Lulu Meets God and Doubts Him by Danielle…

Lulu Meets God and Doubts Him

by Danielle Ganek

2.5 stars. Interesting idea, but 100 pages longer than it needed to be. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
Interesting concept, but poorly written and formulaic...like a low-rent version of The Devil Wears Prada. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, I was sucked in and there's not really anything that bothered me about it, but I can't give it more than 3 stars.

This is straight up chick lit, set in the art world of New York. I didn't really realize that at first, but by that time I was in it and having a pretty good time. It does get into the whole subject of creativity and doing something with your life vs holding yourself back (in a pretty light way) and that's always good for something. ( )
  bongo_x | Apr 6, 2013 |
I pulled this book off the library shelf because of its fetching title, and I checked it out when I read it was all about the NYC art scene which I used to be fascinated by years ago. Although a bit chick lit, I really enjoyed the story and loved the heroine Mia. She felt very real, and even though she was jaded by her time as a gallery girl there was a real vulnerability and honesty about her which was so appealing. The other characters were both fun and annoying as they should be, and I loved this little glimpse into the world of contemporary art collecting and the craziness that it can entail.
  celiafrances | Nov 29, 2011 |
I really enjoyed this book. i laughed a lot (even when i problably shouldn't have!). but i really got the feel for the art scene in NYC. This would make a good film. Although a bit predictable well worth the read. i heard someone say they thought the book was sassy....and that hit the nail on the head for me. a gerat opportunity for some up and coming actors to have a lot of fun!! ( )
  szferris | Mar 16, 2008 |

A gallery girl’s cannily observed and whimsically acerbic romp through the glamorous Chelsea art scene

When figurative painter Jeffrey Finelli is run over by a cab in front of the Simon Pryce Gallery on the night of his first opening, the art world falls all over itself for a piece of the instantly in-demand work by the late "emerging artist." At the center of the show is an enormous painting called Lulu Meets God and Doubts Him that becomes the object of most desire. As the artist philosophically muses before meeting his untimely end, "It represents the creative endeavor."

After Finelli’s death, the gallery receptionist, aspiring artist and protagonist Mia McMurray, finds herself at the center of the art world’s most sensational story. For suddenly everyone wants Lulu. Mia, in her clever, clear-headed voice tells the ensuing tale, the details of which she finds endlessly amusing and unavoidably alluring. While she watches a Birkin-toting wannabe collector, a well-muscled Irish artist, a real estate baron, and niece/muse of the artist, Lulu Finelli, duke it out over the oversized piece, Mia, à la Holly Golightly, finds her own creative outlet and artistic identity, not to mention love.

As The Devil Wears Prada demystified the world of high fashion, Danielle Ganek’s delightfully funny and insightful first novel paints the oddly captivating New York City art scene as it exists today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:56 -0400)

In the aftermath of an emerging artist's untimely death on the night of his first opening, gallery receptionist and aspiring artist Mia McMurray witnesses a fierce competition for possession of the late artist's most-coveted painting.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible