Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Doomsday Book (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Connie…

Doomsday Book (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (original 1992; edition 2012)

by Connie Willis (Author), Christopher Gibbs (Illustrator)

6,780320996 (4.1)1 / 811
For Kivrin, preparing an on-site study of one of the deadliest eras in humanity's history was as simple as receiving inoculations against the diseases of the fourteenth century and inventing an alibi for a woman traveling alone. For her instructors in the twenty-first century, it meant painstaking calculations and careful monitoring of the rendezvous location where Kivrin would be received. But a crisis strangely linking past and future strands Kivrin in a bygone age as her fellows try desperately to rescue her. In a time of superstition and fear, Kivrin -- barely of age herself -- finds she has become an unlikely angel of hope during one of history's darkest hours.… (more)
Member:dalai-lt
Title:Doomsday Book (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Authors:Connie Willis (Author)
Other authors:Christopher Gibbs (Illustrator)
Info:Gateway (2012), 608 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (1992)

Recently added byDrFuriosa, private library, nanoqueen, stevewolfhard, dunnettreader, JuliW, wallsi
    To Say Nothing of the Dog, or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (amberwitch, Othemts, Patangel)
    amberwitch: A much lighter story set in the same universe.
    Othemts: To Say Nothing of the Dog is a more light-hearted time travel adventure which is sort of a sequel to Doomsday Book. Both are excellent, enjoyable novels.
    Blackout by Connie Willis (bell7)
    bell7: Some characters return in this story, set in 1944 England, and involving similar themes of how people react in a crisis.
    Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (labfs39)
    Eifelheim by Michael Flynn (Ape)
    Ape: Far from identical stories, but both are sci-fi takes on the black death (Eifelheim: Aliens, Doomsday Book: Time Travel.) There are numerous similarities, and I think if you like one the other might be worth looking into.
    The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century by Ian Mortimer (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: A non-fiction book about everyday life in C14th England, written as though you the reader are there. Kivrin would have found this essential reading to prepare for her journey into the past.
    The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: Both amazing books featuring dangerous flu like viruses and how people cope in emergency situations
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (Kichererbse)
    Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (Anonymous user)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (sturlington)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (JGolomb)
    The Annals of Ireland by Friar John Clyn (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: The Annals of Ireland was referenced and quoted a few times in Doomsday Book
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (Othemts)
    Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor (Aug3Zimm)
    Aug3Zimm: Time travel to the past as part of educational study
    The Plague by Albert Camus (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books that depict how communities deal with plagues.
    Company of Liars by Karen Maitland (Othemts)
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: This is another book that really brings a period of history to life around you.
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (labrick)
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (JGolomb)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (cmbohn)

1990s (11)

English (314)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  All languages (318)
This is a solid 2-star book that gets an upgrade for really vivid characters. Father Roche and Mary Ahrens in particular. This book could have been trimmed about in half and it would have moved so much faster. There is a kernel of a solid story, but it gets lost in pages of boring fruitless searches, missed calls, and hand wringing. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Nov 29, 2020 |
In a year of good science fiction I have read written by men and women this year this might be my favorite. I have fallen in love with Margaret Atwood as a writer and yet found Connie Willis' characters full and alive.
Not to say that this book is amazing. It has characters that I fell in love with and genuinely cared about. 50 pages before the end of the book I could have done without the future epidemic and future world as a whole. After finishing the book everything paid off.
There were 2 story points were animals were harmed and I could have done without that.
Altogether a good book by a good author that just happens to be a woman. If you are trying to read less old white guy books this should be on your list. ( )
  jerame2999 | Nov 14, 2020 |
This is a great sci-fi book - just enough sci-fi to qualify for the genre, and to add interest, but delivered with interesting characters, tight writing, quite a bit of humour and a plot that engages the reader. Wonderful!
And although first published back in 1992, the book is so very topical for 2020 - the story is set in 2054, and in the recent past there has been a serious flu pandemic that scarred the world. Millions died, including many in USA where quarantine was seen by many as an infringement of civil liberties! There is a new outbreak of a different deadly flu in the present time of the book, leading to mention of PPEs (with a different acronym) face masks, the search for a vaccine, and so much more that resonates today.
I'm off to find more Connie Willis books! ( )
  mbmackay | Sep 28, 2020 |
I first read this many years ago, probably within a year of its release. I remember a lot of details of the story, but had forgotten some of the over-arching aspects. It is, as with many of Willis' books, a difficult read for me, because I bounce quite hard off their characters.

I do really like Willis' time travel books, but they come in two flavours that make them a sometimes read rather than a comfort read. The first is depressing, the second is farce. This is one of the former -- the title itself is somewhat a give away on that.

It is interesting to have reread it while the world is in a state of pandemic. There are aspects which are not at all surprising with my new found knowledge of human behaviour. And it reminds me again how perceptive Willis is about the psychology of humans, and their love for bureaucracy. ( )
1 vote fred_mouse | Aug 9, 2020 |
This book didn't end the way I thought it would. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |

Törnqvist, EvastinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Son, TomTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vanderstelt, JerryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, Jamie S. WarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And lest things which should be remembered perish with time and vanish from the memory of those who are to come after us, I, seeing so many evils and the whole world, as it were, placed within the grasp of the Evil One, being myself as if among the dead, I, waiting for death, have put into writing all the things that I have witnessed.
    And, lest the writing should perish with the writer and the work fail with the laborer, I leave parchment to continue this work, if perchance any man and any of the race of Adam escape this pestilence and carry on the work which I have begun . . . " Brother John Clyn, 1349
To Laura and Cordelia - my Kivrins
Mr. Dunworthy opened the door to the laboratory and his spectacles promptly steamed up.
I'm in a lot of trouble, Mr. Dunworthy. I don't know where I am, and I can't speak the language. Something's gone wrong with the interpreter. I can understand some of what the contemps say, but they can't understand me at all. And that's not the worst of it. I've caught some sort of disease. I don't know what it is.

In the mid-21st century, scientists have discovered how to travel back in history in order to conduct research on the past. Kivrin Engle, a young history student at Oxford University, decides to go back to the year 1320 in England. She thinks she has thoroughly prepared for a brief stay by studying the language and customs of the time. But the project takes a frightening turn when Kivrin arrives in the past delirious with fever. When she recovers, she's facing many dangers -- chief among them the fact that she can't recall the rendezvous point for her return. Meanwhile, back in Oxford in the 21st century, a mysterious virus is causing a deadly epidemic. Will Kivrin be marooned in the past? Will her colleagues at Oxford figure out what went wrong, and survive long enough to rescue her?
Primary sources
Researched by time-travelling
Brave historians
(pickupsticks)
A time traveler’s screwed
because she never just asks,
“Hey, what year is it?”
(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,630,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible