Savage Spawn: Reflections on Violent…

Savage Spawn: Reflections on Violent Children

by Jonathan Kellerman

Interesting ideas and theories on child violence. Some of the information I already had an understanding about, but still a interesting book.
  lucasdwi | Aug 21, 2013 |
Non-fiction portrayal into the minds of the very young with mental illness. The possibility of identifying psychopathic and sociopathic children as young as three.
  ruby777 | Jun 21, 2009 |
This one is that I had to read the Evanovich book after. Jonathan Kellerman is a child clinical psychologist as well as best selling author and this is a description of how children are becoming twisted and nasty. Does not hold out hope for the future in how children are being raised with any hopes of improvement and I don't think any country could afford what he suggests to solve the problem. Although I don't know that countries CAN'T afford to at least consider some of the suggestions. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 22, 2005 |
To my young patients, who taught me so much about the resilience of the human spirit
I know the exact day I decided to write this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345429397, Paperback)

Jonathan Kellerman is best known as the author of a series of bestselling suspense novels starring psychologist sleuth Dr. Alex Delaware, but his nonliterary background is as a children's clinical psychologist. In Savage Spawn, inspired by the schoolyard shootings that took place in Jonesboro, Arkansas, and Springfield, Oregon, in 1998, he brings his training to bear on the question of how children can become cold-blooded killers. Kellerman has as much--perhaps more--to say about the broader issue of the nature of psychopathy, however, than he does about youth violence, though he does occasionally bring the two themes together. But Savage Spawn is essentially a hundred-page-plus op-ed piece rooted in Kellerman's belief that there are fundamentally bad people in the world and that the response to the perpetrators of violent acts such as the shooting at Jonesboro should be to "lock them up till they die." (Although published shortly after the multiple-death shooting in Littleton, Colorado, in 1999, the book was clearly written before this incident took place.) Readers may ultimately prefer more detailed considerations such as William Pollack's Real Boys or Lost Boys, by James Garbarino.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:55 -0400)

-- Savage Spawn BONUS: This edition includes an excerpt from Jonathan Kellerman's Guilt.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,533,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible