Die for Me by Karen Rose

Die for Me (edition 2007)

by Karen Rose

Info:
Collections:romantic suspense, Your library, Favorites
Tags:romantic suspense, mystery

Die for Me by Karen Rose

English (16)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (20)
Die for Me
4 Stars

When several graves are uncovered in a field, Philadelphia detective, Vito Ciccotelli, calls in local archeologist and medieval historian, Sophie Johannsen to aid in the investigation. With the bodies piling up, Vito and his colleagues will have to race against the clock once the sadistic killer sets his sights on Sophie.

A tense and exciting if predictable read.

In terms of the plot, it is relatively easy to guess the villain’s identity. Nevertheless, the story is well-developed and suspenseful. Rose’s research into medieval weaponry and torture devices, as well as the computer game industry and forensic investigation, is exceptional and makes for interesting reading. It should be noted that the descriptions are quite graphic and violent, and the books deals with some disturbing themes. As such, it may not be for everyone.

As in most of Rose’s books, there are numerous characters to keep track of from Sophie and Vito’s respective families, colleagues and friends to the killer’s victims and other assorted witnesses. That said, each and every character plays an important role in the story and none are superfluous. Moreover, Rose’s villain is as diabolical as they come and his actions and motivations make for some spine-chilling scenes.

The romance between Sophie and Vito is the weakest aspect of the book. Sophie is not a particularly likable heroine. She is cold, curt, abrasive and self-absorbed. While she does eventually change her outlook on life and become more agreeable, she never quite manages to evoke any sympathy. Vito, on the other hand, is sexy and charming, and his devotion to his family makes him extremely engaging. To be honest, aside from the physical attraction, it is unclear why he wants to be with her.

All in all, a solid addition to Rose’s thrilling if hauntingly dark series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 18, 2014 |
Better than the other Karen Rose I've read so far (I Can See You and You Belong to Me). Vito and Sophie play off each other very well. Going to read the next Vartanian book with anticipation! ( )
  lesmel | May 16, 2013 |
This book was very good. The plot line and characters were all very well done. It was just a bit too dark for me. This is definitely not a book to read if you are at all squeamish or don't like anything too graphic. That was the only reason I gave it only 2 stars. ( )
  Irishcontessa | Mar 30, 2013 |
I have stated several times that Karen Rose is the best romantic suspense author around, hands down. This book is a reaffirmation of that statement. This is a dark serial killer thriller with medieval torture devices and a very cold blooded sociopathic killer.
Sophie, an archaeologist,is called in by Detective Vito Ciccotelli to help with a mass grave discovered in Philadelphia. Sophie has a very strange family and upbringing, plus she hasn't had much luck in the romance department. She and Vito have an instant connection, but Sophie is wary. As the investigation progresses, Sophie finds she is on the killer's short list.
There are several little stories going on in the beginning. We are introduced to Daniel Vartanian and his family. We also follow Vito and Nick and the team as they investigate the murders of the people found in the graves, and we are also following a video game corporation. Of course, we are also following the budding romance between Vito and Sophie. Sometimes the switch between the story threads came to too quickly and I had trouble changing gears, thus making it hard for me to get into the story at first. But, once the stories started to merge and I was able to see where it was all tying together I was really into the book.
There were a few loose ends. The next book "Sream for Me" hopefully addresses some of these loose ends. This is fairly thick book -568 pages in paperback form. But, the story never lagged and wasn't just a bunch of filler. This maybe wasn't my all time favorite Karen Rose novel. I did like Vito a lot. He was the perfect hero. He was strong, able, smart , but not full of himself and arrogant and over the top alpha male. I thought he would be really good for Sophie. I was happy Sophie finally found some peace regarding her career and some stability in her personal life. Over a B+ ( )
  gpangel | Nov 9, 2012 |
4.5 stars. reviewed for AAR ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |

Karen Roseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446616915, Mass Market Paperback)

COME TO ME

The first victim is found in a snow-covered Philadelphia field. Detective Vito Ciccotelli enlists the aid of archaeologist Sophie Johannsen to determine exactly what lies beneath the frozen ground. Despite years of unearthing things long buried, nothing can prepare Sophie for the matrix of graves dug with chilling precision. The victims buried there haunt her. But the empty graves terrify her-the killer isn't done yet.

SCREAM FOR ME

He is cold and calculating, the master of a twisted game. Even with Vito and Sophie hot on his trail, he will not stop. One more empty grave must be filled, and one last scream must be heard-the scream of an archaeologist who is too close for comfort and too near to resist...

DIE FOR ME

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:39 -0400)

Assigned to investigate a series of brutal killings, homicide detective Vito Ciccotelli is reluctantly paired with archaeologist Sophie Johannsen, who is brought in to provide insight into the killer's use of ancient weaponry and torture devices, but complications arise when Sophie is targeted as the next victim.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,339,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible