A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

A Feast for Crows (original 2005; edition 2006)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:edgeworth
Title:A Feast for Crows
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 1104 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:game of thrones, song of ice and fire, fantasy, politics, religion

A Feast For Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (333)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (354)
Found this one a bit more dragged out than the others... in fact I almost gave up half way through .. went away to read other things.. and then came back to it. I started again from the beginning and persevered.. and finally got to the end where George aplogieses to the Reader!! LOL.. and so he should, I reckon. Still a good read and the four stars is more an appreciation for the previous books and an expectation of the next one :) ( )
  Mecaza | Feb 10, 2016 |
The worst of the series so far - too many new characters and not enough of the old ones. And what's happened to the great event that we expect of each book?! ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
The much-hyped and much-awaited 4th volume in 'A Song of Ice and Fire'...
While I have been loving these books, and was excited to find out 'what happens next' to the characters, I don't think this volume is going to win any awards... one could argue that it's not really even a novel - it doesn't really have any coherent structure - or even actual plot.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading it immensely...
but, it continues in the manner of the previous books, devoting each chapter to a different character. This book doesn't contain all of the characters (half were 'saved' for the next volume) but even so, there are so many characters that they seem to rarely repeat. You read an episode in one person's life.. then on to the next person, and then the next... and there's so many that what's happening doesn't progress that much...

Basically, and these aren't really spoilers, 'cause you could have guessed most of it from the last books: Cersei is being crazy and making an egomaniacal mess of trying to rule as regent for Tommen.
Brienne, in accordance with her vow, is tromping around looking for Sansa, with no luck, enduring tribulations.
Sansa is living under an assumed identity in a vaguely creepy situation (with Littlefinger).
Arya has found shelter (?) in a weird religious death cult.
Jaime is pissed off about losing his hand, but overall isn't as nasty as he used to be.

And a bunch of other characters are doing their various things, and not really (for the most part) interacting with one another.

There is hardly any mention at all of what initially seemed like it would be the main drama in this story - the supernatural threats from beyond the Wall.

The writing and characterization is great. Martin is a truly great writer.
But this book is just not as good as the first three in the series, as literature.

Also, the first three books do a good job of balancing the grittiness, misery, perversion, plotting and violence of the drama with moments of love, joy and honor - all that good stuff. This volume has few, if any, moments of brightness to contrast with the sordid reality that the characters are all living in. This is, undoubtedly, intentional, but makes the book less 'fun' than previous installments. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Interesting and fun, like all the books from this saga, although I missed most of my favorite characters. ^^ ( )
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is probably the worst book in the series up to this point. The pace is overwhelmingly slow, in a good 80% of the book. It's so highly political, with very little magic, if any at all, that it's an exceptional bore. The very first part of the book starts strong introducing you to the Drowned Prophet, the Four Shields and the Greyjoys. Then it gets slow, only to peak with the Greyjoys in the middle of the book, then slows down to cold molasses on a winter day with Cersei and Sansa/Alayne. It ends strong, for sure. The last 8 chapters really bring a lot of the story to good points, but overall, this book is a struggle to get through.

Even worse, knowing that now I get to read "A Dance with Dragons", and start off with book 5 where book 3 left off, means I'm not looking forward to this next book. GRRM really is not a good author. This series is a serious struggle to get through. There are several problems with this story:

* It's not clean, morally or ethically. There is a lot of rape, child sex, and incest. I don't care if "that is what it was like back then". I don't want to read about it.
* Martin throws around characters like they're going out of style. Every chapter, it seems, some character or family name is mentioned. It's hard to stay on top of.
* The momentum is amazingly slow for very long stretches of time, to the point of boredom. Then, jarringly enough, it picks up quickly, only to slow down fantastically slowly again.
* It's very stereotypical fantasy. There really isn't anything unique magic-wise.
* Characters can go several chapters before being discussed again, while other characters are discussed frequently.
* The prologue is never flushed out in the story, which is just strange to me.

And now with this book:

* I am looking for a maid of three-and-ten with blue eyes and auburn hair. Ugh.

Even though those are my negative reviews of the book, there are some saving graces:

* Imagery is fantastic. There is no doubt in my mind as to what people or things look like.
* It's a political story firstly, magic second. However, the magic isn't neglected, and it's slowly introduced through the story, enough to keep you reading.
* There really isn't any "good vs evil" story. Everyone has their own agenda, good or ill. So in that case, it's very much NOT a stereotypical fantasy.

The only reason I'm reading the series, is because the HBO series seems to be doing so well. Even though I haven't seen any of the episodes, I'm interested in what HBO sees in the story. After reading the series in full, I'll checkout HBO's interpretation. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible