Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak The Mighty (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Rodman Philbrick

Member:brandy124
Title:Freak The Mighty
Authors:Rodman Philbrick
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (1993)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

This was a beautiful and sad story of friendship. Very enjoyable and good for middle-high schoolers. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 18, 2014 |
(6.2)
  mshampson | Nov 30, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons. First, I thought the message and character development of this story were very strong. I think the main idea was to demonstrate that friendship can triumph any hardships. The two boys, Kevin and Max were very different in the way they appear and the way they think. Through the many challenges that they face, they work together and help each other in times of need. For example, when Max was kidnapped by his father, Kenny was able to use his intelligence to save Max by threatening that his squirt gun was filled with sulfuric acid. Through the strong character development readers are able to see how the boys complete each other with Kenny’s brains and Max’s size.

I also liked how this book broadens the perspectives for readers through the narration. I was able to view how Max and Kenny must have felt, being different from their peers. For example, when Max says, “There’s a place I go inside my head sometimes. It’s cool and dim in there and you float around like a cloud.” By using Max’s point of view, it is clear to readers that because of Max’s hardships he likes to get away from others and go to a place only he can know. Without this point of view, this perspective would not be as clear and one might not understand how it feels to have Max’s brain.

Overall, I think this book had many strong points. The character development and point of view really brought the message to life. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Nov 17, 2014 |
I liked this book but it was a little to sad for me. The characters are my favorite part of the book. The author does a good job letting the reader know what they look like and what kind of person they are. Kevin, also called Freak, has a severely handicapped body and a genius brain, while Max is learning-disabled and a giant for his age. Max carries Kevin around on his shoulders, giving him physical mobility. This is how they create “Freak the Mighty” by having these two combined. The plot is sad but also happy. Society is mean to these children because of their appearances and intelligences. Society has called Max “Dumb” and “slow” is whole life. The relationship were awesome even though society was not and Max even says, “I never had a brain till freak came along”. Society made him feel this way until he finally found a friend. The writing is descriptive and does a good job letting the reader see the views of Freak and Max. I enjoyed when the author lets us see how Freak really thinks. By showing us the words in his “dictionary” like “Massives” meaning fat heads who assume that television tells the truth. The language is happy, sad, and angry. One of the saddest parts is when they hear that Freak has died. The author does a good job of presenting the death by saying, “I could tell you all the medical terminology,' She says. 'But what finally happened is his heart got to big for his body’’ Makes the reader really see how cruel society can be because of people being different. The big idea is that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover and you shouldn’t be mean to them because of their physical or mental abilities.
  JordanMyers | Nov 5, 2014 |
Freak the mighty is a touching story about two very different boys who become the best of friends. Max is a very large kid for his age and he has difficulty with school and processing things. Then you have Kevin, a boy with a very rare form of dwarfism, who is brilliant. Together they make Freak the Mighty and go on all kinds of adventures. Adventures such as defeating the neighborhood bully, getting through the 8th grade, and saving Max from Killer Kane. This book is a great story that touches your heart. I loved this book for many of reasons. One of them being the point of view the book was written from. Another reason I love this book was for the story, it was exciting and I never wanted to put the book down. Finally, it push us to think about tough situations and what it could be like to be experiencing them.
This book was written in first person from Max’s point of view. Having Max tell the story really lets you become immersed in it. This point of view made you think what Max thought and feel what Max felt. I thought he was the perfect character to be telling the story. I say this because the book ends with Freak asking one thing of Max, to take the blank book he gave him and fill it with all their adventures. He asks Max to do this because it was his plan to do it but he could not, because he is dying. As you read through this exchange you feel what Max does as a friend who is losing his best friend. Then you read the end of the book and you realize that what you have been reading is what Max wrote because his best friend ask him to as a last request. Max even says, “ Now that I have written a book who knows… I may even read a few.” This is why writing from Max’s point of view made the book so special.
The story of this book was so exciting and suspenseful. It kept me guessing and surprised me at almost every turn. You follow Max as he befriends Kevin and learn about how they become Freak the Mighty. They become this on the Fourth of July when Max puts Kevin on his shoulders and they are chased by the neighborhood bully and together they escape him. The reader is also introduced to Max’s crazy father called Killer Kane. As you read, you have to go through Killer Kane’s kidnapping of Max and him being saved by Freak. The most heart felt part of the story is when you find out Kevin, also known as Freak, is dying because he heart is growing to big for his body. This is the part that made the book for me because it takes the reader through what it is like to be a person going through losing someone who means the world to you. The story is filled with conflicts and suspense that keeps the reader on their toes throughout the story.
Finally, this story is great because it really makes you think about all kinds of tough situations and what it would be like to be in them. One tough thing it makes you think about is what it is like to live with a learning disability like Max does. One of the first lines of the story is, “I never had a brain till Freak came along.” This book help open your eyes to what it is like for young students to live and try to do well when it is hard to learn. It also makes you think about death on different kind of levels. You learn that Max’s dad killed his mom when he was very young and also Freak dies at the end too. So it makes one think about murder and kidnapping, but it also teaches about the loss of friends due to things you cannot control. This book also gives you interesting things to think about. For example, “remembering is a great invention of the mind, and if you try hard enough you can remember anything, whether it really happened or not.” This is a great place to stop and think because it is such a good idea.
Freak the Mighty is a great book and at its core it is about friendship and family. It shows us the two people who are very different can come together to do amazing things because they believe and support each other. After reading Freak the Mighty, the reader will have a better understanding of loss and the importance of relationships. ( )
  AlexWyatt | Oct 27, 2014 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible