Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak the Mighty (1993)

by Rodman Philbrick

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

By the same author of, "The Last Book in the Universe"...it's a good young adult novel. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Max is an outcast. He is big, really big, and tall, too. He lives with his grandparents, is bad at school and doesn't have any friends, until he meets Freak (Kevin) who just moved in a couple of houses down. Kevin is small, really small. With a disease where his body does not grow as fast as his insides, he struggles to get around, but he is brilliant. When Max and Kevin team up, they become Freak the Mighty. They go on quests and explore the neighborhood. Kevin helps Max in school and Max makes Kevin feel like a normal kid. ( )
  smheatherly2 | Jul 1, 2014 |
This is Max; he's huge and he lives with his grandparents. When he is in eigth grade he is the size of a grown man. His size and a few other details make him sort of an outlier. But he soon he becomes friendswith another outlier named Kevin, who Max lovingly calls "Freak." Freak is tiny and is insanely smart. Soon the two boys could not be more different, but they become close friends. Freak tries to teach Max about robotics and history, then Max just sort of smiles and nods like he understands. I dont really care for this book because the boys just goes on about their friendship and the challenges that they overcome as friends. ( )
  sydney.b1 | May 20, 2014 |
This was great book. I liked this book, because of the contrast between the main characters, Max, the enormous and absent minded main character, and Freak, the other main character, who is extremely intelligent, and very tiny. I liked that although these characters were so different they worked so well together, and were great friends. This is extremely relatable for the readers, because some times our best friends are just the opposite of us. I also like this book, because the author allowed for one of the main characters weakness be a strength of the other. This allowed for these characters to be a dynamic duo and face the bullies with strength and intelligence.

The main message of this story was that even though people may be different in appearance and abilities you could still have commonalities and become great friends, so it is important not to judge others. ( )
  CassandraQuigley | May 5, 2014 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,277,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible