O Jerusalem (Mary Russell Novels) by Laurie…

O Jerusalem (Mary Russell Novels) (original 1999; edition 2009)

by Laurie R. King

Member:Roblynn_
Title:O Jerusalem (Mary Russell Novels)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages

O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King (1999)

In the timeline of this series this book takes place during the events of book #1 . Sherlock Holmes and the 19 year old Mary Russell have run for their lives leaving England and going to Palestine. In addition to buying time while they try to figure out how to deal with a criminal genius, Holmes and Mary also look into a matter for Sherlock's brother, Mycroft. The two land on the shores of Palestine to be met by two Arabs Mahmoud and Ali, who work for Mycroft's organization. At first they are hardly accepted by the Arabs, the two gain acceptance. Following faint clues they find themselves in Jerusalem, where there are not one but two thrilling, climaxes. Holmes, Russell, Ali, and Mahmoud almost travel the entire length of Palestine in search of a killer. As they do they visit early Jewish settlements, Arab villages, Christian monasteries, and the Dead Sea.

The plot line and mystery weren't as good as they were in past novels. The historical information and data seemed to over power the story. The story line told us who the killer was while leaving their motivation for the crimes totally unexplored, which seemed to make the story's resolution seem less than logical. ( )
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |

FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |
A worthy addition to Laurie R King's Russell/Holmes series, taking place during an interlude of The Beekeeper's Apprentice. I enjoyed how the author wove the characters within post-World War I history, and made the streets and countryside of Palestine come alive in sight, sound, and smell. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 24, 2018 |
O Jerusalem takes us back in time to the first book when Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes had to flee England because of the danger they were in. The country they chose, or rather Mary chose, was Palestine.

This is the first book in the series that I didn’t quite like as much as the previous four books. That doesn’t mean that the book isn’t good. Just that it took some rereads to make me really appreciate the book. Now it’s a good book for me, and I wouldn’t mind re-read, but I was a bit disappointed when I read it the first time. Could be because I preferred the stories to move forward not reading about past events. It was quite a lot of years since I read it the first time so it’s hard to know exactly why. The case was probably just not as engrossing as the previous books cases.
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Holmes and Russell leave England to avoid earlier opponent, end up investigating threats to the peace of the Palestine territories recently liberated from Turkish rule by the British. Colorful descriptions of the land, the people and the political situation.
  ritaer | Dec 3, 2017 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dorothy Nicholl, and in memory of Donald, with love and gratitude.
During the final week of December 1918, shortly before my nineteenth birthday, I vanished into British-occupied Palestine in the company of my friend and mentor Sherlock Holmes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553581058, Mass Market Paperback)

Although O Jerusalem is Laurie King's fifth book in her Holmes-Russell series, it actually takes us back to the era of her first book, The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Perhaps King was afraid that her characters, Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, were becoming too cozy as an old married couple, and she wanted to recreate the edgy sexual tension of their first encounter.

It's 1918. Nineteen-year-old Mary and her fiftysomething mentor are forced to flee England to escape a deadly adversary. Sherlock's well-connected brother Mycroft sends them to Palestine to do some international sleuthing. Here, a series of murders threatens the fragile peace.

Laurie King connects us, through details of language, custom, history, and sensual impressions, to this very alien environment. Russell, Holmes, and two marvelously imagined Arab guides named Mahmoud and Ali trek through the desert and visit ancient monasteries clinging like anthills to cliffs. They also find time to take tea with the British military legend Allenby in Haifa and skulk through or under the streets of Jerusalem. King puts us into each scene so quickly and completely that her narrative flow never falters.

Stepping back in time also gives King a chance to show us Holmes through the eyes of a Russell not yet as full of love as a honeymooner, nor as complacent as a comfortable wife. "There it was--sardonic, superior, infuriating," Mary says about Holmes's voice at one point.

Wisdom is knowing when, and how much, to shake things up--even in a successful series. Laurie King is a wise woman indeed. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:56 -0400)

Mary Russell once again teams up with Sherlock Holmes as they are pursued by murderous strangers through the bazaars of 1918 Jerusalem.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible