Sous la glace by Louise Penny

Sous la glace (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Louise Penny

Member:misshalcombe
Title:Sous la glace
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:A TEMPERA DIFFUSION ACTES SUD (2011), Broché, 352 pages
Tags:Romans policiers

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny (2006)

Recently added bykarenchase, private library, aczkh, sandy64, Carlathelibrarian, vbboz, mmoj
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: I Am Half-Sick of Shadows and A Fatal Grace are cozy mysteries set in small towns. In each, the victim is disliked by many; thus, many have motives to kill. It is up to the ingenious protagonists to solve the crime.
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Cecilturtle)
    A Stillness in Bethlehem by Jane Haddam (Littlemissbashful)
    Littlemissbashful: Both books feature cerebral detectives in snowbound and idyllic village settings during the Christmas season - The stories take place within close knit communities with hidden secrets and unsympathetic victims. Both have a full supporting cast of characters including various 'eccentrics', feisty old ladies, flaky artists, gay hoteliers, suspect clergy and village scapegoats etc.… (more)

English (108)  French (1)  All languages (109)
I wasn't really looking for a new series, but I've been reading about Louise Penny and her Armand Gamache series and gave it a try. This is the second book in the series and I've enjoyed both of the books I've read and am looking forward to book three. The setting is present-day Quebec in an idyllic little village called Three Pines. Chief Inspector Gamache works for the Quebec Surete and he has been called in to a suspicious death in the little village that he has come to know and love. The call comes in on Boxing Day, but he and his team pack up and head to the village. As they are investigating they find there is a lot more to this murder than they originally thought. First, there are any number of villagers that could have committed the murder, including the victim's family. CC de Poitiers was not liked by anyone that knew her. One of the main things that draws me to this series is the setting. I also enjoy the Canadian perspective. Penny's description of our Canadian winters, our love for sports such as curling and hockey and, in this book, the descriptions of a Canadian Christmas make the book feel so close to home. Gamache is a wonderful protagonist. He is compassionate, courageous and patient. His team absolutely idolize him, with the exception of one who seems to vilify him and his team. Detective Isabelle Nichol was introduced to us in the first book, and I didn't like her then. I like her even less now. I loved the book right up to when the final denouement occurs (right in the middle of a Canadian blizzard), I wasn't totally satisfied with the final result and the unmasking of the killer was an unpleasant surprise. It just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the book. But, in spite of that, I really enjoy this series and will continue to read it. ( )
  Romonko | Aug 21, 2015 |
Another satisfying Gamache caper. This one reveals some-- but not all -- of the mysterious backstory that is the source of Gamache's personal conflict, and I look forward to the next, where hopefully that will be fleshed out even more. I enjoyed this story, which reintroduces some of the principal characters from Still Life and brings in new members of the Three Pines community. I think this is the first time I have read this type of mystery and actually guessed who the murderer was before the big reveal, despite Penny's best efforts, through red herrings and other forms of misdirection. Which is not a bad thing-- it happens to me so rarely, it was actually kind of satisfying. One of the best parts of this novel was the description of the unrelenting Quebec winter and the tolerance displayed by the long suffering residents. As a Canadian I take ownership of weather, particularly winter, but as a west coaster, that frigidly beautiful landscape is pretty alien to me. I almost wanted to be there, walking in the blinding snow with Gamache. Almost. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Having now read the first two books in the Gamache series, and the last, I am really enjoying not only the mysteries [sometimes wrapped within mysteries] but also the character development. Inspector Gamache is smart and likable, and dogged [and pushy when it's needed]. I'm going to take a bit of a hiatus, but will be back for more. ( )
  VictoriaJZ | Aug 9, 2015 |
I am really enjoying these cozy mysteries set in the picturesque little town of Three Pines just outside of Montreal. Three Pines sounds like an idyllic place, however, this is the second book in the series and this charming little village has had two murders in just over a year. :) Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec is there with his team to solve the crime, so no real worries. I enjoy the descriptions of Gamache, of the town, of the bistro, of the food and the wine, and several of the inhabitants of Three Pines.

I think I will keep coming back for more.

Read Sept 2014 ( )
1 vote NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
Maybe I'm not a fan of Inspector Gamache? The victim and the "how" of the murder were identified in the first hour of the listen. Then, the book dragged on like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher and the who and the why were identified in the last 30 minutes. I guess I just didn't enjoy the color of Three Pines, the setting for the novel. OK, I'll try one more Inspector Gamache. ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 25, 2015 |

Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yi, Tong-yunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother Doug and his family, Mary, Brian, Roslyn, and Charles, who showed me what courage really is. Namaste.
Had CC de Poitiers known she was going to be murdered she might have bought her husband, Richard, a Christmas gift.
It was almost impossible to electrocute someone these days, unless you were the governor of Texas.
"Dead Cold" was published in the US as "A Fatal Grace."

When sadistic socialite CC de Poitiers is fatally electrocuted at a Christmas curling competition in the tiny Québecois village of Three Pines, only the arcane method of the murder is a surprise in Penny's artful but overwritten sophomore effort (after her highly praised 2006 debut, Still Life). CC had cobbled together a spiritual guidance business based on eliminating emotion, but the feelings she inspired in others were anything but serene. Everyone around the cartoonish victim—from a daughter cowed by lifelong abuse to the local spiritual teacher whose business she threatens to ruin—has a motive, and the crime also links to a vagrant's recent murder as well as to the pasts of several beloved village residents. The calm but quirky Chief Insp. Armand Gamache, who arrives in Three Pines from Montreal to head the investigation, is appealing as the series' focus. Though Penny gorgeously evokes the smalltown Christmas mood, the novel is oddly steeped in holiday atmosphere for a May release, and the plot's dependence on lengthy backstory slows the momentum. (May)

St MARTIN'S MINOTAUR EDITION:
Welcome to winter in Three Pines, a picturesque village in Quebec, where the villagers are preparing for a traditional country Christmas, and someone is preparing for murder.
No one liked CC de Poitiers. Not her quiet husband, not her spineless lover, not her pathetic daughter - certainly none of the residents of Three Pines. CC de Poitiers managed to alienate everyone, right up until the moment of her death.
When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the Sûreté du Quebec, is called to investigate, he quickly realizes he's dealing with someone quite extraordinary. CC du Poitiers was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village, as she watched the annual curling tournament. And yet so one saw anything. Who could have been insane enough to try such a macabre method of murder - or brilliant enough to succeed?
With his trademark compassion and courage, Gamache digs beneath the idyllic surface of village life to find the dangerous secrets long buried there. For a Quebec winter is not only staggeringly beautiful but deadly, and the people of Three Pines know better than to reveal too much of themselves. But other dangers are becoming clear to Gamache. As a bitter wind blows into the village, something even more chilling is coming for Gamache himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312947135, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the 2007 Agatha Award for Best Novel!

When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is called to investigate a woman’s death, it doesn’t take long for him to realize that no love was lost on Miss de Poitiers. But even if everyone hated her—her husband, lover, and daughter among them—how is it that no one saw her get electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake in the center of town?

Gamache digs beneath the surface of Three Pines to find where the real secrets are buried. But other troubles lie ahead for the detective. It seems he has some enemies of his own…and with the coming of the bitter winter winds, something far more chilling is in store.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Sent to a village south of Montreal to investigate the death of CC de Poitiers, an extremely unpopular woman apparently killed in an electrical accident, Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec finds that nearly everyone in town had a motive to kill her.… (more)

316 wanted5 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,007,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible