Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

Doomsday Book (original 1992; edition 1993)

by Connie Willis

5,396247806 (4.12)1 / 649
Member:gambistics
Title:Doomsday Book
Authors:Connie Willis
Info:Spectra (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Rating:*****

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (1992)

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (amberwitch, Othemts, Patangel)
    amberwitch: A much lighter story set in the same universe.
    Othemts: To Say Nothing of the Dog is a more light-hearted time travel adventure which is sort of a sequel to Doomsday Book. Both are excellent, enjoyable novels.
    Blackout by Connie Willis (bell7, loriephillips)
    bell7: Some characters return in this story, set in 1944 England, and involving similar themes of how people react in a crisis.
    Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (labfs39)
    Eifelheim by Michael Flynn (Ape)
    Ape: Far from identical stories, but both are sci-fi takes on the black death (Eifelheim: Aliens, Doomsday Book: Time Travel.) There are numerous similarities, and I think if you like one the other might be worth looking into.
    The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein (Kichererbse)
    The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century by Ian Mortimer (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: A non-fiction book about everyday life in C14th England, written as though you the reader are there. Kivrin would have found this essential reading to prepare for her journey into the past.
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (Kichererbse)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: Both amazing books featuring dangerous flu like viruses and how people cope in emergency situations
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (JGolomb)
    The Annals of Ireland by Friar John Clyn (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: The Annals of Ireland was referenced and quoted a few times in Doomsday Book
    Company of Liars by Karen Maitland (Othemts)
    The Plague by Albert Camus (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books that depict how communities deal with plagues.
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: This is another book that really brings a period of history to life around you.
    The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (JGolomb)
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (cmbohn)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (labrick)

English (243)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  All languages (247)
Willis tells a wonderful time-travel story that is full of brutal details of people living/dying during the Plague years. One does get a bit tired of no one ever being where they're supposed to be or when they're supposed to be there. But overall would rate this an excellent read and one to be recommended. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
great time travel book to one of the darkest periods in history---the Black Plague ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
The year is 2054 and time travel is now possible; however, accomplished only under strict temporal laws. Graduate historian student Kivrin Engle, specializing in medieval history, convinces her professor, Dr. James Dunworthy, to send her to a community near Oxford, England in 1320. Dr. Dunworthy is reluctant because no one had yet traveled that far back in time. Kivrin is to spend a couple of weeks in the past and then return to the drop zone where she will be returned to the future. Although some time errors in transport are built in and expected to minimize time paradoxes, no one anticipates a 28 year discrepancy. Kivrin lands in 1348, which is when the Black Death, reached the English shore. Although immunized against most diseases common in the Medieval period, she succumbs to influenza-like disease shortly after her arrival. Concurrently, in the future England, an epidemic begins within Oxford, resulting in a quarantine of its residents while the disease can be identified and treated. While Kivrin is lost in time, Dr. Dunsworthy must battle an academic bureaucracy and a disease outbreak to rescue Kivrin.

Connie Willis, author of The Doomsday Book, won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards for this novel. Much research was evident in Ms. Willis's portrayal of medieval life, the role of women and the Black Death, a pandemic which killed greater than a third of Europe's population in a two year period. This was a book which spent many years only my "Want to Read" list. My only regret is that I took so long to pick it up. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |
Good time-travel tale about the Black Death in England, but it easily could have been pared down some from its 600 page length. ( )
  CharlesHornaday | Jan 18, 2016 |
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. It was for a book club so I knew little about the author or the story line when I picked it up. It turned out the be a wonderful read. It was full of suspense and the characters were well worked out and easily liked (or not liked, depending on the character). It was thought provoking but easy to read with smooth transitions. Great book. Hard to put down. ( )
  UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |

Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Son, TomTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vanderstelt, JerryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, Jamie S. WarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And lest things which should be remembered perish with time and vanish from the memory of those who are to come after us, I, seeing so many evils and the whole world, as it were, placed within the grasp of the Evil One, being myself as if among the dead, I, waiting for death, have put into writing all the things that I have witnessed.
    And, lest the writing should perish with the writer and the work fail with the laborer, I leave parchment to continue this work, if perchance any man and any of the race of Adam escape this pestilence and carry on the work which I have begun . . . "
                                                                Brother John Clyn,
To Laura and Cordelia - my Kivrins
Mr. Dunworthy opened the door to the laboratory and his spectacles promptly steamed up.
I'm in a lot of trouble, Mr. Dunworthy. I don't know where I am, and I can't speak the language. Something's gone wrong with the interpreter. I can understand some of what the contemps say, but they can't understand me at all. And that's not the worst of it. I've caught some sort of disease. I don't know what it is.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553562738, Mass Market Paperback)

Connie Willis labored five years on this story of a history student in 2048 who is transported to an English village in the 14th century. The student arrives mistakenly on the eve of the onset of the Black Plague. Her dealings with a family of "contemps" in 1348 and with her historian cohorts lead to complications as the book unfolds into a surprisingly dark, deep conclusion. The book, which won Hugo and Nebula Awards, draws upon Willis' understanding of the universalities of human nature to explore the ageless issues of evil, suffering and the indomitable will of the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:05 -0400)

A grim story of a 21st century academic marooned in a 14th century English village being ravaged by the Black Death. Willis' story is the greatest post-modern time travel story of them all, a novel that combines a genre work with all the required components and a tour de force piece of storytelling.… (more)

299 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,038,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible