HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…
Loading...

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by George R. R. Martin

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
15,188367124 (3.99)440
Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2005), Hardcover, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Read, Read in 2012

Work details

A Feast For Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

  1. 30
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 440 mentions

English (347)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (368)
Showing 1-5 of 347 (next | show all)
This book literally took me forever to read because it started off really, really weak. I put it down and then didn't pick up very many books for a good while. But then I finished another book I had been trying to finish for a long while and suddenly became determined to finish this one as well.

The beginning of the story was somewhat confusing as the author introduced a host of new people that had crap all to do with the rest of the story (as far as I was concerned). Once I picked it back up, I forced myself through a few chapters before pausing again. Eventually--I'm not exactly sure when--I hit a chapter that seemed closer to the pervious books and it got me genuinely interested rather than determined for principle's sake.

This book got good a quarter or third of the way in. Half way through, it got really good. Three quarters in and I couldn't put it down!

The author truly redeemed himself once I got past the boring/confusing first chapters of the book, which is why I gave it four stars.

So much betrayal and intrigue and finally we see some people beginning to get what they deserve!! I'm even starting to like Jamie Lannister! This game of thrones is just starting to heat up and is far from being over. I cannot wait to see what happens in the next book!! ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
DAMN YOU, MARTIN.

Why does all the good stuff happen in the last 100 or so pages?

As I explained to the bf, "Some shit went down in this book." ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Inicialmente lo había calificado con 4 estrellas, luego me di cuenta que me tarde TRES MESES en leerlo y pensé que tal vez no me había gustado tanto.

La verdad el inicio del libro se me hizo super aburrido (y con inicio me refiero al primer 70%), tenía que obligarme a leer algunos capítulos sin quedarme dormida. Y es que hay muchos POV que sentía que no aportaban nada a la historia. Algunos cobraron sentido después, otros no tanto. Pero el final no decepciona.

El Prologo es uno de esos capítulos que cobra sentido con el tiempo. Cuando leí el Prologo no entendí cual era la finalidad de todo eso. Y luego llegue a la ultima linea, del ultimo capitulo... Y volví a releer el Prologo, y me di cuenta que George R.R. Martin siempre tuvo un plan.

Hay varias sorpresas en este libro -especialmente lo de Cersei, Arya y Brienne- que hicieron que tuviera que dejar de leer un instante, porque no podía creerlo. Y otras historias que por el contrario no cambiaron casi nada y que era de las que esperaba más sorpresas (esto es con ustedes Jamie, Samwell y Alayne).

Siendo sincera, no creo que hubiese leído estos libros de no ser por la serie de televisión. Porque sí, la historia es asombrosa, pero la escritura es taaaan pesada por momentos. Exceso de descripciones y de metáforas (piel negra como el ebano, cabello rubio como el oro, ojos azules como el cielo de la mañana...) Pero ahora ya es demasiado tarde para detenerme, necesito saber como termina todo.


DATO CURIOSO:
Los cuervos REALMENTE se dan un festín en este libro.

"Los cuervos se dieron un festín con los cadáveres"

"Por el camino que llevas, los cuervos celebrarán un festín con nosotros, querida hermana."

"Tras toda batalla, los cuervos acuden a cientos, a miles, para celebrar un festín con la carne de los caídos."

"Encima de ellos había un cuervo que disfrutaba del seco y correoso festín."

"Los cuervos carroñeros celebran banquetes con los cadáveres de los muertos y los moribundos."

"Lo dejaron para que los cuervos carroñeros se dieran un festín."

"Los cuervos carroñeros se habían ocupado del rostro, y los lobos se habían dado un festín."

"Los cuervos reanudaron su festín."

( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
This book has been several years in the making. I started the series in 2012 and flew through the first three books. When I got to this one, it was an immediate stop. Westeros overload. But when this season of GoT started on HBO, I decided that I had to start reading the series again. Martin is so smart in the way that he structures his books - the first 2/3 consists of long chapters that set a strong foundation for what's coming. The last 1/3 is short, quick chapters that make the story feel much more fast-paced and action packed. When I got to that point, I just could not stop reading.

This part of the story focuses mainly on Brienne, Sansa (Alayne), Arya, Sam, Jaime, and Cersei, among a few others. When I read this, I kept asking myself why do I keep reading these?? They are so full of heartbreak and misery - but I think that's exactly why I keep trudging through the series: I just want to know what happens! It's hard to say much more because the suspense of the stories is what makes these books addictive. If you started the series but haven't finished - I would urge you not to give up! Get to the books when you can devote the time and energy, but don't force it. While heartbreaking, it is certainly a good, sweeping story!
  neverlistless | Jun 8, 2016 |
Very much like Lord of the Rings. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 347 (next | show all)
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)
 

» Add other authors (11 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
First words
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (3)

Book description
Haiku summary
Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.


From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 15 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.99)
0.5 3
1 31
1.5 6
2 179
2.5 48
3 885
3.5 329
4 1734
4.5 194
5 1446

Audible.com

3 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,772,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible