A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by George R. R. Martin

13,355305165 (4)407
Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2005), Hardcover, 784 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Read, Read in 2012

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (KingdomOfOdd)
    KingdomOfOdd: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (289)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (306)
As someone who never grew close to almost any of the characters, I liked this book better than most. It was nice to see the perspectives of some of the lesser known characters. I hated when Martin used character nicknames as chapter titles instead of their actual names, but that's a small nitpicky thing. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 18, 2014 |
I now know why I didn't remember most of this book from my first reading. It's most likely because I skipped huge chucks of it. Half the character perspectives in this fourth installment are of characters I don't like or didn't care for. I got through every word of it this time. Luckily when you're listening to an audio book it's so much harder to skip ahead that you just don't attempt to. While some of the chapters I might not have cared for, they still were very important to the storyline, which is no doubt why they are in there. And the chapters from the perspective of those I don't like, well... I have to admit it does give you the justification that that character gives her or himself for their actions, which I think is important, especially in this series which is not about right or wrong. But still, there were times I felt like reaching into the audio book and strangling Cersei. Hopefully she gets what's coming to her. I did enjoy Jamie's journey through this volume at least. The volume gets a four star because I struggled to get through the book. I am now all caught up to where I was when I left off this series. It's all new ground from here which should be exciting, at least until I finish A Dance With Dragons and have to wait for the sixth book then. The series is highly recommended, even if you have to push yourself through this fourth book. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 1, 2014 |
I have been reading books 1-4 continuously and I fear that the last hurdle is more than I can bite. So my determination to see out all books published till now has buckled. The current book read as a shadow of book 1. I don't know how little or how much entertaining book 5 will be, but I don't hold high hopes.

We barely saw John Snow which was fine by me as long as we saw Arya, but though her chapters were the best thing about this book, there were too few of them. I wonder how will Arya progress from a hypothetically skilled assassin to a magically endowed killer. The few superlative things here were too fleeting and unsatisfying. The meeting between Brienne and Catelyn was such a moment. Catelyn was truly dead. That was sad. The fact that she came back from the dead made her existence creepy. But her currently decrepit state made for a sad inventory. Sometimes I don't know what to make of A Feast For Crows.

The best character that evolved naturally and organically was, hands down, Jaime. True, I never read much about his more evil days, but you get to buy into the changes to his personality. I don't think that Cersei will die, so it will be interesting to see how she extricates herself from the mess she's put herself in without Jaime's help. A further high point to book 4 was how Cersei and Jaime viewed the growing up of Tommen. Cersei is a terrible mother. The rest of the world knows that. I can't see Tommen growing into Joffrey 2. But who knows? There was a slimmer, meaner book hidden in this tome, but with so many distracting cliffhangers, how can one appreciate it? Too many cliffhangers are like too many cooks. There should be only one per work. ( )
  Jiraiya | Nov 30, 2014 |
I'm in love with the Song of Ice and Fire series. I (thankfully) didn't start reading the series until recently, so I didn't have to suffer the VERY long waits between books. If I had, I wouldn't have continued with the series. In contrast to some people believing this book receives the title of 'weakest' book in the series due to the long wait: I agree that this book has been the most disappointing so far. I actually took a few months off from reading it, in order to 'forget' all the questions I was dying for answers for, and all the characters I was hoping to hear from. We read series because we fall in love with the characters and their lives. To have whole books that don't include the characters we've fallen in love with?? THAT was a poor decision on Martin's part. ( )
  cabracrazy18 | Nov 26, 2014 |
A Feast for Crows is the fourth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series. And you absolutely must have read the first three before starting it. So if you haven't read the first volume, head over to A Game of Thrones.

While writing the fourth book, George R.R. Martin realized that it was much too long. What to do? He split up the story based on the regions of characters. Thus, A Feast for Crows carries over the stories of only four POV characters from the last book: Sansa (now sometimes referred to as Alayne), Arya (now sometimes referred to as Cat), Jamie, and Samwell.

The rest of the space is taken up by two new major POV characters and an assortment of minor ones. I felt that the minor POV chapters weakened the book. While they did show what was happening in Dorne and on the Iron Islands, they took away from the flow of the story and never were able to develop their narrators to the level of the repeating POV characters. Generally, whenever there’s a large number of POV characters in different parts of the world with their own plots, the book will have trouble pulling together. Feast of Crows suffered from that. Characters would be left hanging for hundreds of pages only to ultimately end on a cliffhanger.

The major new POV characters are Brienne and Cersi. I’m glad Brienne got her own sections as I really like her, but I did find some of her chapters rather boring. She’s got an aim in mind, but for most of the book she seems to be just wandering around Westros.

Cersi, I did not like. She might have provided a viewpoint at King’s Landing, but I hated reading her chapters.

My previous reviews brought up some aspects I found problematic with the series. Well, this book gives us a second non-lesbians having lesbian sex scene. You’d think that a prerequisite of a lesbian sex scene would be, you know, lesbians, but apparently not. And neither of the POV characters involved in the scenes were bi either. It’s sort of creepy when there’s an apparent pattern of straight women having lesbian sex…

What with the missing POV characters, the draggy pace, and the cliffhanger endings, I’d say this is my least favorite in the series so far. Hopefully the next will be better.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Nov 12, 2014 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible