Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak the Mighty (1993)

by Rodman Philbrick

Recently added byprivate library, kmurph30, skadooshness, flashpowers, GodlyDonut, davidgn, rwford513
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

I liked this book the most because of the relationship between the two main characters. Independently both characters had trouble fitting in but together they balanced each other out. They learned to work as a team to do things. On page 35 Max says, “Now I’m running at a full gallop, weaving through the crowd, and I don’t even need to look back, all I have to do is follow the way Freak is kicking his feet, steering me.” Both characters need each other.
I also liked this book because of the foreshadowing of the events with Max’s father. In the beginning of the book his father is said to be in prison for life but on page 70 Iggy says, “Life ain’t life, how many times I tell you that?” This intrigued me to continue reading to find out if his father would eventually show up and what he would do.
I think that the main idea for this story is friendship and teamwork. Even in the end of the story when Max is kidnaped, Kevin (aka “Freak”) comes to save him and they work together to escape. The book is an example of how important friendship is. ( )
  kmurph30 | Oct 11, 2015 |
Listened to the audiobook, which is one of the most poorly done audiobooks since Uglies, but the story is excellent. EXCELLENT. Brawny learning disabled student physically weak genius = Freak the Mighty. Required reading for our 6th graders, and I can see why. LOVED it. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I'm not sure that the adults around Max really thought he would be like his father, but it is amazing what kids pick up on. I loved watching the two boys, Max and Kevin, look out for each other and help each other become more. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 2, 2015 |
Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick; from prior to LT; (5*)

I loved this Y/A book about a boy, large for his age but slow, and a boy, small for his age, physically handicapped & ill with Morquio syndrome but extremely bright & imaginative.
I loved how the they met, slowly became friends and eventually became 'one'.
Max and Kevin, to become Mighty & Freak, became friends over the book & reading of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
This is a heartwarming book with a bit of the coming of age. It is happy and yet sad at the same time. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The ending will grab you by your heartstrings. It did mine. ( )
  rainpebble | Jul 22, 2015 |
In my opinion, Freak the Mighty was an interesting book. I liked the plot of the story. It narrated the adventures of Kevin the “Freak” and Max, the “Mighty”. It follows their journey during the summer they met, the school year, and the summer after. It had twists and turns that I didn’t expect. For example, I didn’t expect Max’s dad, Killer Kane, to break into his house and kidnap Max. I also didn’t expect Loretta Lee to help Max instead of Killer Kane. I definitely didn’t expect Kevin to die at the end of the book. I also liked the character development of Freak and Mighty as the story progressed. Initially, Kevin and Max were two different entities, but slowly became one person, Freak the Mighty. They were no longer picked on, and became great friends. Finally, I liked the big idea of the story, which was hope. We didn’t find out until the end that Kevin thinking he was getting bionic body parts was a tall tale, but that glimmer of hope helped these two characters grow throughout the book. Max switched from a disabled learning classroom environment to an accelerated level class. Kevin gained socialization skills. Even though he died, I believe that Max will continue to write down the adventures he takes. ( )
  AliciaTrotman | May 11, 2015 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,849,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible