A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire:…

A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four (Martin, George Rr) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by George R.R. Martin

16,195394108 (3.99)445
Member:namaste22
Title:A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four (Martin, George Rr)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2005), Kindle Edition, 694 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Tags:Kindle, read in 2012, literature

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Recently added bypluckedhighbrow, doransamuel, mfabriz, private library, xholocene, Alexis_Vacheresse, Bb5, Martyne
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (372)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  French (2)  All (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (393)
If this book were read as a stand alone I can see how it would frustrate but read as the next set of chapters in an ongoing saga it just gets better and better. Yes, it focuses on a different set of slightly less likeable character but in an epic such as 'A song of fire and ice' that is no problem. There's still the twist at the end (but not a wedding or beheading), there's still the politics and plotting, there's still everything that makes this story amazing.

I'm rationing myself because I don't want to reach the end of the books but the stories are so compelling I just want to grab the ned (and last) book and devour it. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
Another book to love. It's so easy to crawl into the skin of the characters, even though some I like more than others - obviously; doesn't everybody? I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  booksandmunches | Jun 14, 2017 |
The first 3 books I enjoyed thoroughly. This book I had to fight through. It is well written but most of the characters the story was told through, are those I care the least for - and so seems the author. Tempo really slow and I got quite bored. I pushed through so I can start next book. The book still get 3 stars due to the overall storyline and some chapters and characters make up for the lack of others.
I was really happy that the last page finally was there. ( )
  Piggelin | Apr 9, 2017 |
The 4th book in the Game of Thrones series takes us pretty much to where the TV series ended in the next to last season. There were some minor deviations from the book, and one major deviation (well maybe, this might still happen), but nothing that blatantly contradicts what happens in the tv show.

Anyway, the books are really bogging down now. I'll read the last published (as of March 2017) book in the series, just because I hate leaving things unfinished--I know that's a stupid reason, but when you've gone this far in a series...

All the faults of the prior books are present here too, and a reader can take only so many lists of family members and their nicknames and yet another description of a castle, another scene where people are maimed, etc., etc.. before one starts skipping paragraphs. And, really, if I read another sentence that starts something like: "In the game of thrones, you...." "if playing the game of thrones, ...." We get it already. In the first couple books, the author would throw in this trope once a book, now it's every few chapters. Ay, yai, yai! ( )
  Marse | Mar 23, 2017 |
Cersei and Brienne become narrators now. Meandering compared to the first three volumes--beginning to get the dreaded feeling Martin could've used a good editor here. (Way too much of the Iron Islands for my taste....) ( )
  beaujoe | Mar 20, 2017 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.
Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,249,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible