The Lost Bird (A Wind River Reservation…

The Lost Bird (A Wind River Reservation Myste) (edition 2000)

by Margaret Coel

202882,946 (4.06)10
Member:pbrowne
Title:The Lost Bird (A Wind River Reservation Myste)
Authors:Margaret Coel
Info:Berkley (2000), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:shelf

The Lost Bird by Margaret Coel

It's probably not fair to jump into a series after four volumes and expect believable personal development and a real sense of place, but I do and I didn't find those qualities. What I found was a somewhat clumsy rough cut product for the tourist trade, not anything close to real craftsmanship. The mystery itself was interesting enough and completely heartbreaking, but the writing, well it could have used a lot of editing. ( )
  quondame | Sep 23, 2018 |
Coel's Wind River series is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. In this installment, Father John and Attorney Vicky Holden, after his assistant Father Joseph is gunned down and a famous actress seeking her birth parents hires Vicky, uncover a black market adoption ring which operated years before. The year in question was 1964. The Arapaho remember it as the year all the babies died. As a librarian and genealogist, my favorite part of the book was when Vicky went to the library to research, even if the author did kind of poke fun at the genealogist who wondered when Vicky was going to be finished. However, the entire book and story, including the introduction of Father John's niece who comes to visit from Boston, held my attention. As usual I listened to the audio version read by Stephanie Brush. ( )
  thornton37814 | Sep 7, 2018 |
Complex and complicated, with a lot of moving parts. Old relationships, new relationships, past crimes and current ones all blended nicely into a fast paced story line. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 15, 2017 |
Native actress shows up on res, looking for lost parents. At about the same time, a retired priest returns and within two weeks, is killed. Another book well worth the time. ( )
  Pmaurer | Nov 29, 2016 |
If you love crime fiction with a strong Native American element and you haven't read Margaret Coel's Wind River mysteries, I urge you to get your hands on them and start reading. (They're best read in order, so begin with The Eagle Catcher.) I learned about them while attending an author event in which Coel appeared with William Kent Krueger. I got the first book in the series, and I haven't looked back since.

Coel is a wonderful stylist. The Wyoming landscape, the history of the area, the characters, the mysteries, and the Arapaho culture are all woven into seamless narratives that are difficult to put down. Everything she writes has such a ring of truth to it, and so much heart that readers learn the Arapaho Way whether or not they realize it.

At the heart of The Lost Bird is a heartbreaking subject that's dealt with honestly and with great sensitivity. As the story unfolds so do more facets of the characters' lives. Father John and Vicky both have emotional revelations to deal with, and Father John also has a surprise visit from his niece Megan which will also cause him great soul-searching.

There are always many layers to these Wind River mysteries, but Coel is the type of writer who keeps a smooth pace while never wasting a word. It's taking me a while to get through this series, but that's my plan. I aim to savor each and every book... and to mourn when I finally read the last installment, Winter's Child. ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 28, 2016 |
Listen . . .
All you creatures
 under the ground
All you creatures
 above the ground
  and in the waters.
 May our boys and girls,
 our children of all ages . . .
May they increase
 and be strengthened.

~ Arapaho prayer
For Bill, who should have been here
He was late.

When a frail Father Keenan is murdered at St Fancis Mission, the community is shocked. Who would kill an ailing priest? The answer may date back to 1964, the year he abruptly left his post - and dozens of Arapaho parents were told their newborns had died from contaminated water.

Now, 35 years later, adopted Hollywood star Sharon David shows up in Vicky Holden's office with clues that she was born in the area. Not only is the actress a lost bird, but there may also be a whole flock behind her.

As Vicky searches for answers, Father John discovers that Keenan had a crushing secret. Now they must find proof of a cover-up before more lives are lost - or the age-old seal of the confessional keeps the truth hidden forever ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425170306, Mass Market Paperback)

Father O'Malley and Arapaho lawyer Vicky Holden must uncover a baby-selling scheme at a clinic forty years ago.

"Suspenseful...Solid characters and a keen sense of place...keep this tale humming." --Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

Father John and Vicky Holden investigate why someone would kill an ill priest.

Margaret Coel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Margaret Coel chatted with LibraryThing members from Sep 20, 2010 to Sep 27, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,031,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible