Justice Hall (Mary Russell Novels) by Laurie…

Justice Hall (Mary Russell Novels) (original 2002; edition 2009)

by Laurie R. King

Member:Roblynn_
Title:Justice Hall (Mary Russell Novels)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages

Justice Hall by Laurie R. King (2002)

Recently added byemmysea, DougBaker, elioxe, private library, thea-block, keeline-inventory, Rohdana

This novel undoubtedly features one of the most devious murder methods I have encountered in fiction. In one way it is a tribute to the virtues of aristocracy, in another a condemnation. Since learning of the Shot at Dawn Project I have not ceased to be sure that Great Britain deserved to lose it empire. I eagerly wait for the rest of her dominions to free themselves.
  ritaer | Aug 20, 2018 |
Mary and Holmes are back at home in Sussex and are resting and recovering from their adventures in Dartmoor, when they are surprised by unexpected visit from someone they haven't seen since their time in Jerusalem. It turns out that the brothers Maohmoud and Ali Hazard the met in Palestine , are in fact two British Peers. Mahmoud has just inherited the title of Duke. Mary and Holmes are invited by Ali to his brother's home, Justice Hall, to see for themselves how unhappy Mahmoud really is, as he assumes the responsibilities being a Duke. Mary and Holmes agree to help investigate whether the the next in line for the title of Duke is an imposter or not. They are also asked to look into the death of Gabriel Hughenfort, who would've been the current Duke if he hadn't died while serving in the army during World War I. If Muhammad can find a way to set aside his inheritance and title, so he could free to resume his former life of disguises and go back to his beloved Palestine.

The author gives us another grand adventure with her attention to detail in her depth and descriptions of the characters and English countryside. This is a real who done it with lots of twists and turns mixed in with emotional overtones. ( )
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |

FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |
My new favorite in this series, with recurring characters from a previous Russell and Holmes book. There was more "detecting" with both Holmes and Mary, which I liked. The story was simply more interesting to me than the last one. Highly enjoyable. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Justice Hall story takes place quite directly after The Moor when Holmes and Russell find a bloodied guest at their doorstep begging for help. It actually makes a lot of sense to why O Jerusalem came before this book despite that the story takes place directly after The Moor. You just have to rad this book and the previous to find out why...

Russell and Holmes have to help Marsh Hughenfort discover the truth about the death of his nephew Gabriel Hughenfort who died in the Great War of 1918. But, there is someone out there that doesn’t want the truth to be reveal and will do anything to stop Holmes and Russell finding out the truth…

This is also, like O Jerusalem, a book that took some rereads for me to really warm up to it. I was actually a bit surprised to find I have only given it 4-stars on Goodreads (so I changed it to 5-stars) since I actually like it quite a lot nowadays. I like the connection this book have to O Jerusalem and the case is very interesting and tragic. It’s a very good book. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let justice roll down like the waters, and righteousness like an everflowing stream.

—Amos 5:24
For my family (you know who you are) Familia fortitudo mea est.
Home, my soul sighed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553581112, Mass Market Paperback)

A lost heir, murder most foul, and the unexpected return of two old friends start Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes--spouses and intellectual equals--on an investigation that takes them from the trenches of World War I France to the heights of English society. In this sixth entry in Laurie King's award-winning series, fans will find the Baker Street sleuth mellowed by age and marriage yet still in possession of his deductive abilities and acerbic wit, and, in Mary Russell, a surprisingly apt companion for the legendary detective.

Justice Hall brings back two colorful characters from earlier in the series: Bedouins Ali and Mahmoud Hazr (now known as Alistair and Marsh), who last appeared in O Jerusalem. At their request, Holmes and Russell take up the trail of the doomed heir to Justice Hall, who has been executed for cowardice in the bloody trenches of France. As the detectives strive to make sense of his death and to locate another heir to the family title, an attempt is made on the life of the man who's soon to be welcomed as the new duke. Holmes and Russell soon realize something sinister is afoot, and that they must untangle a web of deceit to discover which of the many suspects is taking steps to shorten the line of inheritance. Once again, King's satisfying tale stays true to the spirit of Conan Doyle's original stories while extending them into new terrain. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

It's a mystery that begins during the Great War, when Gabriel Hughenfort died amidst scandalous rumors that have haunted the family ever since. But it's not until Holmes and Russell arrive at Justice Hall, a home of unearthly perfection set in a garden modeled on Paradise, that they fully understand the irony echoed in the family motto, Justicia fortitudo mea est: A trail of ominous clues comprise a mystery that leads from an English hamlet to the city of Paris to the wild prairie of the New World.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,510,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible