A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache…

A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache… (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Louise Penny

Member:jocko31317
Title:A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novels)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Canada, murder, Three Pines

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny (2006)

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: I Am Half-Sick of Shadows and A Fatal Grace are cozy mysteries set in small towns. In each, the victim is disliked by many; thus, many have motives to kill. It is up to the ingenious protagonists to solve the crime.
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Cecilturtle)
    A Stillness in Bethlehem by Jane Haddam (Littlemissbashful)
    Littlemissbashful: Both books feature cerebral detectives in snowbound and idyllic village settings during the Christmas season - The stories take place within close knit communities with hidden secrets and unsympathetic victims. Both have a full supporting cast of characters including various 'eccentrics', feisty old ladies, flaky artists, gay hoteliers, suspect clergy and village scapegoats etc.… (more)

English (132)  French (2)  All (134)
This second mystery outing involving Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and the Canadian village of Three Pines improves on a solid debut, which actually fell a bit short of expectations for me, especially given all of the glowing advance praise. This time around, we get another interesting murder and another reason to spend time with the varied and interesting people in the small Twin Pines community. In fact, the way that Penny handles characters is very reminiscent to me of Jane Haddam and her Gregor Demarkian series. In the Gamache case that is the topic of the moment, we also get a peek at an ongoing plot arc that will probably continue to percolate in future books even as those future books focus on a particular murder of their own. This long arc approach is common in television these days, and it works just as well in written fiction, in my experience, so I'm looking forward to it here. In any case, fascinating characterizations and side trips aside, the main mystery here isn't terribly difficult to figure out if you can keep the distractions from ... well, from distracting you too much. As such, if you want a really complicated and convoluted mystery, then this might not be your thing. If you're not into character development and exploration, then this might not be your thing. And if you're not into plopping those characters in a terrific setting and spending some time focused on that setting, then this might not be your thing. But there's plenty of room on my shelves for well-written mysteries of all types, and this one certainly falls into that category for me. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
I resisted Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache series for a long time, but the first book was wonderful and there was no question I would keep going. This second book is not as compelling as the first -- the mystery seemed pretty convoluted to me -- but I am now completely smitten with the inhabitants of Three Pines, the magical Québécois village where these novels are set.

In A Fatal Grace, a woman who recently moved to Three Pines dies at a community event, and it’s soon evident her death was not accidental. Inspector Gamache and his team are brought in to solve the crime. Gamache is working another case in parallel, which keeps the readers guessing: who is the murderer in Three Pines? Are the two cases linked? I suspected the murderer early on, but discarded my theory and was genuinely surprised at the end.

On to #3 … :) ( )
  lauralkeet | May 25, 2017 |
The second of the Three Pines series. I enjoyed it, with reservations. The actual mystery story line was quite good---I enjoyed figuring things out, and knew "who dunnit" at least 75 pages before the end. The clues were well placed, and not overly obvious. My gripe with this series is that the references to Gamache's back story (the Arnot case) and what's going to happen because of it are just too cryptic. There's a whole paragraph near the end of the book that makes NO sense whatsoever in context, and is clearly just in there to make you want to read the next one. I don't like this... it's manipulative, and not very well done. But will I read the next one? Probably. Because I like Gamache and the little town of Three Pines.
Review written January 2011 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | May 5, 2017 |
The second in Louise Penny's Three Pines series. Fun, entertaining, and, in places, surprising. Apparently, in Montreal they're capable of doing DNA testing in a few hours - not so much for the rest of the world. Once again, I figured out things before Gamache did, but Penny threw in enough red herrings to keep making me rethink my suppositions until the end. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Mar 5, 2017 |
This is the second in the Gamache series. The setting is as much a character in these novels as are the residents. Three Pines is a quaint, artsy community in Quebec with quirky characters who are, for the most part, likable. There are a lot of philosophical musings, and discussion on art and literature. Inspector Gamache is a thoughtful, kind, compelling character. Penny writes beautifully, and I love her literary style. I’m looking forward to reading #3. I do recommend reading these in order. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |

Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, RobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yi, Tong-yunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zielinski, Dana M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother Doug and his family, Mary, Brian, Roslyn, and Charles, who showed me what courage really is. Namaste.
Had CC de Poitiers known she was going to be murdered she might have bought her husband, Richard, a Christmas gift.
It was almost impossible to electrocute someone these days, unless you were the governor of Texas.
"Dead Cold" was published in the US as "A Fatal Grace."

When sadistic socialite CC de Poitiers is fatally electrocuted at a Christmas curling competition in the tiny Québecois village of Three Pines, only the arcane method of the murder is a surprise in Penny's artful but overwritten sophomore effort (after her highly praised 2006 debut, Still Life). CC had cobbled together a spiritual guidance business based on eliminating emotion, but the feelings she inspired in others were anything but serene. Everyone around the cartoonish victim—from a daughter cowed by lifelong abuse to the local spiritual teacher whose business she threatens to ruin—has a motive, and the crime also links to a vagrant's recent murder as well as to the pasts of several beloved village residents. The calm but quirky Chief Insp. Armand Gamache, who arrives in Three Pines from Montreal to head the investigation, is appealing as the series' focus. Though Penny gorgeously evokes the smalltown Christmas mood, the novel is oddly steeped in holiday atmosphere for a May release, and the plot's dependence on lengthy backstory slows the momentum. (May)

St MARTIN'S MINOTAUR EDITION:
Welcome to winter in Three Pines, a picturesque village in Quebec, where the villagers are preparing for a traditional country Christmas, and someone is preparing for murder.
No one liked CC de Poitiers. Not her quiet husband, not her spineless lover, not her pathetic daughter - certainly none of the residents of Three Pines. CC de Poitiers managed to alienate everyone, right up until the moment of her death.
When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the Sûreté du Quebec, is called to investigate, he quickly realizes he's dealing with someone quite extraordinary. CC du Poitiers was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village, as she watched the annual curling tournament. And yet so one saw anything. Who could have been insane enough to try such a macabre method of murder - or brilliant enough to succeed?
With his trademark compassion and courage, Gamache digs beneath the idyllic surface of village life to find the dangerous secrets long buried there. For a Quebec winter is not only staggeringly beautiful but deadly, and the people of Three Pines know better than to reveal too much of themselves. But other dangers are becoming clear to Gamache. As a bitter wind blows into the village, something even more chilling is coming for Gamache himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312947135, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the 2007 Agatha Award for Best Novel!

When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is called to investigate a woman’s death, it doesn’t take long for him to realize that no love was lost on Miss de Poitiers. But even if everyone hated her—her husband, lover, and daughter among them—how is it that no one saw her get electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake in the center of town?

Gamache digs beneath the surface of Three Pines to find where the real secrets are buried. But other troubles lie ahead for the detective. It seems he has some enemies of his own…and with the coming of the bitter winter winds, something far more chilling is in store.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Sent to a village south of Montreal to investigate the death of CC de Poitiers, an extremely unpopular woman apparently killed in an electrical accident, Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec finds that nearly everyone in town had a motive to kill her.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,072,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible