Claymore, Volume 9: The Deep Abyss Of…

Claymore, Volume 9: The Deep Abyss Of Purgatory

by Norihiro Yagi

Series: Claymore (9)

This is the ninth volume in the Claymore series. This has been a consistently well done fantasy manga series. I have really enjoyed the world, the characters, and the plot. There is a lot of action and some more story development in this installment.

This book continues the fight between Clare, Galatea and the witch Riful’s evil Yoma Dauf. Jean is the only one strong enough to pierce Dauf’s hide, so Galatea buys time while Clare rescues Jean from the dungeon. While they are unable to defeat Dauf or Riful, they do get some information from Riful on Isley of the North. Then Clare along with about half of the Claymore organization are sent North to face off with the Awakened Beings there. In the North Clare is reunited with Deneve, Helen, and Miria.

There are a ton of very well drawn and done action scenes in this book. Clare is using to learn her quick sword technique and Jean has a slightly disturbing fighting technique that involves twisting her arm over and over again.

We are introduced to Riful, who appears to be a little girl but is much more terrifying than that in reality. We also are reunited with the Claymores we meet in the Slashers storyline: Deneve, Helen, and Miria.

The second part of the book basically sets up everything for a large battle in the north. The Claymore are put on teams and are preparing to face off with a whole group of Awakened Beings.

Overall this was another excellent installment in this series. There are some new plot developments, as well as some awesome fighting scenes. The illustration continues to be top notch. I would definitely recommend this to manga fans who love dark fantasy. I can’t wait to see what happens in volume 10. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 3, 2014 |
I was unsure about starting this series at first. The first volume was interesting enough but it wasn't phenomenal. But I've come to realize with these manga series that it sometimes takes a few volumes to really engross you in the story. So it was with this series and I'm glad I read past the second volume because it took a huge turn for the better. The deep plotline emerged fairly quickly but in pieces so as to keep you wondering and coming back for more, and the artwork seemed to get better. After volume two or three I was either used to the style or it really did get better. And by volume 10 I'm loving it. The story has gone deeper. It's not just a story about action but of comradeship and betrayal and persistence and tragedy. Yagi had me at the sword fighting and demons but now I'm hooked into the story and I don't think it's going to let me go until it's finished. I'm certainly not complaining; I'm enjoying the series immensely. Recommended for fantasy and/or graphic novel fans. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 12, 2013 |

Claymores Clare, Galatea, and Jean battle the Awakened Beings that are holding them captive and learn their captors' true motive, turning the Claymores into Awakeneds and forcing them to join in a gathering of Yoma.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,647,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible