A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by George R.R. Martin

12,379None193 (4.01)373
Member:djfifitrix
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

2011 (49) 2012 (42) A Song of Ice and Fire (604) adventure (54) dragons (147) ebook (85) epic (180) epic fantasy (206) fantasy (2,468) fiction (924) Game of Thrones (41) George R. R. Martin (88) hardcover (53) high fantasy (87) intrigue (56) Kindle (82) knights (38) magic (65) medieval (72) novel (101) own (62) politics (66) read (160) science fiction (59) series (228) sff (91) signed (48) to-read (183) unread (56) war (100)
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (Zabeth)
    Zabeth: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (254)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (266)
If you have an addiction to fiction The Song of Ice and Fire series aims to please. The are five going on six books and they just keep getting longer. The plot is nearly impossible to summarize there is so much going on. Think medieval drama on an epic, sweeping scale. Filled with gratuitous amounts of sex, violence, drinking, cursing and all manner of misery these are not for the faint of heart but oh boy are they fun. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 31, 2014 |
Finally finished this bad boy. Love how the story is developing. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
The whole series is gripping. My problem with it is the crazy amount of time between publications. I can deal with it for Harry Potter or series with shorter/simpler books. But these books are so interwoven and full of complex characters that in order to read the next book I'll HAVE to go back and read all five thousand (that's pretty literal) pages of the first four books. That's a lot of pages. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Every writer, I’m sure, hits a rough patch, but few in my experience have collapsed so spectacularly as has George R. R. Martin in the fourth book of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Simply put, the book is no fun. Most of our favorite characters — Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon Snow, among others — are absent for the entire book. Instead, we get several chapters inside Cersei’s head as, for the first time unchecked in her power, she descends into paranoia and makes one utterly foolish decision after another; and we spend chapter after chapter after long chapter with the Vikings — excuse me, the Ironborn — whose only interesting character, Theon’s sister Asha, departs very quickly, leaving as the most sympathetic figure one Victarion, who is sad because he beat his pregnant wife to death. (She was with child by his brother. Whether she was actually unfaithful, or the victim of rape like 90% of Martin’s minor female characters, is never explained.) We are introduced to a potentially interesting storyline set in Dorne, but the characters are never fully drawn, and when the climax of that subplot arrives, it arrives 300 pages after the previous chapter in the same setting, leaving the reader to desperately wrack his brain for the details explaining why the main character is in trouble. (The Dorne storyline is one of several that could just as well have been explained in a few paragraphs.) But mostly we have chapter after chapter of the Vikings, I mean Ironborn, behaving like meaner Hell’s Angels, and several chapters of passive Sam Tarly on a boat, and many, many point-of-view chapters assigned not to major characters, but to minor characters, most not even introduced by name in the chapter heading: “The Prophet,” “The Captain of the Guards,” “The Soiled [sic] Knight,” “The Iron Captain,” “The Drowned Man,” and so on.

At times the writing descends to eighth-grade level. “Kettledrums began to beat as well, boom-boom-boom-boom-boom, boom-boom-boom-boom-boom. A warhorn bellowed, then another. AAAAAAoooooooooooooooooooooooo.” This is an exact quote; I counted the letters. Aieeeeeeeeee!

We are given a significant amount of Arya and Brienne, which is something. But terrible things happen to them both, and one reaches the end of the book not knowing in what condition we will find them next, if we do.

The book drags on. The previous books in the series built to a steadily exciting climax followed by an epilogue that hints at the story of the next book. This books simply stops, apparently at random. As you turn the page, hoping that the final chapter might contain some exciting surprise, you’re suddenly greeted with a chapter headed MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE WALL...; It’s George R. R. Martin, breaking the fourth wall and sheepishly addressing his readers. “‘Hey, wait a minute!’ some of you may be saying about now. ‘Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where’s Dany and the dragons? Where’s Tyrion? We hardly saw Jon Snow. That can’t be all of it....’ Well, no. There’s more to come. Another book as big as this one.” Well, that’s a relief! Martin explains that he did not forget to write about these characters. “I wrote lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. Chapters and more chapters.” Fortunately, the author drops the Dr. Seuss schtick after a couple of paragraphs and attempts to talk to us like adults. He explains that the book he was writing had become too big to publish in a single volume, but instead of simply splitting it in half, he “felt the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters.” He was wrong.

Martin has given us half a story with half the characters. He’s written chapter after chapter of back story and intrigue involving characters who are either uninteresting or downright unpleasant to read about. The resulting mess has no structure and ends abruptly and unsatisfactorily, with a tacked-on apology rather than an epilogue. Having come this far, I’ll read the next book in the series; and until I have, I don’t know whether to recommend simply skipping this one. But I can definitely say that in a perfect world, I never would have read it. ( )
1 vote john.cooper | Mar 17, 2014 |
I had a like/hate relationship with this book. There were some interesting tidbits (mostly coming from Cersei's POV) but for the most part this is the worst book in the series by far. Filled with uninteresting characters and plots (even the couple of well-known characters were lackluster,) the book seemed like a never-ending wave of "oh COME ON! Something has to happen eventually!" This book filled me with anticipation in wanting to carry on the cliffhangers that a Storm of Swords left us on, as I was skipping pages of humdrum conversations and repetition. I must say that I am glad that this book contained Cersei and Jaime because now we have more insight of what may come, and I'm quite looking forward as to how their stories pan out. Thank goodness for GRRM's little note at the end, because now I can't wait to put this book behind me and get cracking on a Dance with Dragons. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

The uneasy peace that exists following the death of Robb Stark is threatened by new plots, intrigues, and alliances that once again will plunge the Seven Kingdoms back into all-out war for control of the Iron Throne.

2064 wanted

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible