A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

A Feast for Crows (original 2005; edition 2006)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:edgeworth
Title:A Feast for Crows
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 1104 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:game of thrones, song of ice and fire, fantasy, politics, religion

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (2005)

Recently added byquietcore, cm85, Osanna, private library
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (swampygirl)
    swampygirl: Reading this book made me feel like I was rereading all of Pierce's books over again, and this one probably matches up the most closely.

English (315)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (334)
"I feel really bad about giving Martin anything less than four stars, but I'm only being honest. I actually didn't hate this book or anything. There's a lot that I loved about it. For instance, the further development of the characters. Martin has always done this exceptionally well. Regarding guys such as Cersei, Jaime and Brienne, I got a greater understanding about the events which helped mold them into who they are. While I'll probably never like the Queen Regent, I undoubtedly understand why she's so vile and, to a limited extent, misunderstood. Her chapters, which I would find boring on the previous books, were some of my favorites on this one. The chapters set in Dorne and the Iron Islands were amazing. They fascinated me, really. Sadly, they are few and far between.

Despite embracing the changes presented therein, I greatly missed my most beloved characters: Tyrion, Dany, Bran, Jon Snow. At least I got a lot of Arya. Speaking of, her story developed in such a way, so fast, that sometimes I felt shocked. I always imagined she would become some kind of warrior, but my wilder guess would not have scratched the path to which the author led her.

My only complaint about this book, which makes for the 2 stars discount, is the lack of details regarding what was going on in the war. I was constantly told about the general picture, but there were no POVs near the events, which was kind of frustrating. When you're anticipating an epic battle and then the only thing you are shown are distant dialogues about it, things get a little disappointing.

Anyway, my intent here was never to criticize the novel in any way. On the contrary, I think it was pretty good, considering my favorite characters weren't there. I'm sure a lot of people liked it even more than the previous books.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
My old grandmother always used to say, Summer friends will melt away like summer snows, but winter friends are friends forever.

The Last Passage
Sam stared at the strange pale flame for a moment, then blinked and looked away. Outside the window it was growing dark.
“There’s an empty sleeping cell under mine in the west tower, with steps that lead right up to Walgrave’s chambers,” said the pasty-faced youth. “If you don’t mind the ravens quorking, there’s a good view of the Honeywine. Will that serve?”
“I suppose.” He had to sleep somewhere.
“I will bring you some woolen coverlets. Stone walls turn cold at night, even here.”
“My thanks.” There was something about the pale, soft youth that he misliked, but he did not want to seem discourteous, so he added, “My name’s not Slayer, truly. I’m Sam. Samwell Tarly.”
“I’m Pate,” the other said, “like the pig boy.”
" ( )
1 vote AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Another great book in the series. It was a good deal slower and felt like1000 pages of setup. But i really likewhere things are for the next installment. ( )
  FarmerNick | Aug 31, 2015 |
George RR Martin regals us with the forth verse of A Song of Ice and Fire. The way the characters interact with each other is only bested by the way you find yourself wondering f you are reading a fantasy novel or a mystery one.

In his Universe, evil and good are foreign concepts. People are people, with sins and virtues, and, while some characters are openly ambitious and would be seen as villains, you understand where they come from and, why not? sometimes hope they get away.

As a non-native English speaker, the prose full of words that escape common use is a welcome change, and a demonstration of the complexity and value of the English language as a literacy juggernaut. ( )
  m_cyclops | Aug 17, 2015 |
The plotting, scheming and conniving continue in the quest for control of the realm.

In this fourth instalment in Mr. Martin’s series he has pared down the character list a little. Although other players in “the game of thrones” are mentioned this book centers on the Lannisters. Not short of blood and guts, this book had less battles and more character development. The neglect of the other characters is explained at the end of the book and I look forward to the next in the instalment to catch up with more of Arya, Jon, Tyrion and Daenerys.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Having thoroughly enjoyed the previous three novels in A Song of Fire and Ice as well as HBO’s Game of Thrones, I was thoroughly looking forward to reading this, and was also disappointed when I was finished. Whereas Martin’s previous novels were tight, and loaded with drama and intrigue, this one was horribly long-winded and overwritten. There were pages and pages of useless information about characters that are irrelevant. The whole saga of the Greyjoys and the men of the Iron Islands was not terribly interesting and could have been entirely cut. Even among the characters that I enjoy, the storylines involving Brienne and Jaimie Lannister seemed pointless.

Martin at this point is a victim of his own success. His series is so wildly popular that he is at the point that he can write whatever he wants and people will buy it. However, what he really needed in this book was an editor who was willing to hack and slash all of the irrelevant stuff, which was about a third of a book. This book wasn’t terrible. The writing is still good and some of the story lines are interesting, this was clearly the worst of the books I’ve read in the series. I can only hope that in future novels, stronger editing will be employed. For the first time, I can say that the television show is superior to the book.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity ( )
2 vote Carl_Alves | Jul 3, 2015 |
In the wrong hands, a big ensemble like this can be deadly, but Martin is a tense, surging, insomnia-inflicting plotter and a deft and inexhaustible sketcher of personalities... this is as good a time as any to proclaim him the American Tolkien.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Nov 13, 2005)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Stephen Boucher wizard of Windows, dragon of DOS without whom this book would have been written in crayon
"Dragons," said Mollander. He snatched a withered apple off the ground and tossed it hand to hand.

Characters you miss
Replaced with plotless boredom
Brownian motion
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358202X, Mass Market Paperback)

GAME OF THRONES: A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, NOW ON HBO.

Few books have captivated the imagination and won the devotion and praise of readers and critics everywhere as has George R. R. Martin’s monumental epic cycle of high fantasy. Now, in A Feast for Crows, Martin delivers the long-awaited fourth book of his landmark series, as a kingdom torn asunder finds itself at last on the brink of peace . . . only to be launched on an even more terrifying course of destruction.

A FEAST FOR CROWS

It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery, the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce. Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels, and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control for so long, has burned itself out.

But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead.

It is a time when the wise and the ambitious, the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills, the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests—but only a few are the survivors.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

After centuries of bitter strife, the seven powers dividing the land have beaten one another into an uneasy truce. But it's not long before the survivors, outlaws, renegades, and carrion eaters of the Seven Kingdoms gather. Now, as the human crows assemble over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed while surprising faces--some familiar, others only just appearing--emerge from an ominous twilight of past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges of the terrible times ahead. Nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages, are coming together to stake their fortunes ... and their lives. For at a feast for crows, many are the guests-- but only a few are the survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,142,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible