All Things Bright and Beautiful by James…

All Things Bright and Beautiful (original 1974; edition 2004)

by James Herriot

Member:trgangwer
Title:All Things Bright and Beautiful
Authors:James Herriot
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2004), Paperback, 384 pages

All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot (1974)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
Read in its entirety to my infant, who I expect now to become an expert in 1930's veterinary medicine.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
The world's most beloved animal doctor delightfully continues where he left off in All Creatures Great and Small with new adventures through the Yorkshire dales-- and a whole new menagerie of memorable patients. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 27, 2017 |
This is Herriot's second book about his vet practice in rural England in the 1930s. This one starts just after he has married Helen and ends with him joining the Air Force (presumably just before the war?). At this point, he is trying to expand the practice (which includes brothers, Siegfried and Tristan) to include more small animals (pets).

He is such a great storyteller! Not only does he include stories about the animals he treated, but he has stories about the people, in general. You can tell how much he loved living in the rural area, and he has plenty of humour in his stories. I really enjoyed this one, as well. ( )
1 vote LibraryCin | Aug 9, 2016 |
These four books were the first I read from the adult section of the tiny town library I grew up with. Still remember them fondly - still don't want to be involved in animal husbandry or to have a pet. That universality of appeal is a large part of their genius. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
James Herriot was a veterinarian in rural Yorkshire during the early to mid twentieth century. His books are just collections of stories about his work and life. All Things Bright and Beautiful picks up where All Creatures Great and Small left off. Herriot is married to Helen now, and his companions and customers are just as charming and witty as ever.

There really isn’t any difference between Herriot’s first and second books; they could have been published as a single volume except for the length. They’re just wonderful books that make you feel good about being alive, especially if you’re an animal-lover. I definitely recommend Herriot’s work to anyone who’s interested. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all. Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895
With love to my wife and to my mother in dear old Glasgow town
As I crawled into bed and put my arm around Helen it occurred to me, not for the first time, that there are few pleasures in this world to compare with snuggling up to a nice woman when you are half frozen.

Let Sleeping Vets Lie &
Vet in Harness

"A very warm, very engaging read. . . . The reader falls totally under his spell."
--Associated Press

The second volume in the multimillion copy bestselling series

Millions of readers have delighted in the wonderful storytelling and everyday miracles of James Herriot in the over thirty years since his delightful animal stories were first introduced to the world.

Now in a new edition for the first time in a decade, All Things Bright and Beautiful is the beloved sequel to Herriot's first collection, All Creatures Great and Small, and picks up as Herriot, now newly married, journeys among the remote hillside farms and valley towns of the Yorkshire Dales, caring for their inhabitants---both two- and four-legged. Throughout, Herriot's deep compassion, humor, and love of life shine out as we laugh, cry, and delight in his portraits of his many, varied animal patients and their equally varied owners.

"Humor, realism, sensitivity, earthiness; animals comic and tragic; and people droll, pathetic, courageous, eccentric---all of whom he views with the same gentle compassion and a lively sense of the sad, the ridiculous, and the admirable."
--Columbus Dispatch

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

This sequel to Herriot's first omnibus collection, "All Creatures Great and Small, " picks up as Herriot, now newly married, journeys among the remote hillside farms and valley towns of the Yorkshire Dales, caring for their inhabitants---both two- and four-legged. Throughout, Herriot's deep compassion, humor, and love of life shine out as we laugh, cry, and delight in his portraits of his many, varied animal patients and their equally varied owners.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,845,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible