Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak The Mighty (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Rodman Philbrick

Member:brandy124
Title:Freak The Mighty
Authors:Rodman Philbrick
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (1993)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

I didn’t care much for Freak The Mighty. I felt pretty bored reading the book during any part where Max was by himself. I don’t think there was much action anytime Max was by himself, it was always just him and his thoughts. During the first part of the book he just sat in the basement, thinking about his time at daycare. I also thought the way the words were written was a little difficult to read, even though the author made it sound like it was really Max that was writing. For example, “Maybe it was them crutches kept me from lashing out at him” was a little difficult to read. One thing that I did like about this book was the bond that was formed between Max and Brian. I really enjoyed how both of them really needed each other and became such good friends. Max had a terrible time in school but Brian was brilliant, and helped him study. Brian was unable to walk very well by himself so Max carried him everywhere. It was a true friendship and Brian really helped Max with so much! Not only did Brian help Max study but he also saved his life. I thought this was a wonderful surprise in the book to have such a small, crippled boy as a hero. The message of this book is that friendship is really important, and that you can do a lot more than you think. ( )
  HeatherBallard | Oct 20, 2014 |
Summary: Max, a large and mean boy, has been feared of for a long time because he is bigger than all of the other kids and nobody would talk to him. Kevin (“Freak”), an abnormally small and smart boy, moved to town and befriended Max. Together they decided they would be able to do incredible things for the town and formed “Freak the Mighty”. Freak the Mighty was Freak on top of Max’s shoulders and they went around town on adventures. These two boys grew incredibly close over the year of adventures that they had and they were inseparable. Unfortunately, Freak had to be hospitalized for foreseen reasons and did not pull through.

Review: Philbrick wrote an excellent book that, unfortunately, many young adult readers can relate to. The main message of this story is to not judge a book by it's cover, which readers have most likely heard time and time again and it is a good message to have repeated. Freak moved into town not knowing a soul and he became friends with the one person everybody told him to avoid. Freak is abnormally small because of a disease that he has and is brilliant, while Max is ginormous and dimwitted in the beginning. Freak used a sophisticated language for his age and would break down words for his peers who did not understand. Max on the other hand used words very close to swear words, like butthead, and spoke in sulky, negative tones. These two boys, so different, were able to see past their differences and form a strong bond. ( )
  Kweber8 | Oct 5, 2014 |
By the same author of, "The Last Book in the Universe"...it's a good young adult novel. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Max is an outcast. He is big, really big, and tall, too. He lives with his grandparents, is bad at school and doesn't have any friends, until he meets Freak (Kevin) who just moved in a couple of houses down. Kevin is small, really small. With a disease where his body does not grow as fast as his insides, he struggles to get around, but he is brilliant. When Max and Kevin team up, they become Freak the Mighty. They go on quests and explore the neighborhood. Kevin helps Max in school and Max makes Kevin feel like a normal kid. ( )
  smheatherly2 | Jul 1, 2014 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,332,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible