Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak The Mighty (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Rodman Philbrick

1,781None3,926 (3.93)48
Member:brandy124
Title:Freak The Mighty
Authors:Rodman Philbrick
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (1993)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

I liked this book because of the theme and the dialog. The theme was about a bond of friendship between two children with special needs. They complimented each other and made each other better. I loved the sulky preteen dialogue of Maxwell’s and that he called his grandparents Grim and Gram. I like how he referred to his room in the basement as Down Under. I found it interesting that the book came pretty close to using swear words, kind of pre swear words like butthead. I loved that Kevin used his imagination to help deal with his situation and too thoroughly enjoy his short life. I liked how Kevin used so many big words and had a way of breaking down their meaning so that kids could understand them. For a book with such serious content, it was written in a very comical way that made it hard to put down. The short paragraphs and short chapters make it a very easy book to read. ( )
  Madams21 | Apr 14, 2014 |
I loved this chapter book! The first reason I adored this book was for its episodic plot. Throughout the story, issues would present themselves and as the rising action continued to the climax of that issue, there was another problem introduced into the story that kept me reading on in anticipation for the next problem to be solved. For example, when Max and Freak went to see fireworks on the Fourth of July, the issue was that unfavorable people may show up and Max’s grandparents were worried that they would get involved with those people. As Max and Freak were walking to the firework show, they ran upon the group of kids that they were trying to avoid and this issue led into Max and Freak being chased by that group after the fireworks were over. This issue led into the next problem of Max’s father being released from prison, which presented a number of other issues that helped in the progression of the story’s plot as well. Another reason I liked this book is for its opposing main characters. Max, the first main character, is tall, husky and absent minded, whereas Freak, the other main character, is extremely small, underweight, and incredibly intelligent and driven. I liked this pairing because it was interesting to see how two people, although so different, worked so well together. For example, Freak would sit on Max’s shoulders and direct him where to go by pulling on certain spots of Max’s hair on his head. This strategy is what allowed the two to escape danger throughout the book such as maneuvering their way through a crowd to get away from the group of unfavorable children. Overall, there were two main ideas I pulled out of this book. First, although you may tend to become friends with people like you, it is possible that the best of friends will come in a form that is least like you, therefore you should never judge people based off of how they look. The second big idea I got from this book was to live life to the fullest because you never know how long you have, which was dreadfully short for Freak. ( )
  mspisa1 | Mar 31, 2014 |
Recommended by Pasindu, Mama's little friend. Well done. Rough feeling told by a rough character. Very touching. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This was a great story. Many of the books that I read come from hosting a middle school book club and are often boring or overly sad. This had a death in it, most of them do, but it was handled in an interesting way. Very well written, funny and thought provoking. ( )
  geniemagik | Dec 5, 2013 |
The big idea of this book is to show the power of friendship and how two friends can make each other feel whole. I liked this book for two reasons. First, I loved the two main characters. Kevin is so funny and smart and he is a perfect counterpart to Maxwell, who feels stupid but has the strength of two men. Together, they felt invincible and brought the best out of each other. Being together helped them each gain the self confidence they needed on their own. Secondly, this book broadens readers' views about people with disabilities. The heroes of the story are two people who each have a disability. They were able to accomplish great things together despite their disabilities and readers can connect with the emotions they felt and the issues they dealt with. This gives readers a stronger connection to people with disabilities and hopefully helps them to realize that they aren't so different from everyone else after all. ( )
  jdobso4 | Nov 26, 2013 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible