Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak The Mighty (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Rodman Philbrick

Member:brandy124
Title:Freak The Mighty
Authors:Rodman Philbrick
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (1993)

Recently added byNicoleGinex, Sunrise-CVSD, private library, Ms.Johnson307, manntw13
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

These are wonderful characters who make you care and cry when it ends. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 17, 2015 |
Freak the mighty is about a boy named Max and his friend named Kevin or Freak. Max and Freak first met at daycare. Freak moves away and Max stays there. When both boys are in middle school they see each other again but do not like each other. As time goes by the two become the best of friends. At the Fourth of July party the boys are attacked by a bully named Blade. Freak is on top of Max and guides him to a pond. Freak later tells the kids at school that they are called Freak the Mighty. In the end Freak dies and Max writes a book about their adventures.
I liked this book because I think it shows that friendships can last forever. I think this because Max will always remember Freak as a friend. I found it really sad when Freak died. I liked all the things Freak did for Max for example, Freak made houses turn into castles and pools into swamps. Another thing I liked is that Freak told Max that remembering is an invention of the mind and you can remember anything that you want to. ( )
  JordanN.G1 | Mar 11, 2015 |
This was a beautiful and sad story of friendship. Very enjoyable and good for middle-high schoolers. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 18, 2014 |
(6.2)
  mshampson | Nov 30, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book for a couple of reasons. First, I thought the message and character development of this story were very strong. I think the main idea was to demonstrate that friendship can triumph any hardships. The two boys, Kevin and Max were very different in the way they appear and the way they think. Through the many challenges that they face, they work together and help each other in times of need. For example, when Max was kidnapped by his father, Kenny was able to use his intelligence to save Max by threatening that his squirt gun was filled with sulfuric acid. Through the strong character development readers are able to see how the boys complete each other with Kenny’s brains and Max’s size.

I also liked how this book broadens the perspectives for readers through the narration. I was able to view how Max and Kenny must have felt, being different from their peers. For example, when Max says, “There’s a place I go inside my head sometimes. It’s cool and dim in there and you float around like a cloud.” By using Max’s point of view, it is clear to readers that because of Max’s hardships he likes to get away from others and go to a place only he can know. Without this point of view, this perspective would not be as clear and one might not understand how it feels to have Max’s brain.

Overall, I think this book had many strong points. The character development and point of view really brought the message to life. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Nov 17, 2014 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,300,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible