The Culled by Simon Spurrier

The Culled (2006)

by Simon Spurrier

Series: The Afterblight Chronicles (1)

[Yeah, spoilers. Boilerplate, polite version: I promise I don't "spoil" anything about this book that would have bothered me had I known about it in advance of reading this book. That said, I cannot think of anything I have read in my life that would have been spoiled had I known the plot-advancing facts. And this is not, I promise, a brief Cliffs Notes–style detailed summary of the story. Perhaps the only real way to "spoil" a book is to detail any serious flaws in logic, to the extent that you then can't get them out of your head as you read the book. I can't promise that I don't to that -- but neither can anyone else.]

I wanted to read The Serpent Uncoiled, a more recent book by Spurrier, but it had such glowing reviews I decided, rather than going in cold, having never read anything by him previously, to first get a sense of his writing from something else he had written.

This novel is the first book in a "shared universe" series of novels, called the Afterblight Chronicles, each book written by a different author but taking place in the same overarching story. The "blight" of the series' title is a virus that ravaged the planet, killing (just about) everyone who doesn't have a particular blood type. It's post-apocalyptic mayhem, starring a former mercenary with a remarkable ability to be at the wrong place at the right time and to survive the ever-escalating body count. True to its pulp aspirations, it reads only slightly less quickly than it appears to have been written. It's more told than written, uttered as a full-steam streaming monologue by the main character, with occasional italicized asides from other characters.

I don't know that I will read another book in this series, but I might try another of the "shared universe" books. And I'm looking forward to The Serpent Uncoiled.
  Disquiet | Mar 30, 2013 |
A freebie book I was given. But better then I had expected. A fairly simple story with a lot of action. It feels like the writer really wants to do a Mad Max film. But for all that it is still surprisingly fun to read. In the same way as a cheap action movie on a Saturday night is. ( )
  munchkinstein | Dec 13, 2008 |

Simon Spurrierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harrison, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible