A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache…

A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache… (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Louise Penny

Member:jocko31317
Title:A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novels)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Canada, murder, Three Pines

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny (2006)

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: I Am Half-Sick of Shadows and A Fatal Grace are cozy mysteries set in small towns. In each, the victim is disliked by many; thus, many have motives to kill. It is up to the ingenious protagonists to solve the crime.
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Cecilturtle)
    A Stillness in Bethlehem by Jane Haddam (Littlemissbashful)
    Littlemissbashful: Both books feature cerebral detectives in snowbound and idyllic village settings during the Christmas season - The stories take place within close knit communities with hidden secrets and unsympathetic victims. Both have a full supporting cast of characters including various 'eccentrics', feisty old ladies, flaky artists, gay hoteliers, suspect clergy and village scapegoats etc.… (more)

English (105)  French (1)  All languages (106)
I am really enjoying these cozy mysteries set in the picturesque little town of Three Pines just outside of Montreal. Three Pines sounds like an idyllic place, however, this is the second book in the series and this charming little village has had two murders in just over a year. :) Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec is there with his team to solve the crime, so no real worries. I enjoy the descriptions of Gamache, of the town, of the bistro, of the food and the wine, and several of the inhabitants of Three Pines.

I think I will keep coming back for more.

Read Sept 2014 ( )
1 vote NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
Maybe I'm not a fan of Inspector Gamache? The victim and the "how" of the murder were identified in the first hour of the listen. Then, the book dragged on like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher and the who and the why were identified in the last 30 minutes. I guess I just didn't enjoy the color of Three Pines, the setting for the novel. OK, I'll try one more Inspector Gamache.
  buffalogr | Jul 25, 2015 |
Having avoided the first Gamache novel bc I thought the premise sounded like something I wouldn't find entertaining, I'm happy to say I still really enjoyed the second one. Maybe this will make me read the first one!
You don't even meet Gamache for several chapters, and yet the murder is mentioned in Line 1... it's a very interesting narrative choice, and I find I wasn't turned off by it, just intrigued.
Great characters and descriptions. Made me love Three Pines. Made me feel cold! Really brought the setting to life. Would recommend to anyone who want a human-interest mystery/ thriller/ modern drama. ( )
1 vote MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
A deeply improbable murder case--the victim is electrocuted in the audience at a curling match--and I sort of inadvertently solved both murders very early on (I wasn't really trying), but still very enjoyable. ( )
  beaujoe | May 11, 2015 |
All mysteries are unrealistic. The best mysteries are unrealistic in the best way. In the town of Three Pines, every character thinks deeply about God, Love, and the Purpose of Life, and then they talk to one another about all these things in the most eloquent way imaginable. I love them all and I love these books. ( )
2 vote poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |

Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yi, Tong-yunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother Doug and his family, Mary, Brian, Roslyn, and Charles, who showed me what courage really is. Namaste.
Had CC de Poitiers known she was going to be murdered she might have bought her husband, Richard, a Christmas gift.
It was almost impossible to electrocute someone these days, unless you were the governor of Texas.
"Dead Cold" was published in the US as "A Fatal Grace."

When sadistic socialite CC de Poitiers is fatally electrocuted at a Christmas curling competition in the tiny Québecois village of Three Pines, only the arcane method of the murder is a surprise in Penny's artful but overwritten sophomore effort (after her highly praised 2006 debut, Still Life). CC had cobbled together a spiritual guidance business based on eliminating emotion, but the feelings she inspired in others were anything but serene. Everyone around the cartoonish victim—from a daughter cowed by lifelong abuse to the local spiritual teacher whose business she threatens to ruin—has a motive, and the crime also links to a vagrant's recent murder as well as to the pasts of several beloved village residents. The calm but quirky Chief Insp. Armand Gamache, who arrives in Three Pines from Montreal to head the investigation, is appealing as the series' focus. Though Penny gorgeously evokes the smalltown Christmas mood, the novel is oddly steeped in holiday atmosphere for a May release, and the plot's dependence on lengthy backstory slows the momentum. (May)

St MARTIN'S MINOTAUR EDITION:
Welcome to winter in Three Pines, a picturesque village in Quebec, where the villagers are preparing for a traditional country Christmas, and someone is preparing for murder.
No one liked CC de Poitiers. Not her quiet husband, not her spineless lover, not her pathetic daughter - certainly none of the residents of Three Pines. CC de Poitiers managed to alienate everyone, right up until the moment of her death.
When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the Sûreté du Quebec, is called to investigate, he quickly realizes he's dealing with someone quite extraordinary. CC du Poitiers was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village, as she watched the annual curling tournament. And yet so one saw anything. Who could have been insane enough to try such a macabre method of murder - or brilliant enough to succeed?
With his trademark compassion and courage, Gamache digs beneath the idyllic surface of village life to find the dangerous secrets long buried there. For a Quebec winter is not only staggeringly beautiful but deadly, and the people of Three Pines know better than to reveal too much of themselves. But other dangers are becoming clear to Gamache. As a bitter wind blows into the village, something even more chilling is coming for Gamache himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312947135, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the 2007 Agatha Award for Best Novel!

When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is called to investigate a woman’s death, it doesn’t take long for him to realize that no love was lost on Miss de Poitiers. But even if everyone hated her—her husband, lover, and daughter among them—how is it that no one saw her get electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake in the center of town?

Gamache digs beneath the surface of Three Pines to find where the real secrets are buried. But other troubles lie ahead for the detective. It seems he has some enemies of his own…and with the coming of the bitter winter winds, something far more chilling is in store.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Sent to a village south of Montreal to investigate the death of CC de Poitiers, an extremely unpopular woman apparently killed in an electrical accident, Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec finds that nearly everyone in town had a motive to kill her.… (more)

316 wanted5 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,522,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible