The Dream Thief by Shana Abé

The Dream Thief

by Shana Abé

English (20)  French (1)  All languages (21)
I loved the hero in this one. Zane was perfect: started as a bad boy and selfish (which fitted with his personna in The Smoke Thief), but when he came to care for the heroine he was super protective, tender, sweet, seductive and caring. Couldn't find a fault with him:) And if I didn't love him enough, the ending assured that I did!Zane and Amalia are searching for the Draumr diamond: a stone that has magical abilities where the drakon are concerned. Lia has been having some very terrifying dreams for years; dreams that her family is destroyed by the man she loves. The source of all evil, is the Draumr. Zane has been asked by the drakon, to bring them the diamond, for a hefty price. Lia plans to get to it before he does and realizes its power. As they get nearer to the diamond, their attraction gets stronger and stronger, until they can't deny it any longer. However, there can't be any future for the two of them, since Lia's family will never accept a mere mortal as her husband. Their heartache, passion and love was so vibrant for me, I almost cried for them. Great couple with great chemistry. I just couldn't get enough of them. If I have one tiny-miny complain, is that the romance took the backseat in the first half, as opposed to the adventure. But other than that, it was great. And did I already say I loved Zane?I'm not sure whether I want to go on with the rest of the series however. Reviews for the next one are not so good it seems. Decisions, decisions... ( )
  faniP | Aug 24, 2012 |
Dies ist das 2. Buch in der Reihe und auch dieses Buch hat mir sehr gut gefallen, obwohl ich das Ende etwas merkwürdig fand. Ausserdem waren einige Szenen in dem Buch nicht ausreichend erklärt und nur angedeutet. Trotz allem ein sehr unterhaltsames Buch ( )
  drachenbraut23 | Feb 22, 2011 |
ok, so what happens with me quite often when I read a series back to back is I get distracted. Like certain things I've heard already and don't need to hear again, etc. I know this about myself and should not read the next in line in a series without a break. So, what did I do? I read the second book in a series right after reading the first one.I'm giving this 5 stars because it deserves it, but I felt more like 4 stars. Zane is great. Rough around the edges. From the street urchin he was, he certainly grew up to be quite the guy. Lia was great too. Interesting to see her character develop. My problem with the H/h was I continuously compared them to the characters in the previous book and I think Christoff and Rue had more depth to their characters. ok, I'll stop bitchin'. Truly, this is a great read and I recommend it. ( )
  rainrunner | Feb 15, 2011 |
Very solid book 2. Excellent series. ( )
  SLHobbs | Mar 11, 2010 |
This is book two in the Drakon Series by Shana Abe' that started with "The Smoke Thief". I actually liked this book quite a bit better than the first one. It helped that I knew to expect a story that was more of a romance than a fantasy.

This book follow's Rue's daughter, Lia, and Rue's ex-assistant thief, Zane. In this book Rue hires Zane to go and retrieve the Draumr, a dangerous diamond that can control drakon. Little does Rue know her daughter Lia has been hearing Draumr's song her whole life and has also been dreaming of Zane. Shortly after taking off on his quest Zane is joined by Lia who has abandoned her boarding school in her own search for the diamond. They are uneasy partners through the wilderness and two questions must be answered; will they find the diamond and when they do what will Zane do with it?

I liked this book much better than the first one. Zane is a much more like-able lead man; he has that "I am tough" thing going on with a good dash of vulnerability. He is not so overly alpha like a lot of the romance leads are. Lia is also an interesting character; she has interesting magical abilities and a toughness that comes and goes.

This book is more of an adventure, a quest, than "The Smoke Thief" was. There is less intrigue and more drudging through the wilderness; which I actually enjoyed. The intrigue is still there, the romance is definitely still there. Overall this is a fantasy romance. The characters spend of a lot of time thinking about each other and dreaming about one another. There is some explicit sex, but it is tastefully done.

Overall this was a sweet story and a pleasant read. I thought both the plot and the characters were more enjoyable than the last book. If there is one thing Abe' does well it is sensual writing. Everything in her books is sensual from the description of a room, to the description of a fight, to the sensual love scenes. Everything is saturated in silky golden colors, or dripping in diamonds, the wind caresses, and Lia's hair tumbles in gentle waves of gold. Abe's writing is a bit over the top in sensuality but it is still a pleasure to read. It's a bit like a cupcake with heaping loads of frosting, sprinkles, sugar, and a cherry on top. It is something I read once in a while and enjoy but I don't think I would like to read it all the time. Abe' is very creative in her descriptions and really makes the surroundings in her stories come alive to all of your senses.

I liked that this was more of a fantasy than the first book. So far it looks like there are two more books coming up for this series "The Dragon Queen" and "Treasure Keeper". I will probably read them both...eventually. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 27, 2010 |
For beautiful, amazing Stacey, who had the strength to pull me through. I love my sister.

Shauna Summers, Annelise Robey, and Andrea Cirillo: boundless gratitude for your patience and kindness. It made a difference.

Mom and Dad, Ted and Jen, Bob, Mandy, all the kids, the rabbits and the crazy dog: you make my life better. Thanks
Once there were more of us.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553588052, Mass Market Paperback)

In the remote hills of northern England lives a powerful clan with a centuries-old secret. They are the drákon, shape-shifters who possess the ability to Turn—changing from human to smoke to dragon. And from the very stones of the earth, they hear hypnotic songs of beauty and wonder. But there is one stone they fear....

Buried deep within the bowels of the Carpathian Mountains lies the legendary dreaming diamond known as Draumr, the only gem with the power to enslave the drákon. Since childhood, Lady Amalia Langford, daughter of the clan’s Alpha, has heard its haunting ballad but kept it secret, along with another rare Gift....

Lia can hear the future, much in the way she hears the call of Draumr. And in that future, she realizes that the diamond—along with the fate of the drákon—rests in the hands of a human man, one who straddles two worlds.

Ruthlessly clever, Zane has risen through London’s criminal underworld to become its ruler. Once a street urchin saved by Lia’s mother, Zane is also privy to the secrets of the clan—and is the only human they trust to bring them Draumr. But he does nothing selflessly.

Zane’s hunt for the gem takes him to Hungary, where he is shocked to encounter a bold, beautiful young noblewoman: Lia. She has broken every rule of the drákon to join him, driven by the urgent song of Draumr—and her visions of Zane. In one future, he is her ally. In another, her overlord. In both, he is her lover. Now, to protect her tribe, Lia must tie her fate to Zane’s, to the one man capable of stealing her future—and destroying her heart....

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:25 -0400)

In eighteenth-century England, Lia, the daughter of the leader of the drakon tribe whose members can transform from human to dragon, uses her own talents to locate a powerful diamond, a gem that could allow a human to control the drakon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,325,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible