A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by George R.R. Martin

13,195300166 (4)400
Member:djfifitrix
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Rating:***1/2

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Recently added byPostModernSleaze, AMKee, private library, JamesCressey, kelliente, sinning, adorste
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (KingdomOfOdd)
    KingdomOfOdd: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (284)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (301)
There has been a lot of controversy surrounding this book, with many calling this the weakest of the five published thus far. I disagree with that assessment, but can understand it. It's the publication dates that matter and mold a lot of opinions.

Book Three: A Storm of Swords was published in 2000, and left the readers in quite a pivotal point in the story. So five years later, here comes the next book in the series, A Feast for Crows. Fans flocked (pun sort of intended) to stores and online, feverishly read the book, only to be shocked that there wasn't a bit of story about some of their favorite characters whose lives hung in the balance from A Storm of Swords. Imagine the indignation, the frustration. Five years, and not a word.

*****This paragraph contains minor spoilers:
But to those fans in an uproar, Martin threw them a bone… at the end of Book Four, he semi-promised them the rest of the story within a year, give or take. He also explained why the story was published this way. Basically, there was so much story to tell he split it in two and instead of telling half the story of each of the characters, he choose to tell the entire story for half the characters and would follow up with the entire story for the other half. Many fans thought he picked the "weaker" story lines for Book Four as a way of guaranteeing the sales of Book Five, which may be true, but I disagree that the storylines were weaker. I feel that Arya, Brie, Jaime, and Cersei are just as strong and just as compelling stories as the others characters.
*****Spoilers end here

No big deal, though, the fans had waited five years, they got a bit of the story to whet their appetites, and although they were not happy about it, they could wait another year with a minimum of grumbling.

So…. the first year passed, the second year passed, jokes began to emerge – the most memorable of which was: "Is Winter Coming?"
Third year, fourth, etc.

YEAR SIX!
A Dance with Dragons (2011) was released. So not only did fans have to wait six years for the story to continue, they had waited a grand total of eleven years to find out the fates of characters they hadn't read since 2000.

So it's easy to see why Feast of Crows is considered the weakest of the books to date, but in a general overall view, and when read back to back, it neatly fits into the plot gears and does much to propel the plot forward. ( )
  Michael_P | Oct 7, 2014 |
This is a tough one for me. While the first three books sucked me in despite my uneasiness reading about extreme violence, rape, etc., this fourth book was exactly as many others described it: too much. It felt like it went on far to long, and could have used some serious editing and better thought about what was integral to the story. So many chapters were dedicated to Cersei's character, yet they all felt like they were just rehashing her character. There was no need to dedicate so much time to reinforce a despicable character who we already understand well from prior books. Unfortunately, I'm unsure if I even want to move on to book number five after this one. Some day I may come back to it, but I definitely need a break. ( )
  brianinseattle | Oct 1, 2014 |
Still interesting...
Still loving this series and do not know where it is going! I have been drawn in and so far have been able to root for the right deaths to come...just never see them coming in the way that they do. I was told early not to have a favorite character and it is truly hard to do that because well $h1t happens and boy does it in this series!
I need to get the next book!!! ( )
  gopfolk | Sep 30, 2014 |
While a great novel, it falls short of the previous three novels in the series. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
The Basics

The drama of Westeros continues! This time with a particular focus on Westeros-based characters in the wake of A Storm of Swords. Particularly getting their story told are Jaime, Cersei, Samwell, and Brienne with a splash of Arya and Sansa and some others. We’re also treated to seeing Braavos and Dorne for the first time.

My Thoughts

When you get into A Song of Ice and Fire, you’re bound to see people talking about their favorite and least favorite books in the series. A Storm of Swords rightly holds the top spot for many readers, and I’m one of them. A lot of people then see A Feast for Crows as a weak follow-up. Strangely, I didn’t feel that way. I realize publication dates and long waits have something to do with some people’s gripes, and I’m not saying that’s not valid. But that wasn’t my situation.

I finally picked this series up after the show started airing. I’d been hounded by a friend of mine for years to just read it, and now that I have, I find myself screaming, “all the wasted years!” By the same token, if waiting for a book long enough can make fans hate it, maybe I was smart to wait. Because this book isn’t as weak as I hear people say. In particular, the arcs for Jaime and Cersei is some of the strongest, character-driven writing I’ve ever seen. Cersei especially. She slowly but surely plummets into a pit she dug for herself and can’t get out of, and it’s a delight. While Jaime slowly climbs out of his pit, which is also a delight.

Here’s where I think people who love this series get irked. A Storm of Swords was plot driven in a huge way. A Feast for Crows is more focused on character development and personal stories. Some don’t impact the greater story and some do, but everyone gets some kind of journey, even if it’s only within themselves. Some people don’t find that riveting, but I do. I find following characters and watching their progress a lot more interesting than trying to remember the names of houses and their banners and who is loyal to what king and who the hell is this guy again?

I like how this book felt like the quiet devastation after a storm, pun somewhat intended. After everything came crashing down in the previous book, now we have people just trying to get by, trying to survive, trying to figure out where their place is in this mess. Brienne’s journey exemplified this really well, in that everything they passed was a landscape full of mud and blood and death. Dead bodies hung from trees and choked rivers. That is the world that ASOS left these characters, and the way it’s dealt with is somewhat solemn and gray. I thought it was fitting and proof that Martin is a master at setting a tone for a book.

Final Rating

5/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,413,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible