
We continue the tale of seven kingdoms in A Feast for Crows.
In 2005, Martin announced that the "sheer size" of his still-unfinished manuscript for A Feast for Crows had led him and his publishers to split the story into two books. Rather than divide the text in half chronologically, he opted to instead split the books by character and location, resulting in "two novels taking place simultaneously" with different casts of characters. A Feast for Crows was published months later, and the concurrent novel A Dance with Dragons was released in 2011.
In A feast of Crows we find ourselves following the stories of many minor character's whom we haven't had their point of view much before now: Cersei Lannister; Ser Jaime Lannister; Brienne, Maid of Tarth; Sansa Stark; Arya Stark; Samwell Tarly; Aeron "Damphair" Greyjoy; Princess Asha Greyjoy; Victarion Greyjoy; Areo Hotah, Captain of the Guards of Dorne; Ser Arys Oakheart of the Kingsguard; and Arianne Martell of Dorne.
Tommen is now the King of King's Landing, with Cersei as his regent, and Margaery Tyrell as his wife. Brienne, the Maid of Tarth, is on a mission to find Sansa Stark, aided by Jaime Lannister. Sansa Stark is hiding in the Vale, protected by Petyr Baelish as his daughter Alayne. Petyr has murdered his wife Lysa Arryn and named himself Protector of the Vale and guardian of eight-year-old Lord Robert Arryn. On the Iron Islands, Aeron Damphair calls a Kingsmoot to identify a successor as king of the Iron Islands. In Dorne, Doran Martell is confronted by three of his brother Oberyn's daughters, who want vengeance for their father's death. Because they are inciting the commonfolk, Doran has them imprisoned in the palace. Doran's daughter Arianne Martell plots to crown Doran's ward Myrcella Baratheon as queen of Westeros under Dornish law. Upon arriving in Braavos, Arya Stark finds her way to the House of Black and White, a temple associated with the assassins known as the Faceless Men and becomes a novice. Jon Snow, now Commander on the Wall, has ordered Samwell Tarly to sail to the Citadel in Oldtown to research the Others and become a Maester.
The writing is still great and the movement is fine, but I think splitting the story the way he did and focusing only on these minor characters (beside the Stark girls) was a bad idea. These were not characters I was engaged with or really cared about, the characters I wanted to hear about, Tyrion, John, and Bran, Rickon, and of course the Girls, and Dany were not there. It felt like filler chapters and I just couldn't get through them quick enough. I was bored and I admit a bit pissed that no one I cared about was talked about, I just have to say he better make it up in the next book.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 5, 2015 |
"I feel really bad about giving Martin anything less than four stars, but I'm only being honest. I actually didn't hate this book or anything. There's a lot that I loved about it. For instance, the further development of the characters. Martin has always done this exceptionally well. Regarding guys such as Cersei, Jaime and Brienne, I got a greater understanding about the events which helped mold them into who they are. While I'll probably never like the Queen Regent, I undoubtedly understand why she's so vile and, to a limited extent, misunderstood. Her chapters, which I would find boring on the previous books, were some of my favorites on this one. The chapters set in Dorne and the Iron Islands were amazing. They fascinated me, really. Sadly, they are few and far between.

Despite embracing the changes presented therein, I greatly missed my most beloved characters: Tyrion, Dany, Bran, Jon Snow. At least I got a lot of Arya. Speaking of, her story developed in such a way, so fast, that sometimes I felt shocked. I always imagined she would become some kind of warrior, but my wilder guess would not have scratched the path to which the author led her.

My only complaint about this book, which makes for the 2 stars discount, is the lack of details regarding what was going on in the war. I was constantly told about the general picture, but there were no POVs near the events, which was kind of frustrating. When you're anticipating an epic battle and then the only thing you are shown are distant dialogues about it, things get a little disappointing.

Anyway, my intent here was never to criticize the novel in any way. On the contrary, I think it was pretty good, considering my favorite characters weren't there. I'm sure a lot of people liked it even more than the previous books.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
My old grandmother always used to say, Summer friends will melt away like summer snows, but winter friends are friends forever.

The Last Passage
Sam stared at the strange pale flame for a moment, then blinked and looked away. Outside the window it was growing dark.
“There’s an empty sleeping cell under mine in the west tower, with steps that lead right up to Walgrave’s chambers,” said the pasty-faced youth. “If you don’t mind the ravens quorking, there’s a good view of the Honeywine. Will that serve?”
“I suppose.” He had to sleep somewhere.
“I will bring you some woolen coverlets. Stone walls turn cold at night, even here.”
“My thanks.” There was something about the pale, soft youth that he misliked, but he did not want to seem discourteous, so he added, “My name’s not Slayer, truly. I’m Sam. Samwell Tarly.”
“I’m Pate,” the other said, “like the pig boy.”
" ( )
1 vote AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,805,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible