Talking with Michener by Lawrence Grobel

Talking with Michener (1999)

by Lawrence Grobel

141683,257 (4)None

I really enjoyed reading this book. Admittedly, I am a Michener fan and collector of books by him and about him. This is one of my favorites of the latter variety. The "question and answer" style of presentation is easy to read, as is the language used. I suppose that should have been expected because almost all of Michener's writing has been presented in simple language using simple syntax so that unsophisticated readers like me can enjoy it and learn from it. His beliefs are well presented in this book. He appears out of the pages as a thoughtful, caring human being and a "citizen of the world". I don't think that he would have accepted an invitation to dinner at my house (he seems like a private person), and I don't know that I would have liked him if he had (no vulnerability), but I sure like the way he thinks and I really like the way he writes. Perhaps I would like Lawrence Grobel though; I like his face in the photograph on the back flap of the book's dust jacket.
Anyone who has liked any one of Michener's books would probably enjoy this book as it shows us pretty much who he is as a writer and a citizen. Be prepared, though, for a left-of-center view of the human condition. ( )
  gmillar | Feb 19, 2011 |
For Jim, who, once he started, never stopped; and for Maya, Hana and Zachary, the next generation.
On the first day of February, 1996, James A. Michener looked out his window and forgot temporarily that he was in Austin, Texas.
I think American women have been shafted.

A collection of questions by Lawrence Grobel and answers to them given by James A. Michener, collected from conversations that took place between 1980 and October 1997.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,558,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible