Cocaine by Pitigrilli

Cocaine

by Pitigrilli

Italian (1)  English (1)  All (2)
This book was a really different read for me. Maybe it was just the time period in which it was written or the fact that the author was foreign and it was translated. I'm not sure. I don't really know how to describe what I'm trying to say. It's almost as if it was a more intellectual read then what I'm used to. Regardless, it was a great book. I didn't like that I couldn't understand some of the language that was used (b/c it wasn't translated) in some of the conversations but I didn't feel like I missed anything by not understanding a few sentences or words here or there.

The story is that of Tito. A man of several mistresses and his story as he juggles them and what they each mean to him. I admit I was confused at first when the started calling Maud "Cocaine". I thought it was the actual drug he was addicted to (because he tries it earlier in the book and continues to use it) not her. But the author leaves little personal notes throughout the book to the reader (which I enjoyed) and that is how I resolved the confusion of who or what Cocaine was. Tito was a character in himself. A man that holds a job by not working. A man with mistresses more enticing and intriguing then him. Which was hard to do. I would recommend this book. I'm just not sure to whom as it was such a different read, as I said before. I would love to read another translated book by New Vessel Press as they seem to have several interesting ones in the works. ( )
1 vote campingmomma | Oct 16, 2013 |
Ella è una cosa molle, elastica, che s'incurva a destra, a sinistra, in avanti, con la flessibilità d'un giglio che abbia un fiore così pesante da reclinare fino a terra il corpo stordito dal profumo. Sul petto e sulle braccia e intorno alle caviglie brillano gocce di sudore, e dai capelli sciolti cadono le rose e le forcine: ella sorride mostrando tutti i denti bianchissimi, e due grandi occhi stupefatti d'uccello di rapina

Paris in the 1920s - dizzy and decadent. Where a young man can make a fortune with his wits ... unless he is led into temptation. Cocaine's dandified hero Tito Arnaudi invents lurid scandals and gruesome deaths, and sells these stories to the newspapers. But his own life becomes even more outrageous than his press reports when he acquires three demanding mistresses. Elegant, witty and wicked, Pitigrilli's classic novel was first published in Italian in 1921 and charts the comedy and tragedy of a young man's downfall and the lure of a bygone era. The novel's descriptions of sex and drug use prompted church authorities to place it on a list of forbidden books, while appealing to filmmaker Rainer Werner Fassbinder who wrote a script based on the tale. Cocaine retains its venom even today.--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,637,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible