Die for Me by Karen Rose
Info:Vision (2007), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 584 pages
Collections:romantic suspense, Your library, Favorites
Tags:romantic suspense, mystery

Die for Me by Karen Rose

English (18)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (22)
Quick Synopsis:

Die For Me started with an elderly man uncovering a body in the a field on the large grounds where he lived. After the cops arrived on the scene and discovered that this was more than a simple murder, they called in an expert. Sophie Johansen, an esteemed archeologist, studied the grave of the first victim and quickly discovered that the body count was enormous. After a several POV changes, the book settled into a flow. Several plot twists later, Karen Rose reveals "who done it" and how they were going to catch them.

My Thoughts:
I almost didn't read this book. The prologue at the beginning kept me interested but the quick POV changes annoyed me. I don't mind reading from the perspective of multiple characters. It can bet fun if done well, but I was a bit skeptical at first. I was glad that I pushed on and kept reading. I enjoyed getting in the mind of the killer, the victims and other characters.

Many of the characters were developed based on how they were viewed by others. This is a different type of character development than I am used to. I appreciated it and am tempted to read more of her books to see if this is her style. ( )
  Natalie_Walker | Oct 27, 2015 |
I was captivated by this romantic suspense from beginning to end even with the many gory events. It was full of action with a complex plot that moved right along. Archaeologist Sophie was asked to help at a crime scene whose investigation was led by detective Vito.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Die for Me
4 Stars

When several graves are uncovered in a field, Philadelphia detective, Vito Ciccotelli, calls in local archeologist and medieval historian, Sophie Johannsen to aid in the investigation. With the bodies piling up, Vito and his colleagues will have to race against the clock once the sadistic killer sets his sights on Sophie.

A tense and exciting if predictable read.

In terms of the plot, it is relatively easy to guess the villain’s identity. Nevertheless, the story is well-developed and suspenseful. Rose’s research into medieval weaponry and torture devices, as well as the computer game industry and forensic investigation, is exceptional and makes for interesting reading. It should be noted that the descriptions are quite graphic and violent, and the books deals with some disturbing themes. As such, it may not be for everyone.

As in most of Rose’s books, there are numerous characters to keep track of from Sophie and Vito’s respective families, colleagues and friends to the killer’s victims and other assorted witnesses. That said, each and every character plays an important role in the story and none are superfluous. Moreover, Rose’s villain is as diabolical as they come and his actions and motivations make for some spine-chilling scenes.

The romance between Sophie and Vito is the weakest aspect of the book. Sophie is not a particularly likable heroine. She is cold, curt, abrasive and self-absorbed. While she does eventually change her outlook on life and become more agreeable, she never quite manages to evoke any sympathy. Vito, on the other hand, is sexy and charming, and his devotion to his family makes him extremely engaging. To be honest, aside from the physical attraction, it is unclear why he wants to be with her.

All in all, a solid addition to Rose’s thrilling if hauntingly dark series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 18, 2014 |
Better than the other Karen Rose I've read so far (I Can See You and You Belong to Me). Vito and Sophie play off each other very well. Going to read the next Vartanian book with anticipation! ( )
  lesmel | May 16, 2013 |
This book was very good. The plot line and characters were all very well done. It was just a bit too dark for me. This is definitely not a book to read if you are at all squeamish or don't like anything too graphic. That was the only reason I gave it only 2 stars. ( )
  Irishcontessa | Mar 30, 2013 |

Karen Roseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616915, Mass Market Paperback)

The first victim is found in a snow-covered Philadelphia field. Detective Vito Ciccotelli enlists the aid of archaeologist Sophie Johannsen to determine exactly what lies beneath the frozen ground. Despite years of unearthing things long buried, nothing can prepare Sophie for the matrix of graves dug with chilling precision. The victims buried there haunt her. But the empty graves terrify her-the killer isn't done yet.

He is cold and calculating, the master of a twisted game. Even with Vito and Sophie hot on his trail, he will not stop. One more empty grave must be filled, and one last scream must be heard-the scream of an archaeologist who is too close for comfort and too near to resist...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:46 -0400)

Assigned to investigate a series of brutal killings, homicide detective Vito Ciccotelli is reluctantly paired with archaeologist Sophie Johannsen, who is brought in to provide insight into the killer's use of ancient weaponry and torture devices, but complications arise when Sophie is targeted as the next victim.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,957,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible