A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

A Feast for Crows (original 2005; edition 2006)

by George R.R. Martin

13,554310157 (4)418
Member:edgeworth
Title:A Feast for Crows
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 1104 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:game of thrones, song of ice and fire, fantasy, politics, religion

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Recently added byemsoukup, private library, ankney1, MarBerth, davidkuklis, wishanem, ainsworthe
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (KingdomOfOdd)
    KingdomOfOdd: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (293)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (310)
I was a little dissapointed in this one. I don't think it lived up to the first three books. Each of those books took me about a week to read despite the size. I just didn't feel compelled to binge read with this instalation. Plus, my favorite chacaters were either not in this book at all or didn't play a large role. I know that I can pick up the next book, and I will in a couple of weeks, but it just seemed like a bit of a let down.

I think this book, and I'm assuming the next one, are plot books. I really hope that the 6th book not only comes out, at all really, but is to the same standard of the first three. ( )
  sscarllet | Jan 27, 2015 |
And the saga continues! I will say that this book took me longer to read than the other ones, mainly because some of the characters that were focused on where not as interesting as those in the other books. This book included characters like Brienne (which I was happy to see, as I like her) and some characters who were maybe mentioned in the other books but didn't play big parts.

Well, a couple of them still didn't play a major part in this book either. There were chapters centered on characters that were either new or played very minor parts which was annoying at first. What about all the main people! But as I kept reading the book, the events that happen in those particular chapters start to gain importance. Even if nothing totally plot changing occurs around the events in those chapters, the sections are ended in such a way that would suggest that it will be important later.

One of the most interesting additions were the chapters about Cersei. Finally, we get an explanation as to why she is so insane! We also get a glimpse into her mind and how she sees the world and comes to her conclusions about the people and events around her. And let me tell you, it was one heck of a ride. In my opinion, she was the most compelling character in this book.

Like the second book, most of A Feast for Crows was about the politics of war and the never ending chain of backstabbing, bad decisions, and spying. The majority of the book was intrigue rather than battle and while some major fighting occurs, it doesn't take center stage. In actuality, this is my favorite part of this whole series. Martin doesn't focus only on the physical fighting of war but at the plots, marriages, and betrayals that really make up the majority of the war. Sure, winning battles on the field helps win the whole war, but nothing is as affective as writing the right letter at the right time to the right person.

The only reason I didn't rate this one higher was because some of the characters seemed to drag on. While I like Brienne, I felt that her parts started becoming a little worn out and dry which made them boring to read. That, and I still haven't warmed up to Sam, so I still roll my eyes when a Sam chapter comes up. Other than those slow places where no action of any kind, mental or physical, occur, this was a great read. On to the fifth! And then a long torturous wait until the sixth one...Damn. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Slog. Slog. SLOG. There's no other word for it. If you want to read the series, you've got to get through it, but there's nothing good to say about a book that takes 700 pages to advance a plot three steps. And all three of those steps occur in the last 100 pages and are clearly designed to merely set up the last book.

Slog.

Okay, fine, I came back and added a second star simply for Brienne, who over the course of this book cemented her status as one of my favorites. I'm not sure she makes up for Martin's strange need to constantly write about the rape and torture of women like he's writing about lunch, but she's pretty great. She's worth one star. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
3.5 stars-->rounding up

I can't believe how long it took me to finish this. I think I read most of it at the beginning of the year, but I was unable to finish the last 10% because I just could not get past a Brienne chapter. I finally came back to it this month to try to power through to the ending. Would probably be a solid 4 stars if it weren't for the massively uninteresting ironborn chapters. ( )
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
I wish George RR Martin would have out the explanation at the beginning of the book as to why he wrote this book and the next as a two parter- it made you understand and appreciate this story on its own merits. I knew I would see Catelyn Stark again and she is better than ever. Brief, but back.

I really enjoyed Cersei's story. I did not enjoy the introduction of the Iron Born and I thought the Kings (Queens) moot would never happen. As usual with these books, main characters are not spared and I was very dismayed at what happened to Arya.

The religious army interests me. I missed Tyrion and will be glad to rejoin him in the next book. I was really pleased to see Sansa toughen up and evolve. I got sick of her whingeing ways. ( )
  ozzieslim | Dec 27, 2014 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,129,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible