Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak The Mighty (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Rodman Philbrick

Title:Freak The Mighty
Authors:Rodman Philbrick
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:realistic fiction

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (1993)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

This is the first book that my son Matt is reading in 7th grade English. My older son loved it when he read it, so I decided to give it a quick listen. I loved the friendship that developed between Max and Kevin, two boys who don't fit in. Max's father is in prison for killing his mother, and Kevin is trapped in a body that is much too small for his oversized mind. Together, however, they become Freak the Mighty bringing out the best in each other, even when the odds are stacked against them. ( )
  porch_reader | Sep 3, 2016 |
Very good - quick read. Sweet story. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
4.5 stars. I read this aloud to my son, who turned 15 during the weeks it took us. It's very short, really, but I thought it would be a good book to share, and it was. Thought-provoking, often funny, worth savoring. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This chapter book is suitable as a read aloud for students in grades 4 & 5. Because of its sensitive subjects- disabilities, murder, prison and death, it is not recommended for younger ages. Reading of the text with 4 & 5th graders would be best done as a read aloud. Students engage in the book because of the depth of the characters and the connections that students make with them. The adventures the two characters face keep students on the edge of their seats while being read to. The rich language and its use of context clues by the author make it an excellent book for expanding student vocabulary.
  BethWeber | Feb 7, 2016 |
Everything changes for Maxwell Kane the summer before his 8th grade year when Freak moves in down the street.

Max, who is in the learning disabled class, describes himself as a Butthead who doesn’t have a Brain. Max is a big kid who does his speaking with his fists and his feet. It doesn’t help that he looks like his father, Kenny “Killer” Kane. Since Maxwell’s mother is dead and his father is in jail, he lives in the basement with his Grim and his Gram.

Max is bored, hanging out in his back yard one summer day, when he notices a moving van parked down the street. Soon after, he sees a “weird-looking little dude” about two feet tall with a twisted body, waving his crutches around and yelling at the movers. Max soon discovers that while the boy’s body is crippled his brain is not. He is a genius! When the new kid spots Max, he demands that he identify himself and goes on to shoot him with his crutch saying “die, earthling, die!” So while it doesn’t look like the start of a beautiful friendship, in no time the two are inseparable.

With Kevin riding on Max’s shoulders, the two start having adventures together as Freak the Mighty. They go on a quest to rescue fair maidens and slay dragons. It turns out to be a really cool summer. But not all fairy tales have happy endings.
  MrsBarbarino | Jan 24, 2016 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,695,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible