Redwall (2000)

by Brian Jacques

Series: Redwall: Publication Order (1), Redwall: Chronological Order (9)

When the peaceful life of ancient Redwall Abbey is shattered by the arrival of the evil rat Cluny and his villainous hordes, Matthias, a young mouse, determines to find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior which, he is convinced, will help Redwall's inhabitants destroy the enemy.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both wonderful stories about woodland animals that are good reads for young people, yet with so much more meaning to older readers.
    Warrior Scarlet by Rosemary Sutcliff (lmichet)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (MarcusBrutus)
    MarcusBrutus: fantasy/talking animals
    Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister (FFortuna)
    Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel (FFortuna)
    Thunder Oak by Garry Kilworth (FFortuna)

English (119)  Italian (1)  All languages (120)
I started reading these books after being introduced to them by a fellow reading nerd at a Christian family camp (ugh!). I enjoyed reading them as a young pre-teen, but I am not sure that they would stand up to a rereading now. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
The writing may not be the best in the world, but I have an intense sentimental attachment to all of these books, particularly the first. ( )
  kares | Dec 16, 2020 |
A reread but I have to say I like the Audio version a lot better. ( )
  Schmids | Nov 17, 2020 |
So many questions. Like, why are some species just bad and others are good? Why are some of their things human sized but others animal sized - wny do they use human sized dishclothes but animal sized clothes, or animal sized crockery and pots but acorn-cups. What is the relgion of the animals that makes the abbey so important? What are they monks of? Why isn't it mentioned? Why is the abbey human-sized on the outside but animal sized inside? Where are the humans? Why are all the bad animals foreign even though they're native? Why are all the good helper animals working class but the good leader animals well-spoken? Sometimes you read a book and have questions and you think, I must read the next one to find out... this one I dread reading the next one because I guess that the author didn't intend for any of these questions to happen, he just didn't think about it and all his prejudices fell out in the text. Nonsense on stilts. At least it was well plotted, but I wouldn't let my kids read this in case they absorbed all the nonsense. Gary Chalk's illustrations the best bit! ( )
2 vote elahrairah | Oct 7, 2020 |
I've meant to read this book for many years. I've owned the paperback (twice) and then donated them as I needed to pack up and move (and I have way too many books). But this year I've been scanning my local library's elibrary for new audiobooks and came across Redwall again. This time I decided to stop procrastinating and get listening.

I expected to love it, but unfortunately, found it annoying for the most part. I didn't like the constant joking around. I couldn't connect with the book, or maybe the characters. The interaction between the characters felt wrong somehow. Honestly, I can't put my finger on what I found wrong with it.

Many readers love it, and I don't want to take anything away from the author for that. I might read the second book to see if it captures my imagination more, but don't know when that will be.

I'll leave you to decide if you like it or not. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Aug 22, 2020 |

Brian Jacquesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barber, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chalk, GaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howell, TroyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keith, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the start of the Summer of the Late Rose. (Prologue)
Matthias cut a comical little figure as he wobbled his way along the cloisters, with his large sandals flip-flopping and his tail peeping from beneath the baggy folds of an oversized novice's habit.

The mice of Redwall Abbey must defend themselves against the invasion of Cluny the Scourge, a rat with ambitions of power and cruelty. In this novel of epic battle, peaceful creatures band together to defeat the enemy -- but they never lose their awareness that they are not made for violence. A young mouse, Matthias, finds his true calling as a leader-warrior and defender of the Abbey.

An enjoyable story, for advanced intermediate readers (could be a readaloud for this age group) or junior high and up.

AR 5.6, Pts 16

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,641,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible