A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache…

A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache… (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Louise Penny

Member:jocko31317
Title:A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novels)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Canada, murder, Three Pines

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny (2006)

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: I Am Half-Sick of Shadows and A Fatal Grace are cozy mysteries set in small towns. In each, the victim is disliked by many; thus, many have motives to kill. It is up to the ingenious protagonists to solve the crime.
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Cecilturtle)
    A Stillness in Bethlehem by Jane Haddam (Littlemissbashful)
    Littlemissbashful: Both books feature cerebral detectives in snowbound and idyllic village settings during the Christmas season - The stories take place within close knit communities with hidden secrets and unsympathetic victims. Both have a full supporting cast of characters including various 'eccentrics', feisty old ladies, flaky artists, gay hoteliers, suspect clergy and village scapegoats etc.… (more)

English (129)  French (2)  All (131)
The second in Louise Penny's Three Pines series. Fun, entertaining, and, in places, surprising. Apparently, in Montreal they're capable of doing DNA testing in a few hours - not so much for the rest of the world. Once again, I figured out things before Gamache did, but Penny threw in enough red herrings to keep making me rethink my suppositions until the end. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Mar 5, 2017 |
This is the second in the Gamache series. The setting is as much a character in these novels as are the residents. Three Pines is a quaint, artsy community in Quebec with quirky characters who are, for the most part, likable. There are a lot of philosophical musings, and discussion on art and literature. Inspector Gamache is a thoughtful, kind, compelling character. Penny writes beautifully, and I love her literary style. I’m looking forward to reading #3. I do recommend reading these in order. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
In my review of Still Life I noted several areas in the first book of the Inspector Gamache series that left a bit to be desired. The writing was a little sophomoric and the characters seemed a little bland but the mystery itself was enjoyable enough and judging from reviews in the later books, Louise Penny's writing only improves so I wanted to continue on with the series. Having just finished A Fatal Grace, I wasn't disappointed. Rather than delve into the plot, which you can read amidst the other reviews, I'll give my overall impressions starting with the negative and ending with the positive.

One of my complaints with Still life was the fact that Gamache's charisma seemed unbelievable. I didn't understand everyone's draw to him (even the readers!) and while this is improved quite a bit in A Fatal Grace, it's still a little over the top. I will add here, however, that we do get to peer a bit more into Gamache's personal life with this effort and I think that helped to bring some balance to this issue.

Nichol reappears and that was frustrating for a few reasons; perhaps the greatest of these is because she was just so ridiculous in Still Life. Her role in A Fatal Grace is a bit more minor and not so unbelievably stupid. It also looks as though some of the plot elements she brings to the picture will be weaved into later books. She's a distraction, but I believe this will be redeemed as the overall story continues.

Those items aside A Fatal Grace was a huge improvement in writing and storytelling. The characters are becoming much more real and the care that seems to go into the creation of the setting and mood is really showing here. Three Pines is coming to life as a real town with real people who have real issues and yet get along and enjoy each other all the same.

Still Life saw the murder of the town's beloved Jane Neal. We never really got to meet her outside of the telling after her death. The difference with this mystery is we do get to meet CC and really get a taste of just how revolting she really is. I found this to be a great bonus feature of the story because it helped bring to life the reason for the reactions of those who were around her on a daily basis. On this note, it's also a bonus that Gamache isn't paraded about from the start. Instead, the Inspector doesn't make an appearance until a little further in, sort of in the manner that the old Columbo series did so well. Everyone wants to see him spring into action but some important pieces to the story need to be addressed first. It's tasteful and a little classy, not to mention subdued in a good way.

Finally, there are plot elements that are being slowly introduced that are sure to span through the series. This is a great feature because it gives you more reason to continue the series and yet it's done in a way that doesn't leave you on the edge of your seat just because the author wants to set up the sequel. In that sense, there isn't a sequel so much, it's a series with characters that spring to life and have issues that span more than the 300 or so pages for this particular story. You don't feel cheated as much as you feel invited. My hope is that Louise has sorted these things out well enough that they don't have a bunch of inconsistencies when it's all said and done.

Overall, book two of the Gamache series is a great read and if you're a fan of murder mysteries, I recommend it - especially because you get two murders to solve for the price of one! I'm really looking forward to book three, The Cruelest Month and plan to get that one started in the coming weeks. ( )
  NeverEnoughTime | Dec 23, 2016 |
Not exactly subtle but very enjoyable. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
A much better mystery than the first one ( )
  abbeyhar | Nov 8, 2016 |

Yi, Tong-yunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zielinski, Dana M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

For my brother Doug and his family, Mary, Brian, Roslyn, and Charles, who showed me what courage really is. Namaste.
Had CC de Poitiers known she was going to be murdered she might have bought her husband, Richard, a Christmas gift.
It was almost impossible to electrocute someone these days, unless you were the governor of Texas.
"Dead Cold" was published in the US as "A Fatal Grace."

When sadistic socialite CC de Poitiers is fatally electrocuted at a Christmas curling competition in the tiny Québecois village of Three Pines, only the arcane method of the murder is a surprise in Penny's artful but overwritten sophomore effort (after her highly praised 2006 debut, Still Life). CC had cobbled together a spiritual guidance business based on eliminating emotion, but the feelings she inspired in others were anything but serene. Everyone around the cartoonish victim—from a daughter cowed by lifelong abuse to the local spiritual teacher whose business she threatens to ruin—has a motive, and the crime also links to a vagrant's recent murder as well as to the pasts of several beloved village residents. The calm but quirky Chief Insp. Armand Gamache, who arrives in Three Pines from Montreal to head the investigation, is appealing as the series' focus. Though Penny gorgeously evokes the smalltown Christmas mood, the novel is oddly steeped in holiday atmosphere for a May release, and the plot's dependence on lengthy backstory slows the momentum. (May)

St MARTIN'S MINOTAUR EDITION:
Welcome to winter in Three Pines, a picturesque village in Quebec, where the villagers are preparing for a traditional country Christmas, and someone is preparing for murder.
No one liked CC de Poitiers. Not her quiet husband, not her spineless lover, not her pathetic daughter - certainly none of the residents of Three Pines. CC de Poitiers managed to alienate everyone, right up until the moment of her death.
When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the Sûreté du Quebec, is called to investigate, he quickly realizes he's dealing with someone quite extraordinary. CC du Poitiers was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village, as she watched the annual curling tournament. And yet so one saw anything. Who could have been insane enough to try such a macabre method of murder - or brilliant enough to succeed?
With his trademark compassion and courage, Gamache digs beneath the idyllic surface of village life to find the dangerous secrets long buried there. For a Quebec winter is not only staggeringly beautiful but deadly, and the people of Three Pines know better than to reveal too much of themselves. But other dangers are becoming clear to Gamache. As a bitter wind blows into the village, something even more chilling is coming for Gamache himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312947135, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the 2007 Agatha Award for Best Novel!

When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is called to investigate a woman’s death, it doesn’t take long for him to realize that no love was lost on Miss de Poitiers. But even if everyone hated her—her husband, lover, and daughter among them—how is it that no one saw her get electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake in the center of town?

Gamache digs beneath the surface of Three Pines to find where the real secrets are buried. But other troubles lie ahead for the detective. It seems he has some enemies of his own…and with the coming of the bitter winter winds, something far more chilling is in store.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Sent to a village south of Montreal to investigate the death of CC de Poitiers, an extremely unpopular woman apparently killed in an electrical accident, Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec finds that nearly everyone in town had a motive to kill her.… (more)

340 wanted5 pay8 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,852,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible