Love is No Guarantee! What you Need to Know…

Love is No Guarantee! What you Need to Know before You fall in Love

by Peter Hector

113,689,591 (1)None
Recently added byAxiem

I am of two minds about this book.

On one hand, it really made me want to throw it across the room a lot. A good portion of it would be better called "how to be a pickup artist", and seems almost to treat love as just a game to be won or lost. It heavily assumes a gender bias, even moreso than many Christian relationship books, and seems to weave that into the text.

The author really needs a better editor; I noticed a lot of instances of bad grammar, and quite a few typos. There are times where I felt like I was reading something a 6th-grader had written, not an intelligent adult.

Also, through much of the book, he writes explicitly assuming the reader is female--after all, only women read relationship books! He handwaves with "this applies to the other side as well", but he always refers to the reader's boyfriend or husband and so on.

The only exception to this is the dating chapter, where half of it is clearly aimed at women who want to score a husband, and the other half is aimed at men who want to get laid.

As well, a lot of his references and sources are really bad, and he quotes other relationship books that back him up, as opposed to actual information.

On the other hand, this is one of the few relationship books I've seen that explores the dating landscape (albeit in a mode of "Here's how to get chicks!"), and doesn't assume a relationship to start out. It has some thought-provoking points, and does raise some good questions.

However, this is not enough to redeem it. ( )
  Axiem | Aug 4, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,166,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible