A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:origen
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Spectra (2005), Hardcover
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (KingdomOfOdd)
    KingdomOfOdd: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (278)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (295)
After everything that happened in A Clash of Kings, I kinda lowered my expectations for every book that comes after it, because I know that it will be very, VERY hard for any book of the A Song of Ice and Fire series to be as good as the third one. I think I did the right thing, because I honestly wasn't expecting too much from A Feast for Crows and, indeed, the book didn't surprise me, but I still had fun with it. I did cringe at some of Brienne's chapters though. Not that I don't like her. On the contrary, she is my second favorite character. I just thought that, at a certain point of the story, the sexism became so infatuated that it got tiring. I know that the universe of A Song of Ice and Fire is based on sexist medieval history and that, at least in my understanding, this book also kinda serves as a critique to the exaggerated misogyny throughout times (or not), but at a certain point of Brienne's arc I was almost screaming "OKAY OKAY I GET IT, ALL THESE CHARACTERS ARE SEXIST PIGS, LEAVE ME ALONE".
Other than this, it was very nice to see the story through Cersei's point of view, and also Brienne's. I still think that the Pyke arc could have had separated, named characters, just like the Martell family, but the way that these new characters were introduced (or re-introduced) to the story was very creative and interesting. Can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
BLOG POST: http://chaibooks.blogspot.ca/2014/08/review-feast-for-crows.html

Game of Throne's spoilers are almost a given now with our social media. I hate spoilers, so I avoid searching up anything to do with Game of Thrones online. Even browsing Maisie Williams (the lady who plays Arya) on Twitter can result in some major spoilers. Speaking of spoilers, there will be quite a few in the text that follows. Beware! Spoilers are coming!

(Disclaimer: This is a rant/review, without too much structure. It's more of my thoughts all bundled up in the form of a review.)

So, I went straight from Storm of Swords to Feast For Crows and can you imagine my surprise? There were some changes; In font, in layout, in typeface, ugh, oh, change. So basically, George R.R. Martin decided that instead of splitting the story in half, and leaving the story unfinished, he would finish the story of half the characters. It was quite the change. I dealt with it, though. And it was worth it! The book was magnificent. In Feast for Crows we focused more on Kings Landing. We focused on Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, Samwell, Sansa, the ladies of Dorne, and, although there was a frustrating lack of her, Arya. Now, Feast here, is known as the worst book in the series. I don't think it's the greatest, no, but I really loved it.

As always, the plot was complex and intricate, the characters were scheming and many-layered, and the setting was rich and immersive. I picked up traces of pro-Feminism as well which is really awesome in an epic fantasy. I'm making a seperate blog post on that, which I will link as soon as it's up.
I personally loved reading from the POV of Arya and Sansa. I know a lot of people will disagree, but Sansa is one of my favorites. I probably relate to her the most, while many people hate her. In Feast, both sisters undergo lots of changes, one of them being that both sisters change their names! Sansa to Alaynne, Petyr Baelish's natural daughter, and Arya to Cat, a street urchin running around Braavos.
Littlefinger was icky as always, and the amount of times he kisses his "natural daughter" in the mouth is pretty gross. Icky. But, I'll give the man props. He deals with the sickly and whiny Robin and get's Sansa a pretty sweet gig.
I LOVED BEING IN BRAAVOS FINALLY. I want to explore the Free Cities more. I loved Arya's chapters the best. Her remincising about Winterfell, and her fallen household is one of my favorite passages from all the books.

"Winterfell... I smell snow & smoke & pine needles. I smell the stables. I smell Hodor laughing, & Jon & Robb battling in the yard, & Sansa singing about some stupid lady fair. I smell the crypts where the stone kings sit, I smell hot bread baking, I smell the godswood. I smell my wolf, I smell her fur, almost as if she were still beside me."

And especially Arya's bit about Needle:

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes

Jon Snow is my favorite character, and the big brother/little sister thing they had going on was one of my favorite parts. Although that happy family part of the story was short, it was sweet. I obviously wished Jon was in Feast more, but we got Sam giving us some updates, and Sam is an absolute sweetheart, so I guess it's okay.

I hated and loved reading from Cersei. She is literally crazy. She believes she's so smart, and cunning, and I guess she is, but she truly is crazy. Although I hate her character, I was a little sad to see her fall (not death, but I mean, they caught her at her scheming game, so she's pretty much over). Hearing more about her chilling prophecy, childhood, and early marriage life was really great. I felt like I understood this sad little Queen Regent's life better. Her character is so fascinating to study. From her gruesome nightmares, to her outlandish schemes.

I loved Brienne and her travels with Pod and the rest of them. She's one awesome lady. I definietly felt for her. From the "contest", to her failing Catelyn and Renly, to her own ways of coping with her uncomely stature, I felt for this lady. Her story makes me so sad. The fact that people treat her so terribly. But it also makes me feel empowered. She's so strong and awesome and I love her.

Jaimie's chapter's were a little more dull, but Jaimie's voice is one of my favorite ones. I mean, he's the Kingslayer, he's supposed to be all tough and strong. But reduced to being a cripple, he's lost a ton of respect. I love Jaimie because he doesn't want to be King! He doesn't want power, or money! He just wants to be able to kill stuff with his sword, and to love the woman he loves (which is Brienne. Not Cersei. BRIENNE!).

Overall, this was a giant rant/review, but I love this series so much. It keeps me up at night, wondering what's happening in Westeroes. The sheer quality of the storytelling that comes from Martin is amazing. ( )
1 vote Naomi_ChaiBooks | Aug 20, 2014 |
In a word - Fantastic! - with some reservations. If you've read the previous 3 books, this is a must-read. If you haven't, don't start here. Go get [b:A Game of Thrones|13496|A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)|George R.R. Martin|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZIXVGSnlL._SL75_.jpg|1466917] & prepare for one of the most incredible journeys you've ever taken. This is truly an awe inspiring series.

The way Martin put me inside the heads of so many disparate characters & then wove their actions through this complex world is incredible. Even when I don't like or even hated a character or they do something incredibly short sighted & stupid, I can understand their logic & reasoning. The spoiled Lancaster twins are a perfect example of this. They're reprehensible caricatures in the first book, but have gained a lot of depth. I hated Jaime in the first book & have slowly come to respect him. I'll never like him, but he's quite a heroic figure with a fatal flaw & an excellent reason for being the way he is. Cercei's vanity, greed, & pettiness is amazing. Her sheer ego is overwhelming at times. It was obviously leading to her downfall & I read each of her chapters with the horror & fascination of watching a slow motion train wreck. Without knowing her thought processes, she would have been too self-centered & stupid to be believable. One of my friends still thinks she was. I've read enough history to believe it, but fiction often has to be more realistic than fact.

In a world supposedly ruled by men, Martin has created many strong, believable women. One of the best drawn, although my least favorite character to follow, is Brienne, the Maid of Tarth. Her wanderings add a lot of depth to the world, giving us a better view of the countryside, but they don't really move the story along. She almost seemed to be a device that he sent about simply to further other elements, or remind us of them, at times.

There is a gritty realism to the world that really made it pop for me. Cities stink & chamber pots have to be emptied. Crops suffer, people go hungry, & often live in appalling conditions. There's just enough detail to make it real, but not enough as to bore or overwhelm me. He's avoided the many pitfalls so common to fantasy worlds even in areas where I tend to catch them, such as with horses, woodworking, & metalworking. A properly outfitted knight doesn't ride his war horse for a journey, but a gaited one. Wow! It's about freaking time.

Martin also expands the world with other areas & characters that had barely been touched on in other books. I can't really say much about them without spoiling the book save that they're interesting, but so much added intricacy took its toll in extra pages & even more story to support in future books. He & I have both invested too much in all of this to let any of it fall by the wayside, so I expect future books will suffer lengthy delays & less ability to follow all the events & characters in a single book.

While I'm not all that fond of the way Martin broke this & the 5th book up by area & character, I'm not sure it would have been better any other way. There is just so much story, intricate world building, & a depth of a multitude of important characters that one book just can't cover it all. I am very glad that I waited so long before starting this series & have the 5th book, which is supposed to fill in the gaps, although I'll probably go mad waiting for the 6th book.

I wonder how HBO will handle this, assuming the series lasts this long & I think it will. Game of Thrones, the first season, was fantastically well done. Sure, it lacked some of the detail, but I watched it before reading the book & felt it was almost a reread. Will the producers follow the way Martin has broken up the story line or decide, as so many of the reviewers here have, that not following so many major characters was almost criminal? Well, I'll definitely watch it, no matter what. This story is just too good to miss in any form.

On to [b:A Dance With Dragons|2782553|A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)|George R.R. Martin|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LqynbphlL._SL75_.jpg|2936175], which I got for my wife for Xmas. Smart man, aren't I?
;-) ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
A Feast for Crows was me wat te langdradig. Het verhaal duurt even om op gang te komen, maar dat zijn we bij Martin gewoon. Het zijn vooral de minder interessante personages die aan het woord komen. Ik heb het gevoel dat dit een tussenboek was dat geschreven moest worden. Hopelijk is de opvolger A Dance With Dragons opnieuw een fantasyparel. ( )
  pieterserrien | Aug 16, 2014 |
A lot of readers commented that the pace of ASOIAF starts moving in a crawl beginning from this book. I didn't appreciate how true it was until I actually finished reading it.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what happened. I guess somewhere along the thousands of words, I started getting tired of reading vivid descriptions of every character's clothes, the food they eat etc. I mean, I suppose it's great for artists but really, as a general reader, I don't need all that. What made GRRM stand out in AGOT actually started making his book unnecessarily tedious to read by the third book.

That said, I'm probably biased, because even in the first three books, I was only ever interested in the Wall because as far as I am concerned, that's where all the important things are happening.

Good story, I suppose, but I honestly can't help but feel like this book could be shaved in half without sacrificing much character development or world building. Just my two cents ( )
  Jael112 | Aug 15, 2014 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

The uneasy peace that exists following the death of Robb Stark is threatened by new plots, intrigues, and alliances that once again will plunge the Seven Kingdoms into all-out war for control of the Iron Throne.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,245,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible