A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache…

A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache… (original 2006; edition 2011)

by Louise Penny

1,330None5,820 (3.98)438
Member:jocko31317
Title:A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novels)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, Canada, murder, Three Pines

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny (2006)

2010 (10) Armand Gamache (70) audiobook (11) Canada (112) Canadian (44) Canadian author (14) Canadian mystery (11) Christmas (15) cozy (19) crime (24) crime fiction (11) curling (13) detective (11) ebook (17) fiction (110) Gamache (23) library (9) Montreal (12) murder (32) murder mystery (10) mystery (324) police procedural (32) Quebec (103) read (20) read in 2010 (16) read in 2011 (10) series (44) small town (14) Three Pines (68) to-read (15)
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (Cecilturtle)
    A Stillness in Bethlehem by Jane Haddam (Littlemissbashful)
    Littlemissbashful: Both books feature cerebral detectives in snowbound and idyllic village settings during the Christmas season - The stories take place within close knit communities with hidden secrets and unsympathetic victims. Both have a full supporting cast of characters including various 'eccentrics', feisty old ladies, flaky artists, gay hoteliers, suspect clergy and village scapegoats etc.… (more)

English (92)  French (1)  All languages (93)
This was my second Inspector Gamache book and my expectations were very high. Thankfully, they were pretty much reached. Once again, the characters and locations are so well described that you feel as if you know them like old friends and places from your own past - incredibly skillful. I love the wit some of the people use. It is all done so apparently effortlessly. The story itself is almost secondary to all this. It is a double murder, with a connection only revealed quite late but obvious from the start. Some of the plot is overly contrived- there is a huge fire the purpose of which I do not quite understand. The dysfunctional underling Nichol reappears. I assume in some later work, she will become transformed and happy but up to now she is an irritation.
All in all, this is a lovely book with unexpected depths, humour and perceptions. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Apr 5, 2014 |
unknown
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
I very seldom read a book again, with the exception of Louise Penny. Penny's books bring tears of sadness and happiness to me. I would love to meet Clara and see her paintings. And I feel a kinship with Ruth, that old woman with a gruff exterior and a heart of gold. Three Pines, the village, stands as a Brigadoon that only a few chosen people find and enjoy. Each character has an interesting personality. The three older women show the strength and vulnerability of these three friends. I notice that this book points to a future book, How the Light Gets In, many times. Inspector Gamache is one of most favorite detectives. Whenever I feel my life hitting snags, I think of Gamache, and know I need to try harder. ( )
  delphimo | Feb 19, 2014 |
First of all, one big beef about the reader of this audiobook. Every Canadian I have ever met has pronounced the knitted hat that we wear on our heads with a long u but this person pronounced it with a long o which makes it sound more like something you smoke (and incidentally rhymes with smoke). And since this book takes place in winter in the Eastern Townships of Quebec there are lots of occasions when people put on or take off toques. It angered me every time and almost spoiled the book for me.

Inspector Gamache is called to Three Pines to investigate the suspicious death of a woman who had bought the Hadley house (scene of tense moments in the first Gamache mystery, Still Life). In what is possibly the most iconic Canadian location of a murder ever plotted, CC Poitiers fell dead while watching an outdoor curling game on Boxing Day. It was soon discovered that she had been electrocuted and Gamache has to uncover how this happened and why.

We learn more about Gamache and his wife and the inhabitants of the village that we met in the first book but the stars of the book are the three Graces, Emily, Mother and Ruth Zardo. These three women have known each other for yearsand are the bedrock of the village. Three Pines wouldn't be the same without them. But they are getting older and feeling rather mortal. I would like to be just like them in a few more years. ( )
  gypsysmom | Feb 13, 2014 |
The second Three Pines mystery. Good characters. Canadian. Some good belly laughs in it. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yi, Tong-yunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother Doug and his family, Mary, Brian, Roslyn, and Charles, who showed me what courage really is. Namaste.
Had CC de Poitiers known she was going to be murdered she might have bought her husband, Richard, a Christmas gift.
It was almost impossible to electrocute someone these days, unless you were the governor of Texas.
"Dead Cold" was published in the US as "A Fatal Grace."

When sadistic socialite CC de Poitiers is fatally electrocuted at a Christmas curling competition in the tiny Québecois village of Three Pines, only the arcane method of the murder is a surprise in Penny's artful but overwritten sophomore effort (after her highly praised 2006 debut, Still Life). CC had cobbled together a spiritual guidance business based on eliminating emotion, but the feelings she inspired in others were anything but serene. Everyone around the cartoonish victim—from a daughter cowed by lifelong abuse to the local spiritual teacher whose business she threatens to ruin—has a motive, and the crime also links to a vagrant's recent murder as well as to the pasts of several beloved village residents. The calm but quirky Chief Insp. Armand Gamache, who arrives in Three Pines from Montreal to head the investigation, is appealing as the series' focus. Though Penny gorgeously evokes the smalltown Christmas mood, the novel is oddly steeped in holiday atmosphere for a May release, and the plot's dependence on lengthy backstory slows the momentum. (May)

St MARTIN'S MINOTAUR EDITION:
Welcome to winter in Three Pines, a picturesque village in Quebec, where the villagers are preparing for a traditional country Christmas, and someone is preparing for murder.
No one liked CC de Poitiers. Not her quiet husband, not her spineless lover, not her pathetic daughter - certainly none of the residents of Three Pines. CC de Poitiers managed to alienate everyone, right up until the moment of her death.
When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the Sûreté du Quebec, is called to investigate, he quickly realizes he's dealing with someone quite extraordinary. CC du Poitiers was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village, as she watched the annual curling tournament. And yet so one saw anything. Who could have been insane enough to try such a macabre method of murder - or brilliant enough to succeed?
With his trademark compassion and courage, Gamache digs beneath the idyllic surface of village life to find the dangerous secrets long buried there. For a Quebec winter is not only staggeringly beautiful but deadly, and the people of Three Pines know better than to reveal too much of themselves. But other dangers are becoming clear to Gamache. As a bitter wind blows into the village, something even more chilling is coming for Gamache himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312947135, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the 2007 Agatha Award for Best Novel!

When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is called to investigate a woman’s death, it doesn’t take long for him to realize that no love was lost on Miss de Poitiers. But even if everyone hated her—her husband, lover, and daughter among them—how is it that no one saw her get electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake in the center of town?

Gamache digs beneath the surface of Three Pines to find where the real secrets are buried. But other troubles lie ahead for the detective. It seems he has some enemies of his own…and with the coming of the bitter winter winds, something far more chilling is in store.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:36 -0400)

Sent to a village south of Montreal to investigate the death of CC de Poitiers, an extremely unpopular woman apparently killed in an electrical accident, Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec finds that nearly everyone in town had a motive to kill her.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible