A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2005), Hardcover, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Read, Read in 2012

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (KingdomOfOdd)
    KingdomOfOdd: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (275)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (292)
A Feast for Crows was me wat te langdradig. Het verhaal duurt even om op gang te komen, maar dat zijn we bij Martin gewoon. Het zijn vooral de minder interessante personages die aan het woord komen. Ik heb het gevoel dat dit een tussenboek was dat geschreven moest worden. Hopelijk is de opvolger A Dance With Dragons opnieuw een fantasyparel. ( )
  pieterserrien | Aug 16, 2014 |
A lot of readers commented that the pace of ASOIAF starts moving in a crawl beginning from this book. I didn't appreciate how true it was until I actually finished reading it.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what happened. I guess somewhere along the thousands of words, I started getting tired of reading vivid descriptions of every character's clothes, the food they eat etc. I mean, I suppose it's great for artists but really, as a general reader, I don't need all that. What made GRRM stand out in AGOT actually started making his book unnecessarily tedious to read by the third book.

That said, I'm probably biased, because even in the first three books, I was only ever interested in the Wall because as far as I am concerned, that's where all the important things are happening.

Good story, I suppose, but I honestly can't help but feel like this book could be shaved in half without sacrificing much character development or world building. Just my two cents ( )
  Jael112 | Aug 15, 2014 |
This book was so boring I think I may have slept through half of it. ( )
  meggarrett0609 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Greatest fantasy series since LOTR

Greatest fantasy series since LOTR

I like the subtle build-up to fantastical elements; it gives the story a believable feel while still giving us the dragons and magic we love. Also, Martin has no problem "breaking rules" and doing unexpected things with plots. I flew through the first four books in a week. Love it. ( )
  SENSpence | Jul 31, 2014 |
Obviously I'm not a typical fan, but reading this series is getting to be more work than fun. Fantasy is supposed to be entertaining, but I don't have time to find the entertaining parts among the chaff. I have certain characters whose stories engross me, but just when I'm really getting into them, the chapter ends and it's time for somebody else's tale. The only reason I'm going on to Book 5 is to see how the thing ends up. ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

The uneasy peace that exists following the death of Robb Stark is threatened by new plots, intrigues, and alliances that once again will plunge the Seven Kingdoms into all-out war for control of the Iron Throne.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible