Sins of a Duke by Suzanne Enoch

I was really looking forward to this book and I couldn't have been more disappointed. I hated the heroine, the hero fell off the pedestal I had him on.The sex scenes were boring and weirdly placed. If I could I would give this zero stars.

Hollie1122 | Oct 5, 2014 |
"Princess" Josefina certainly is everything she appears to be. Her scheming father who portrays himself and his family as royalty of a non-existent country have met their match in the Griffin family and the Duke of Melbourne when they try to swindle money from the Bank of England. More intrigue and adventure than romance this book is a departure from the ranks of hot, steamy passionate historical romance. Our hero, the staunch Sebastion, is worthy of much more than a shallow faux-princess but alas Cupid has seen fit to have Josefina appeal to him in the most ridiculous way. Enoch has found the way to turn lust into love and by story's end all is well, as it should be.

To this reader's dismay both Sebastian and Josefina should have shown more depth to their characters, although fans of Enoch will already have some idea of what makes Sebastian tick. Overall this was an easy to follow story line but I still felt that there was something lacking. ( )
  AuthorMarion | Jul 30, 2011 |
Of course I've always liked my heroes forceful and in charge. I also enjoy a kick ass woman and this book had both. Sins of a Duke brings Sebastian Griffin, the Duke of Melbourne and Princess Josefina Katarina Embry in sights of one another. Princess Josefina is from South America (this is rare, usually I only come across Jamaica in a historical romance novel). Sebastian is the head of his family (duhhh, the duke) and when he is tasked by the Prince Regent to be the liaison between the Embrys and England. He is instantly attracted to Josefina and that really surprises him because he hasn't been attracted to anyone in the four years since his wife's death. He does have an adorable daughter who gives him advice on love (she's seven) so you have to enjoy a story where the man can be forceful one moment and then tender with a child the next. Anyway, the Embrys are in town to do two things, one is to gain a loan to help set up their newly founded country Costa Habichuela and two, to find a husband for Josefina.

The King of Costa Habichuela, Stephen Embry is an Englishman originally and requested Sebastian because he wanted to make a match there between Sebastian and Josefina. The only problem is that Sebastian really thinks that there is something wrong with the way the Embrys are describing Costa Habichuela. He starts to do some digging and definitely thinks that they are lying. Are they lying? No clue. I ain't telling you. But I will say that this is a continuation of The Griffin Family.
  caseym22 | Oct 27, 2010 |
Thoroughly unlikeable, childish shrew of a "heroine" made it very unbelievable that the hero could ever fall in love with her. Lust, maybe, but after their first few exchanges I found it hard to believe he kept coming back for more. I haven't hated a book this much for quite some time. ( )
1 vote AJRyan6of7 | Aug 6, 2008 |
Disappointing...I normally enjoy Suzanne Enoch's work but this one just dropped the ball. I didn't even finish it. We never get inside the heroine's head (at least not in the first 100 pages), the hero has all the requirements of a historical romance (titled, wealthy, arrogant) but there is no explanation for the chemistry between the two. Josefina's behavior is outrageous and offputting, creating an unsympathetic character. I was so turned off I put the book down. ( )
1 vote montano | Jul 12, 2007 |
From the expressions on the faces of the soldiers who marched up from the Horse Guards, someone was in for a bloodbath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060843071, Mass Market Paperback)

Lust is a Sin . . .

Sebastian Griffin, the Duke of Melbourne, has raised his younger siblings, seen to it that they made correct matches, and basically kept everyone in line. Seen as the most powerful man in England, Sebastian has a reputation for propriety and has maintained a scandal-free life.

Until now.

Josefina Katarina Embry is a beauty, to be sure, but she claims to be the princess of a faraway country. While she dazzles the ton with her wit and charm, Sebastian suspects she's up to something. And he's determined to expose her . . . if only he wasn't so distracted by her brazen sensuality and the irresistible allure of her kiss. Sebastian knows an affair will lead them into scandal, but will the most powerful man in England risk all for a princess of dubious lineage . . . or will he allow a most sinful desire to rule his heart?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

Sebastian Griffin, an upstanding aristocrat and one of the most powerful men in England, is surrounded by scandal when he gets involved with Josefina Katarina Embry, who, claiming to be a princess, has captivated the ton and him, but who is hiding a dark secret.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible