A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:djfifitrix
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Rating:***1/2

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (310)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (330)
I’m not in love with this one as much as the first three, although I still highly enjoyed it. I feel like we haven’t gotten ANYWHERE in the story! ( )
  Contusions | Jun 23, 2015 |
In the end, this turned out to be a good read. It is rough going in places, rather densely written and perhaps a bit too detailed. Also George RR Martin has a tendency to use the same name for various characters, and considering he has an ensemble cast of over 2000, this can lead to confusion. (Example? The character name "Pate" is used for at least four different people, two of whom, may be the same.)

What I enjoy most about Martin's novels is the complexity of his character's arcs. They don't tend to end well however, and he brings a whole new meaning to the terms torture and death. Song of Ice and Fire makes JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Stephen King's the Stand feel like a literal cake walk in comparison - regarding character death and horrific acts. Martin is however a far better writer than Stephen King, who tends to get sentimental. Martin is a lot of things but sentimental does not come to mind - which is of the good.

There is a temptation to skim bits here and there - but Martin likes to hide juicy bits of information in what appears to the naked eye to be meaningless chatter. I tried to skim one section, Sansa journeying down the castle cliffs with various companions, one of which engages Sansa in what appears to meaningless chatter - only to realize in a later conversation that a juicy clue had been hinted at. It's worth noting that Sansa tunes out during the meaningless chatter as well. Martin has a knack for taking you so deeply into each character's pov, that you tend to see where they are coming from and realize they don't know as much as you do. Considering he is juggling ten different points of view simultaneously this is quite an accomplishment. As is the adherence to detail.

In some respects, I think of Martin as the modern day equivalent of Charles Dickens, well if Dickens was a fantasy writer with a hard-on for The Middle Ages and a desire to re-enact the War of the Roses with zombies, direwolves and dragons afoot. ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
For some reason I wasn't that enthusiastic about the fourth instalment in this otherwise magnificent fantasy series. It took me a long time to find myself interested in the stories of the newly proposed main characters and felt that there was a lot of talking and thinking but little acting in the story.

At the end however, Martin explained that the next book will cover the same time period but from the perspective of the characters we have got to love or hate in the previous books, which makes me really looking forward to devour it.

Nevertheless, A Feast for Crows cannot get more than three stars from me. I liked it, it was good, but after the third book which is absolutely brilliant, it felt too often as a disappointment.

I'm still a great fan however. :-) ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
The current king of fantasy. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
Better than than the last book, not as much history and flashbacks but still long. The quicker pacing made the length bearable plus there was plenty of action. However, I'm now 4 books into this story and the author keeps killing off or leading into dead ends all the sympathetic characters. I'm wondering if I even want to continue with this series. Perhaps, it would just be best to watch the HBO treatment of the story. Can't say that I am a fan of the author's decision to make book 4 and book 5 separate books of the same story time frame. After book 3 nearly 1/2 the characters disappear in book 4 until book 5 when there story will be told. Since I already own book 5, I guess I'll give it a shot..... ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,872,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible