Oranges by John McPhee

Oranges

by John McPhee

448None23,259 (4.1)12

Yesterday, after dinner, Tina and I split an orange. This was a delicacy made new by my perusal of the John McPhee treatise Oranges this weekend. As with all McPhee books, this is filled with fun and fascinating facts that weave together into a compelling story. For instance:

* An orange is always sweeter on the blossom end. I tested this rule of thumb, and it held quite well for the ochre segments we ate (over the sink, of course) in the kitchen.
* The best oranges on a tree are grown high up, on the south-facing side.
* Navel oranges have a thick skin (as do California-grown oranges) compared to the Valencia orange (or the Florida-grown ones).
* Far from the corporate behemoth I pictured it as, Sunkist is the largest agricultural cooperative in the world.
* Frozen concentrated orange juice (FCOJ, for fans of the film Trading Places) is not simply concentrated orange juice. It's fresh OJ that's been vaccuum-extracted to within an inch of its life, resulting in a tepid acid-sugar syrup with no particular orange character. Packers then add a small amount of fresh OJ and d-limonene (orange peel oil) to give it the flavor we've come to know and love as "orange juice." No WONDER freshly-squeezed OJ tastes so different from Minute Maid.
  Brian.McGovney | Mar 30, 2013 |
Like a long encyclopedic entry this book tells you everything there is to know about oranges...where they come from, how they settled in the US, the history of the Florida orange growers, how to grow the best oranges..etc, etc. I want to eat more varieties of oranges and grow my own tree now. ( )
  mrminjares | Mar 6, 2010 |
Written in the '70's, things have changed in Florida and in the orange market, but McPhee's writing is timeless. This book, like many of his works, is a slender volume. I was able to read it in just a couple afternoons. With his lively descriptions and 'first person' style, make it a smooth read and you learn a thing or two to boot! ( )
  dichosa | Sep 8, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374512973, Paperback)

While many readers are familiar with John McPhee's masterful pieces on a large scale (the geological history of North America, or the nature of Alaska), McPhee is equally remarkable when he considers the seemingly inconsequential. Oranges was conceived as a short magazine piece, but thanks to his unparalleled investigative skills, became a slim, fact-filled book. As McPhee chronicles orange farmers struggling with frost and horticulturists' new breeds of citrus, oranges come to seem a microcosm of man's relationship with nature.

Like Flemish miniaturists who reveal the essence of humankind within the confines of a tiny frame, McPhee once again demonstrates that the smallest topic is replete with history, significance, and consequence.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:21 -0400)

McPhee writes about the botany, history, and industry of oranges.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible