Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician by…

Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician (2007)

by Daniel Wallace

Like Big Fish, the baseline story is used to present a series of short stories that allow us to understand the sad narrative of Henry Walker's life. ( )
  pmoore66 | Oct 5, 2015 |
sad story! ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
I'm not sure why I waited so long to read this book. I've enjoyed the previous three novels by Wallace and yet, it had been sitting unread on my shelf for over a year. My mistake! This may be my favorite of them all. There's mystery, illusion and great characters. Wallace doesn't disappoint. Plus, he appreciates his fans. ( )
  Sean191 | Nov 5, 2010 |
This was a curious book. The writing is very good and the plot is compelling. Yet I often felt lost, wondering "What's going on here? Am I just not getting this?" Certainly in the end I had no idea what had really happened, which I did not enjoy at all. It's kind of like a song that sounds beautiful, and yet the lyrics make sense only to the writer (a bit like Tori Amos). ( )
  Eliz12 | Mar 10, 2010 |
Reviewed by Mrs. Bancroft (Language Arts)
This novel begins with a Depression-era circus. The book has so many twists and surprises I could not stop reading. There are multiple narrators which adds to the mystery throughout. It reads somewhat like Twain, requiring suspension of disbelief while maintaining enough realism to make you question the craziness. You can't tell much about this book without ruining some of the mystery, but if you read to page 45 I don't think you'll be able to stop. Expect this to become a movie. This is the author of Big Fish and there are many similarities within the stories. ( )
  HHS-Staff | Oct 20, 2009 |
To my kids: Abby, Lillian, and Henry
Jeremiah Mosgrove-the proprietor of Jeremiah Mosgrove's Chinese Circus- hired Henry Walker four years ago, at the halfway point of the twentieth century, hired him almost as soon as he'd walked into Jeremiah's office: he needed a magician.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038552109X, Hardcover)

From the author of Big Fish comes this haunting, tender story that weaves a tragic secret, a mysterious meeting with the Devil, and a family of charming circus freaks recounting the extraordinary adventures of their friend Henry Walker, the Negro Magician.

In the middle of a dusty Southern town, in the middle of the twentieth century, magician Henry Walker entertains crowds at Jeremiah Musgrove’s Chinese Circus. Though not the world-famous illusionist he once was, Henry, with his dark skin and green eyes, is still something of a novelty to the patrons who pay a dime to see his show. Most of the patrons, anyway.

As the novel begins, one May night in 1954, Henry is confronted by three menacing white teens, and soon thereafter disappears. With his fate uncertain, his friends from the circus—Jenny the Ossified Girl, Rudy the Strong Man, and JJ the Barker—piece together what they know of Henry's mysterious and extraordinary life. The result is a spellbinding adventure that begins when ten-year-old Henry meets the devil, who gives him the art of magic and then steals the one thing that means the most to him. As Henry’s friends recount the remarkable adventures and incredible heartache that result from this childhood encounter, only one thing seems certain about Henry's life: nothing is as it appears.

Brimming with surprising twists and turns, and peopled with a literal circus of memorable characters, Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician is Daniel Wallace at his finest. As in his beloved debut, Big Fish, Wallace once again conjures a wondrous tale with an emotional punch. This is a story of love and loss, identity and illusion, fate and choice; a story that will capture your heart and your imagination and not let go until the very last page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

Traveling through the Deep South in 1954 with a circus, a magician finds himself in deep trouble with three angry white teenagers, while his friends from the circus describe how he received the gift of magic from the devil himself.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible