Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak the Mighty (1993)

by Rodman Philbrick

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick; from prior to LT; (5*)

I loved this Y/A book about a boy, large for his age but slow, and a boy, small for his age, physically handicapped & ill with Morquio syndrome but extremely bright & imaginative.
I loved how the they met, slowly became friends and eventually became 'one'.
Max and Kevin, to become Mighty & Freak, became friends over the book & reading of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
This is a heartwarming book with a bit of the coming of age. It is happy and yet sad at the same time. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The ending will grab you by your heartstrings. It did mine.
  rainpebble | Jul 22, 2015 |
In my opinion, Freak the Mighty was an interesting book. I liked the plot of the story. It narrated the adventures of Kevin the “Freak” and Max, the “Mighty”. It follows their journey during the summer they met, the school year, and the summer after. It had twists and turns that I didn’t expect. For example, I didn’t expect Max’s dad, Killer Kane, to break into his house and kidnap Max. I also didn’t expect Loretta Lee to help Max instead of Killer Kane. I definitely didn’t expect Kevin to die at the end of the book. I also liked the character development of Freak and Mighty as the story progressed. Initially, Kevin and Max were two different entities, but slowly became one person, Freak the Mighty. They were no longer picked on, and became great friends. Finally, I liked the big idea of the story, which was hope. We didn’t find out until the end that Kevin thinking he was getting bionic body parts was a tall tale, but that glimmer of hope helped these two characters grow throughout the book. Max switched from a disabled learning classroom environment to an accelerated level class. Kevin gained socialization skills. Even though he died, I believe that Max will continue to write down the adventures he takes. ( )
  AliciaTrotman | May 11, 2015 |
Absolutely love this book. This heart wrenching novel teaches the beautiful meaning of true friendship. These two boys, both feeling left out and alone, become the best of friends and go on many adventures together. Freak, the nickname of one of the boys, is handicapped, but that doesn't stop Max, the other boy, from being his friend. When freak dies from his disease, he leaves Max a journal to write all of their adventures in. This book would be perfect for 7th and 8th graders. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Apr 29, 2015 |
4.5 stars. I read this aloud to my son, who turned 15 during the weeks it took us. It's very short, really, but I thought it would be a good book to share, and it was. Thought-provoking, often funny, worth savoring. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion, Freak the Mighty was an amazing book. One of the reasons why I liked this book so much was for its big idea, which was hope (among other themes). This story provided hope for its readers because one of the main characters, Mighty was way too big to be considered normal for his age. And the other main character, Freak, was way too small to be considered normal also. Kids their age in their neighborhood and at school would make fun of them, and thought they were too weird to hangout with. Freak the Mighty both provide hope because the story entails all of their fun adventures they took, no matter how people looked at them. They were able to do anything that a “normal” kid would do, and lived normal lives just like any other eighth grader would. These events are also believable because children in the eighth grade can be rude sometimes to kids that don’t seem normal, like Freak and Mighty, and instead of being the “bigger person” and accept those students who don’t exactly fit in, for who they are, they just choose to make fun of them and ignore them. In addition, I liked the way the book was written, in the sense that you can feel how the characters are feeling. For example, when Mighty was talking about Freak and said, “He believed you,” I say. “You said you could give him a new body and he believed you”. The reader could really feel how hurt he was when reading this line. ( )
  KellieMcFadzen | Apr 13, 2015 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,387,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible