Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak The Mighty (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Rodman Philbrick

Member:brandy124
Title:Freak The Mighty
Authors:Rodman Philbrick
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (1993)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

Summery:

This book focuses on two characters. A boy who has several learning disabilities and a boy who is very intelligent, but suffers from physical disabilities and wears leg braces. These two completely different boys end up forming a unique and unbreakable bond. They both share experiences dealing with bullies. They bond together to conquer several obstacles throughout the book.

Personal Reaction:

I absolutely love this story. It pulls at the heart strings and makes you feel good. This book focuses on issues of low self-esteem issues, disabilities, and bullying. This book is a wonderful example of perseverance.

Classroom Extension:

1.Have students create their own dictionary as Freak did. Have create their own meanings to different words.
2. Hold a group discussion of bullying. Have students walk up to another student and describe five positive things about them.
3. Create a journal activity where students are to create an adventure that they could go on with a friend. Have them describe how they conquered a problem during the adventure. ( )
  cwarren0123 | Oct 26, 2016 |
This is the first book that my son Matt is reading in 7th grade English. My older son loved it when he read it, so I decided to give it a quick listen. I loved the friendship that developed between Max and Kevin, two boys who don't fit in. Max's father is in prison for killing his mother, and Kevin is trapped in a body that is much too small for his oversized mind. Together, however, they become Freak the Mighty bringing out the best in each other, even when the odds are stacked against them. ( )
  porch_reader | Sep 3, 2016 |
Very good - quick read. Sweet story. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
4.5 stars. I read this aloud to my son, who turned 15 during the weeks it took us. It's very short, really, but I thought it would be a good book to share, and it was. Thought-provoking, often funny, worth savoring. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This chapter book is suitable as a read aloud for students in grades 4 & 5. Because of its sensitive subjects- disabilities, murder, prison and death, it is not recommended for younger ages. Reading of the text with 4 & 5th graders would be best done as a read aloud. Students engage in the book because of the depth of the characters and the connections that students make with them. The adventures the two characters face keep students on the edge of their seats while being read to. The rich language and its use of context clues by the author make it an excellent book for expanding student vocabulary.
  BethWeber | Feb 7, 2016 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,662,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible