Freak The Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

Freak The Mighty (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Rodman Philbrick

Member:brandy124
Title:Freak The Mighty
Authors:Rodman Philbrick
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (1993)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

4.5 stars. I read this aloud to my son, who turned 15 during the weeks it took us. It's very short, really, but I thought it would be a good book to share, and it was. Thought-provoking, often funny, worth savoring. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion, Freak the Mighty was an amazing book. One of the reasons why I liked this book so much was for its big idea, which was hope (among other themes). This story provided hope for its readers because one of the main characters, Mighty was way too big to be considered normal for his age. And the other main character, Freak, was way too small to be considered normal also. Kids their age in their neighborhood and at school would make fun of them, and thought they were too weird to hangout with. Freak the Mighty both provide hope because the story entails all of their fun adventures they took, no matter how people looked at them. They were able to do anything that a “normal” kid would do, and lived normal lives just like any other eighth grader would. These events are also believable because children in the eighth grade can be rude sometimes to kids that don’t seem normal, like Freak and Mighty, and instead of being the “bigger person” and accept those students who don’t exactly fit in, for who they are, they just choose to make fun of them and ignore them. In addition, I liked the way the book was written, in the sense that you can feel how the characters are feeling. For example, when Mighty was talking about Freak and said, “He believed you,” I say. “You said you could give him a new body and he believed you”. The reader could really feel how hurt he was when reading this line. ( )
  KellieMcFadzen | Apr 13, 2015 |
I liked the book, "Freak the Mighty." First, I liked how the title really corresponded to the book and the characters embraced how they looked. For example, Kevin's nickname is "Freak," and Max's nickname is "the Mighty" because of how they look, and they happily call themselves Freak the Mighty. Furthermore, I liked how the book of adventures Freak tells Max to write is the story I read. Secondly, I like the bond that forms between the two characters. They go from being complete strangers to becoming best friends. For instance, when Max lifts Freak onto his shoulder because he is too small to see the fireworks. Also, I liked when when Max and Kevin helps the police and Max defeat Max's father. This was an interesting point in the plot because you did not expect Max to get kidnapped. The main idea of the story is to be kind to everyone because you don't know what someone may be going through. ( )
  NicoleGinex | Mar 31, 2015 |
These are wonderful characters who make you care and cry when it ends. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 17, 2015 |
Freak the mighty is about a boy named Max and his friend named Kevin or Freak. Max and Freak first met at daycare. Freak moves away and Max stays there. When both boys are in middle school they see each other again but do not like each other. As time goes by the two become the best of friends. At the Fourth of July party the boys are attacked by a bully named Blade. Freak is on top of Max and guides him to a pond. Freak later tells the kids at school that they are called Freak the Mighty. In the end Freak dies and Max writes a book about their adventures.
I liked this book because I think it shows that friendships can last forever. I think this because Max will always remember Freak as a friend. I found it really sad when Freak died. I liked all the things Freak did for Max for example, Freak made houses turn into castles and pools into swamps. Another thing I liked is that Freak told Max that remembering is an invention of the mind and you can remember anything that you want to. ( )
  JordanN.G1 | Mar 11, 2015 |
To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force. (Made into the film, The Mighty.) * \u201cA wonderful story of triumph over imperfection, shame, and loss.\u201d – School Library Journal, starred review \u201cCompelling…written with energy and…humor.\u201d – The Bulletin for the Center of Children\u2019s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team. An established writer of adult suspense makes a stunning entry into children's literature with this extraordinary novel about two boys--a slow learner too large for his age, and a tiny, crippled genius--who pair up to create on formidable human force.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,704,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible