The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams

The Plague Dogs (edition 1978)

by Richard Adams

Collections:Read but unowned, SciFi Fantasy
Rating:*1/2
Tags:science, experiments, dogs

The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams

English (21)  Swedish (1)  All languages (22)
Band on the run. Classic mis-matched dogs escape from lab. I still enjoyed it. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Was expecting this book to be a lot more serious than it actually was, considering its subject matter. At the beginning when I saw the A.R.S.E. abbreviation I couldn't help but wonder if it was an unfortunate accident.

Adams was obviously very well-read. Loads of obscure literary references, including himself. I especially appreciated the Lord of the Rings reference.

Wasn't sure what to think of his reference to himself, couldn't help but think bits of the text were a bit of an author soap box about animal testing.

Preferred the bits about people, like Dr Boycott, Powell and Digby Driver, took a while to enjoy the dogs' bits.

Ending felt a bit contrived but in a way I preferred a happy ending to the alternative. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 10, 2014 |
somewhat plodding, but still a good read, magnificent illustrations, wonderful ending ( )
  Judebird | Sep 18, 2014 |
I found it hard to finish this book. I'm a sentimental person. Dogs have it hard enough, with some masters, and then we add research. .(for all the dogs reading this).I'm sorry guys, we really have cruelly exploited your boundless faith in humans. I'll try to do better. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 8, 2013 |
I didn't find this to be all that terribly bad, I just felt that it was incredible average and quite honestly blah in parts. From what I have heard, and read myself, I feel that this is definitely the low point in Richard Adams' writing.

I think that my two main problems with this book are first the amount of space that Adams uses to push his political agenda down the reader's throat. While I totally agree that the inhumane treatment of animals in research facilities is deplorable and that something definitely must be done about such activities, after a while when reading the novel I began to dread the sections of the book that did not concern themselves directly with the dogs' activities. This leads directly to my second issue, the sections of the book that concern themselves with the dogs begin to get rather droll as well as the dogs never really make any progress towards any sort of productive goal. As a matter of fact, they travel around the countryside for days and end up returning to the same spot that they were in after their first day of freedom following their escape. It gets to be very frustrating. The last fifty pages or so, the pace does change quite a bit and the book does have a satisfying conclusion.

I had no problems what-so-ever with Adams' writing style; he does have a way with putting sentences together that make them flow fairly easily. I also rather enjoyed several of the characters in the novel, especially the two dogs and because of this, really wanted to like the novel, but just simply found it to be more of a chore to read than a pleasure. ( )
  StefanY | Jan 7, 2013 |

Richard Adamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Butler, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piet EggenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wainwright, A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
QUEEN: I will try the forces

Of these thy compounds on such creatures as

We count not worth the hanging, but none human . . .

CORNELIUS: Your Highness

Shall from this practice but make hard your heart.

--Shakespeare, Cymbeline
There is in this passage nothing that much requires a note, yet I cannot forbear to push it forward into observation. The thought would probably have been more amplified, had our author lived to be shocked with such experiments as have been published in later times, by a race of men that have practised tortures without pity, and related them without shame, and are yet suffered to erect their heads among human beings.

--Dr. Johnson
To Elizabeth, with whom I first discovered the Lake District.
The water in the metal tank slopped sideways and a treacly ripple ran along the edge, reached the corner and died away.

With the same warm sensitivity that made a bestseller of Watership Down, Richard Adams creates a lyrical and engrossing tale, a remarkable journey into the hearts and minds of two canine heroes, Snitter and Rowf, fugitives from the horrors of the animal research center.

The escape from man's cruelty is only the beginning of their chilling experiences as the flee to the isolation - and terror - of the wilderness.

First, they strike an unlikely bargain with a fox who will teach them to live by instinct alone if they agree to hunt with him. Then they find enemies springing up all around them - excitement seekers of all kinds - incited by an ambitious young reporter who calls the dogs carriers of a deadly plague.

"Thousands and thousands of people will love this book!"
THE BOSTON GLOBE
A lyrical, engrossing tale, by the author of WATERSHIP DOWN, Richard Adams creates a lyrical and engrossing tale, a remarkable journey into the hearts and minds of two canine heroes, Snitter and Rowf, fugitives from the horrors of an animal research center who escape into the isolation--and terror--of the wilderness.

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:20 -0400)

A large black mongrel named Rowf and a white terrier named Snitter escape from an animal experiment center in England's Lake District and may be carriers of bubonic plague.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,081,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible