A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by George R.R. Martin

13,635319155 (4)421
Member:djfifitrix
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 784 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Rating:***1/2

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Recently added byprivate library, Othemts, JosephWhite13, nlm2nd, brooklynsurf, kmarcil77, metzedjt, ODorell
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (301)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (320)
I had a bit of a problem really getting into this book at first, at least compared with my favorites thus far, the first book, A Game of Thrones and the third book, A Storm of Swords. Basically, it was an issue with point of view. Up to this book, Martin had established a pattern. Some viewpoint characters would leave (often shall we say, in a violent and definitive way) and some new characters would gain a point of view, but there was a definite core of characters we were following. It was one way Martin kept interest, even suspense, in the way he'd rotate those characters, because especially given an expansive cast and his way with a cliffhanger, you'd keep turning the pages anxious to find out what happened with Jon or Dany or Arya next.

This book leans heavily on points of view that were not explored up to now, and even one-off and minor characters getting their say. Some familiar and beloved characters are left completely off the stage. Martin explains at the end of the book that his manuscript got so unwieldy he decided to split the book. But he didn't do that chronologically. Rather, A Feast of Crows focuses on events and characters near King's Landing. It makes me fear that this series is becoming an unfocused mess and Martin really has no idea how to end it. Especially since many a reviewer who loved this series and whose opinions I respect--well, let's just say their ratings for the next and latest book, Dances with Dragons, tends to drop precipitously.

And as I said, I had a problem really getting into the characters focused on in this book. Compared to other characters, Cersei and Brienne, who we spend a LOT of time with in this book seem flat to me--too evil, too good, even if both are rather pitiable and rather ironically parallel--Cersei who depends too much on her looks and Brienne constantly damned for them. Cersei did grow on me--not in the way say her brother Jaime did--more in the "oooh, look at that train wreck in the making" love-to-hate sense. That, in the end, is why this book earned four stars and not two. Because even if relatively less involving, this still kept my interest through the massive story, still had some surprises, and the writing and world building is still first rate.

So here's hoping Dances with Dragons isn't as much a mess as reviews seem to indicate--or that Martin can recover, make a course correction and come to a strong finish--because after becoming enraptured with this world and it's characters, it would be a shame to see it collapse into weak porridge. ( )
  LisaMariaC | Feb 28, 2015 |
Again remarkable as its previous one. No king other than Baratheon is there and it is also the first part of the fifth of book. After red wedding more and more twists and turns in plot.Game of thrones is really happening. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I think this book has a bad reputation, following A Storm of Swords I see why. Still though A Feast for Crows holds large bits of the overarching story that some may overlook because their favorite POV character isn't in it. I found it to be a highly enjoyable read. For fear of spoilers I will say no more. ( )
  FourOfFiveWits | Feb 23, 2015 |
I liked it, but since it is only half of a whole I can't rate it much higher. There was one part that I was very happy about. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
A bit of a let down after book #3....I hope it picks up in the next one!
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,792,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible